Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who would have thought...

+2
stevel
MissRiss
6 posters

Go down

who would have thought... Empty who would have thought...

Post  MissRiss 9/13/2010, 7:41 pm

I got an email at work today, they asked me if I was certified in Boating Safety (hence coworkers know that Tom and I boat fish regularly). Apparently, I am the only person in the company who is certified and so they asked me to come onboard our companies vessel to supervise a bridge inspection in our area. For the next 7 work days I get to sit on the boat and make sure nobody gets hurt while they inspect the bridge along the Delaware River. I get to have my sunshine, I can read my book, get paid and then some (they will also reimburse me for fuel). I am so excited, who would have thought recreational boating would tie in with work!?! This is a nice break and change of scenery considering I am stuck in an office all day everyday. Also, I am excited because this is an awesome experience that I can put on my resume. Maybe this can open some opportunities in the future :)

Debating on bringing rod with me however I dont have a freshwater license who would have thought... 870783
MissRiss
MissRiss

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

who would have thought... Empty Re: who would have thought...

Post  stevel 9/13/2010, 7:43 pm

sounds cool riss....DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR ROD.... lol! lol!
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 9/13/2010, 7:57 pm

that's awesome..... have fun and enjoy it......

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 9/14/2010, 7:30 am

Cool! Sounds like It'll be a nice break from the office!!!!

Bluesfish who would have thought... 962367
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  MissRiss 9/14/2010, 8:40 pm

survived my first day, it was crazy watching these guys on top of the bridge and under it on a scaffold.... Had a SAR (search and rescue) operation, someone dropped their notes so I had to retrieve them, haha ... it was cool but glad i was on the water- im terrifyed of heights!! they even let me have the boat to myself, it was enjoyable.
MissRiss
MissRiss

Back to top Go down

Post  gaffmaster 9/16/2010, 11:05 am

I dont know what kind of job you have but right now is a good time to ask at your company if they are going to continue to these type of jobs/inspections in our area . You should ask them if they would be interested in you getting additional "certifications" or training. You may be able to get some additional training that would benifit you later and give you an opertunity to advance in your company or at least be able to add to your resume.
OSHA offers 10hr, 30hr,7600 courses with certification and many other certificates from other organizations are available which possibly your company would pick up the tab for. You may have to go to some on your own time but winter is coming up and it will only help you down the road.
Good luck!

Might not be a good idea to bring your fishing rod to work, but look for some good spots out ther that may be good for fishing next year and buy a fresh water license and hit those spots next year!

BK

gaffmaster

Number of posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  MissRiss 9/19/2010, 2:29 am

i was teasing about the rod. actually they told me if i get my 6 pack capt. license i can run the company boat next year out of Baltimore and go out on diving inspections. something i am seriously looking into. tom is going for his now so we have the study materials, i have started to study rules of the road. there are lots of doors opening up for me right now, maybe next spring or summer i will be operating their vessel. im really excited!!
MissRiss
MissRiss

Back to top Go down

Post  gaffmaster 9/20/2010, 8:41 am

Good news and good luck!!
If you have the study guide you guys could work together asking each other every other question. You ask one and then Tom could ask you one . This will be a good way to help you both in your quest to pass the OUPV.

Good info site:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Make sure you are logging your trips.
Nothing like getting paid to be on the water.

BK

gaffmaster

Number of posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 9/20/2010, 5:28 pm

AWSOME RISS... who would have thought... 92223
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

who would have thought... Empty Who would have thought

Post  woodwker99 9/21/2010, 10:53 pm

Wow congratz! some people have all the luck. Just kidding! Great to see something good happening to someone these days. Good luck and good sailing.
woodwker99
woodwker99

Number of posts : 156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down