Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial...

+6
eurojett05
Minivin5
Murphthesurf
FJR
stevel
holymackeral
10 posters

Go down

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Empty scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial...

Post  holymackeral 6/15/2010, 11:32 pm

so i had this bl blank laying around and decided to finally put paint to it... i wanted to mess around with scales and found something in my room that would do the job... so i grabbed the plug, the material for the scales, my airbrush and paint... i also decided to do a step by step of my process so i can learn from what i do wrong... let's see what i can come up with... (excuse the bad pics i can't take a pic worth a crap)... oh it's my kinda take on a perch....

first off... the base colors for the lines of the scales later on... i used mainly pearlized paints here faded from black to white... i did a better job than i expected to do and besides most of it will be hidden by the scales and other details later on...

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Img1276642988849

so next came the scales for the main body color... it's was supposed to be a goldeny green color.... not exactly the color i wanted but i like it... i found that being able to keep the material tight to the body helped with keeping the scales from running into each other.... i made sure the base color was dry before applying the scale material...

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Img1276602753119

well there's no pic for the next step since i kinda erased it.... i clearcoated the first scales than added the stripes like you would see on a perch... took about an hour or so for the clear to dry so i went about doing other things like mixing paints for the scales that will go over the stripes... in this pic you can kinda see the scales on the stripes..... i wanted the scales to be a darker green and when i painted them they did look darker but didn't come out that way... so i sprayed the scales and the top of the plug with the "darker green"...

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Img1276642989347

i messed up a bit on the scales for the stripes and ended up using a fine detail brush to fix the mistakes... here's where i was getting ready to finish the plug with some minor details... i touched up the plug with some pearl white and the darker green color to bring out some details like the gills and underbelly...

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Img1276602753783

another layer of clearcoat and i was ready for the final step the orange fins..... i had the color in mind of what i wanted and kinda messed it up.. i left it alone insted of trying it again... although in the future i'll know to darken my colors a bit more than i did... when you mix them on a pallete they look slightly different than when you spray them.... so here's the final result... all in all i'm happy with the finished plug and i'm looking forward to doing something similar soon...

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Img1276642990077

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Empty Re: scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial...

Post  stevel 6/16/2010, 7:23 am

wow tom looks sweeeet...great job man.... cool
looks like ed created a monster now.....watch out ...THERES A NEW BUILDER IN TOWN..... scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 962367 scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 962367
now you need to start turnin your own....MACK PLUGS....can see it now...IN A STORE NEAR YOU..... popcorn
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... Empty Re: scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial...

Post  FJR 6/16/2010, 7:47 am

Looks good, nice job !!!
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  Murphthesurf 6/16/2010, 9:25 am

Thats a really nice looking paint job Mac.. Great Job
Murphthesurf
Murphthesurf
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1567

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 6/16/2010, 9:27 am

So let me get this right... you hand painted the black?? Either way you did it.... nice paint scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 560155
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  eurojett05 6/16/2010, 9:45 am

holy mackeral!!!!! nice paint job.
Where's the eyes? Did you put it on last after clear coat?
eurojett05
eurojett05

Number of posts : 2453

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 6/16/2010, 10:46 am

jett...... i do'nt have eyes small enough..... so for now it's eyeless..... it needs to be epoxied eventually hopefully by than i'll find eyes small enough...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 6/16/2010, 11:14 am

Minivin5 wrote:So let me get this right... you hand painted the black?? Either way you did it.... nice paint scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 560155

no i did the black with an airbrush... i just had to touch it up a little with a detail brush...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  plugfreek92 6/16/2010, 4:24 pm

yeah the pics dont give the paint what it deserves. and i think the fins came out fine no matter what he says.
plugfreek92
plugfreek92

Number of posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 6/17/2010, 11:12 pm

Did your homework, and applied it very very well, wow xcelant paint scheme!

scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 560155 scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 92223

Bluesfish scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 870783
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 6/18/2010, 3:01 am

Came out great. From A to Z.
Another addict!!!!! scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 92223
tauruck
tauruck

Number of posts : 164

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 6/18/2010, 7:43 am

thanks guys...... everyone on this site has been really nice to me.... i've learned a lot from this site, with just the first few plugs i've painted... i appreciate everything you all have done for me... thank you...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  sanmigrokz3 6/19/2010, 10:45 am

Looks great!

Life is all about learning from your mistakes.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the whole process. Can't wait to see your next project! scales what i learned and what i did... kind of a tutorial... 622665
sanmigrokz3
sanmigrokz3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down