Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best remedies for motion sickness

+5
Oldsalts
eurojett05
stevel
holymackeral
sanmigrokz3
9 posters

Go down

Best remedies for motion sickness Empty Best remedies for motion sickness

Post  sanmigrokz3 9/5/2010, 8:34 am

After reading fishhawk's and missriss's report, my left brain says to go and try an offshore trip but my right brain reminds me of all the suicidal thoughts i'll have once on the boat.

I've tried a lot of things but so far the only thing that has helped is a watch-like bracelet made by sharper image. Its worn on the wrist and it sends intermittent electrical impulses. It just helps reduce the severity of my motion sickness. At least with this on, I can fish without chumming on my neighbor every five seconds and I'm not thinking of ways to hijack the boat and get back to the dock. The only thing is... I don't know how I'll survive a 12 hr trip if it doesn't work.

I met a scuba diver and he suggested Triptone. Its a form of Bonine and he swears by it. Something I have to try.

So.... any advice?
sanmigrokz3
sanmigrokz3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Best remedies for motion sickness Empty Re: Best remedies for motion sickness

Post  holymackeral 9/5/2010, 10:12 am

if you are that concerned with the bracelet not working, i suggest going to see your dr and getting the patch..... i know a few people that use it and say it works great..... me i'm too much of a wuss to even try it for a little while... the thought of chumming makes me quiver...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 9/5/2010, 11:08 am

3rd alot of times its all sycological , what gets me once inawhile is the fumes from the engines and the smoke...
when that gets to me its over ... lol! ....but if it does just keep fishing the worse thing to do isto go inside and stop
fishing it makes it worse....and when your busy fishing it takes your mind off it... I always take bodine as a precaution
no matter if its flat or not.... Embarassed
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  eurojett05 9/5/2010, 11:21 am

just look far away at all times. don't look down when the boat is traveling. and when you start to feel dizzy, refocus your vision far away again. It works for me. cheers

Last edited by eurojett05 on 9/5/2010, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
eurojett05
eurojett05

Number of posts : 2453

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsalts 9/5/2010, 11:33 am

Well i never have got seasick before ....Thank God for that...!!!!

I love rollercoasters and all kind of motion rides and go on as many as i can works for me ..!!!

Use to have a boat and fished the Great Bay and have ventured out front a few times .... One time came in Corsens inlet to run into 5 footer's water over the transome was not fun ...

But still never got dizzy or sick....

I think its a lot to do with mind over matter and your sykeing your self out before you even go out ...

Good luck to you on your next trip and just think of naked people on the rail fishing ....LOLOLOL

That should take your mind off everything...
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 9/5/2010, 2:25 pm

i'd say to take a bonine just in case, but it really is a mental thing. if you think youre going to get sick, then you will...but like stevel said, just keep busy and focus on the fishing, and even offshore trips can be a breeze. i've dont a lot of canyon runs with people that "get sea sick", but often their first trip offshore generates so much excitement it keeps their minds totally off the sickness--especially when that first outrigger goes off! cheers
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  gaffmaster 9/7/2010, 3:49 pm

Go to your doctor and get the "patch" I know several people who have used this with great success.

Scopolamine Patch Web info at site listed below:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

gaffmaster

Number of posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  MissRiss 9/7/2010, 3:56 pm

Believe it or not, my former boss told me ice breakers peppermints. She said her husband tried everything on the market- ginger supplements, dramamine, ear patches, bonine, the wrist band .... you name it. They went out on a barracuda trip out of OCMD (im not sure how far out) but it was rough out there and now he swares by it. Peppermint eases the stomach. In fact, Tom chewed Stride gum that was sweet peppermint flavored and helped aleviate his nauseasness, but I bet if I had those mints it would have done the trick. She told me this when I brought in a fillet for her, after the fact.... but next time now we know!
But i agree, its definetly mental and like the others mentioned, laying down is the worst you can do. Everyones different, but stay active to help keep your mind off it. I hear stories about guys who spend hundreds to thousand dollars to go out and they get sick before leaving the marina, they lay down, feel better hours later when the boats already packed up and headed in.
MissRiss
MissRiss

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 9/8/2010, 10:40 am

nothing worse than getting sick on a trip. as everyone has said it is 99% mental if you think you are gonna get sick, you will. i have found that if i bring pretzels with me that helps alot. the real salty ones (my favorite ones are rolled gold brand), and i always take a dramamine before i go out. on an overnighter i only take one and i'm fine so i know it has worn off long before we come in. hence the mental side of it. i would suggest try short trips on a party boat maybe for blues first to get your mind and body used to the motion. also they arent very long so if sick, its alot less time ralphing. i have heard about the peppermint idea and it works from what i'm told. i go out front alot and now i rarely take anything so go slowly and see how it goes.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  sanmigrokz3 9/9/2010, 12:44 am

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some advise. I'll definitely try the pretzels and peppermint. I haven't heard of that before.

I've tried a lot of things and i havent found the right combination yet. As much as i like to fish and know that there are times when being on a boat is the only way to get some action, I havent faired well with the motion sickness. I go on the party boats to fish anyway whether I get violently sick or just feel like I got a bad hangover. I never stay in the cabin or even lay down. I fish the whole time the party boat is out but there has to be something that could ease the motion sickness.

I dont think it is psychological because I can not even play video games or watch home videos. After a few minutes I start to feel uneasy. The feeling is hard to describe. Those who never experienced seasickness ......God bless you!

Those who have unfortunately experienced sea sickness....trust me, i know how it feels!

I welcome anymore suggestions! Thanks again
sanmigrokz3
sanmigrokz3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 9/9/2010, 8:17 am

have you ever talked to a doctor about this? this could stem from some type of inner ear problem. it sounds like an equilibrium problem more so than just motion sickness. my son had ear problems from birth and he would get car sick all the time and it was linked to his ears and fluid buildup. might be medical after all, might be worth looking at. could also be a vision thing. well i hope you can get past it and get out there. its a whole other world offshore.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down