Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

line sound debate

+10
mikeybonz
holymackeral
stevel
Charlie G.
Rick..stillcasting
FNC1stMate
Fish Stick Lures
Smoke
fish factor
smitty
14 posters

Go down

line sound debate Empty line sound debate

Post  smitty 3/28/2010, 10:26 pm

OK lets hear it how many people think the sound of your line effects the catch or hook up's you have????

Do the fish hear the sound of the braid going threw your guides?

Do the fish know the sound and shy away???

Last edited by smitty on 3/28/2010, 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

line sound debate Empty Re: line sound debate

Post  fish factor 3/28/2010, 10:41 pm

i do know when fishing the rivers when the water is ripping the fish can feel the
vibration in the lline and sometimes you can feel it in the rod i often switch to
a rod with mono and have seen an increase in hook ups this mostly happen when
bait fishing
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 3/28/2010, 10:45 pm

I guess your talking throwing plugs in saltwater?My answer would be no to all qustion's..But i'll add to my .02 later after other members answer's.. cool
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Stick Lures 3/28/2010, 10:49 pm

I don't think fish shy away from the sound of your line going thru the guides.
I think that fish shy away from a plug that has un natural movement to it. A steady consistent retrieve at a speed that makes that plug Dance & Sing at the same time will put a fish on the end of your line.
Danny

Fish Stick Lures

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 3/28/2010, 10:49 pm

I'm going to let a few guys answer then i have a video of the sound they both make you might be surprised just how loud braid really is....
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FNC1stMate 3/29/2010, 12:31 pm

That braid is crazy loud, Might have something to do with fish biting. Tough to say that it wouldnt interfere with fish biting but who knows they may like it on some days.

FNC1stMate

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick..stillcasting 3/29/2010, 1:42 pm

Another in the list of things that make me go,, hmmm.
There is a vibration which is transmitted thru the line from the guides into the water/// what effect it has is debatable(thats why we're here).. My knee-jerk response is there are so many noises in surf fishing conditions it doesn't matter if your line is singing--
in a gadda da vida baby Iron Butterfly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rick..stillcasting

Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 3/29/2010, 2:30 pm

Smitty I have seen the video, and heard the noise but am not sure if it would be a deterrent or attractant to the fish to bite a lure or plug.
Some ppl use snap swivels that are an unnatural look, and we know that albbies shy away from them even at the speed they swim and chase their prey at.
I myself after catching many fish with braid while plugging (that's all I use anymore) do not believe that the majority of fish are turned away from hitting the lure because of the sound a line makes going thru the guides.
At the same time fisherman use rattles in their flies and lures which can't really make a natural sound from the bait fish they feed on. And they catch fish with them.
The water can dampen the sound some the further from the tip of your rod the lure gets. I believe this is one of them questions that we will never know the answer to. Some fish maybe be turned off by the sound and others maybe attracted. Also we don't know how the sound transfers with 50 to 100 yards of line out.
My thoughts are just fish and catch, if we be so lucky. line sound debate 870783
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 3/29/2010, 3:16 pm

WELL SAID CHARLIE..... line sound debate 560155 line sound debate 92223 line sound debate 560155
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 3/29/2010, 4:02 pm

found my new excuse for not catching fish. i mean i only use braid and i hardly ever catch fish let alone striped bass. so i believe that the noise of the line going through the guides is the reason i do not catch.

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 3/29/2010, 4:12 pm

holymackeral wrote:found my new excuse for not catching fish. i mean i only use braid and i hardly ever catch fish let alone striped bass. so i believe that the noise of the line going through the guides is the reason i do not catch.

TOM NOT TRUE I USE BRAID ONLY AND HAVE CAUGHT FISH...... line sound debate 870783
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/29/2010, 5:49 pm

i use mostly braided line, the noise is there, but so are the fish. I see no reason for change for me. But is this braided line Damaging the guides?? ive always wondered
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 3/29/2010, 8:49 pm

stevel wrote:
holymackeral wrote:found my new excuse for not catching fish. i mean i only use braid and i hardly ever catch fish let alone striped bass. so i believe that the noise of the line going through the guides is the reason i do not catch.

TOM NOT TRUE I USE BRAID ONLY AND HAVE CAUGHT FISH...... line sound debate 870783

hey it's my excuse and i'm sticking to it......... lol

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  Driftwood 3/29/2010, 8:56 pm

mikeybonz wrote:i use mostly braided line, the noise is there, but so are the fish. I see no reason for change for me. But is this braided line Damaging the guides?? ive always wondered

Depends on the particular guides you are using.

I only use braid and I don't think it affects my catch ratio.
Driftwood
Driftwood

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 3/30/2010, 8:24 am

Thats a good debate Smitty.I tend to over think things alot(yes I do think once in a while) First...we know fish have very keen sences,sight,sonar,smell. Some more than others. A few other senarios,a simple color change can be the diff for catching fish.
When fish are blitzing...why don't the diving birds spook them? A boat going thru a school of fish will make them sound, a boat or boats pulling up 20 yrds away w/ motor still running won't. I've caught plenty of bass on bait and lures, and have olny ever used braid. I don't think it distrubes the feeding patterns too much. Proper size,color,shape,and presentation...I belive are what catch fish. Figuring it all out is a diff story!!!
This is just one fishermans opinion.

Bluesfish line sound debate 870783
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  asbury guy 3/30/2010, 6:32 pm

I flunked science becouse I cut school to fish.
asbury guy
asbury guy

Number of posts : 373

http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  highhook 3/30/2010, 10:27 pm

Intresting thread Smitty, a big sound differnce in the two lines....just started using braid and did have my share but mostly in rough water. I really don't know, but it is a thaught to ponder.

highhook

Number of posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down