Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING

+3
tom1276
joesfishinproblem
rocstar21
7 posters

Go down

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING Empty NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING

Post  rocstar21 3/4/2010, 3:49 pm

HEY GUYS,

I BEEN TALKING LARGE MOUTH FISHING W/ AN OLD TIMER AT WORK, HE HAS TOLD ME HE HAS A PRIVATE LAKE IN HIS BACK YARD AND IT HOLDS BIG FISH....... I SHOWED HIM A PIC OF ONE OF MY BIGGEST FISH THAT WENT CLOSE TO 10 LBS.......... HE SAID THATS A NICE LIL GIRL THAT I CAUGHT...... I SAID LIL??? HE SAID YES, THE FISH IN MY LAKE ARE MUCH BIGGER........ SO I ASKED IF HE HAD ANY PIX???? HE SAID YES AS A MATTER A FACT LAST WEEK MY BRO IN LAW CAME DOWN AND I LET HIM USE MY ROD AND FISH IT........... HE CAUGHT A 15LBER........ I SAID GET OUT OF TOWN..... THINKING IT WAS B.S............. WELL THE NEXT DAY HE BRINGS IN A PIC, AND HOLY SH*T! IT REALLY WAS A FISH THAT HAD TO GO CLOSE TO 15LBS...... EXCITED I ASK WHEN DO YOU WANT TO FISH? HE SAID COME OVER NEXT WEEKEND.........

ANYWAY....... I GO OVER TO HIS HOUSE...... THE LAKE IS ABOUT AN ACRE....... HE SAID SOME TALAPIA ARE DIEING FROM THE COLD, I WALK TO THE WATER AND LOOK AT SOME OF THE FISH FLOATING AND TOLD HIM THOSE ARE NOT TALAPIA......... THEY ARE GIZZARD SHAD!!!

FOR ALL WHO NEVER SEEN A GIZZARD SHAD

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING GIZZARD

GIZZARD SHAD GET ON THE AVERAGE AS AN ADULT CLOSE TO 5LBS...... AND THESE IN HIS LAKE WERE THAT! NEEDLESS TO SAY, I WILL BE FISHING HIS LAKE ALL SUMMER LONG AND LOOKING TO GET THE FLORIDA RECORD LARGE MOUTH RECORD............. HE TELLS ME HE HAS CAUGHT FISH IN HIS LAKE THAT ARE BIGGER THAN THE ONE HE SHOWED ME A PIC OF!!!! AND IF THESE BASS ARE FEEDING ON THE GIZZARD SHAD! OH MY LORD I CANT WAIT TO HOOK INTO ONE!!!!

STAND BY........... PIX TO COME AS SOON AS IT STARTS TO WARM UP AND THE FISH GET ON THE BEDS!!!!

ROC
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING Empty Re: NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING

Post  joesfishinproblem 3/4/2010, 4:06 pm

i think that is a mud shad....just ask rebel he will tell ya lol
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 3/4/2010, 4:37 pm

HERE IS A PIC OF THE OLD FLA RECORD LARGE MOUTH

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING FL-largemouthbass

ITS NOW A 17LBS 4oz FISH. ................................ THERE ARE NO IMAGES OF THIS FISH THAT I CAN FIND
CAUGHT BY BILL OBERRY IN POLK COUNTY FL

HERE IS A PIC OF GEORGE PERRY'S WORLD RECORD FISH OF 77 YRS AT 22LBS AN 4oz................

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING Perrybassphoto2

JAPAN TIED THE FISH OF GEORGES RECORD IN JANUARY

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING JAPAN22LBS4OZ

HE CAUGHT IT ON A BLUEGILL.............
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 3/4/2010, 4:42 pm

ITS AN AMERICAN GIZZARD SHAD JOE....... HERE IS A LIL ABOUT EM............

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING Dorosoma_cepedianum_GLERL

American gizzard shad
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
American gizzard shad

American gizzard shad
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Actinopterygii

Order: Clupeiformes

Family: Clupeidae

Subfamily: Dorosomatinae

Genus: Dorosoma

Species: S. cepedianum

Binomial name
Dorosoma cepedianum
(Lesueur, 1818)
The American gizzard shad, Dorosoma cepedianum, is a fish of the herring family Clupeidae native to fresh and salt waters of eastern North America.

Like other gizzard shads, the body is deep somewhat forward of the middle. It is a grayish or silvery blue above, becoming silver on the sides and white below. The dorsal fin has 10-12 rays; in adults, the last ray is very long, extending beyond the rest of the fin. The caudal fin is deeply forked. They can reach a length of 22.5 inches (57 cm), and weigh up to 4.37 lbs (1980 grams).

American gizzard shad begin life feeding on zooplankton, using their teeth to catch them. At about 1 inch in length, they lose the teeth, become deeper-bodied, develop the muscular gizzard, and become filter feeders, consuming both small invertebrates and phytoplankton, as well as some sand for the gizzard.

They live in a variety of open waters, both clear and silty, including rivers, swamps, lakes, and bays, typically near the surface. They avoid fast-moving water.

Native range extends from the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River area west to eastern South Dakota and central New Mexico, as well as to the Gulf of Mexico, where it has been found as far south as Rio Panuco in Mexico.

The specific epithet cepedianum honors French naturalist Bernard Germain de Lacépède (1756-1825).

[edit] Forage Fish Controversy
This article may contain inappropriate or misinterpreted citations that do not verify the text. Please help improve this article by checking for inaccuracies. (help, talk, get involved!) (May 2009)

Gizzard shad are a preferred food of the largemouth bass, an economically important sport fish, and they reproduce rapidly. For this reason, it is widely believed that bass fishing is best where gizzard shad are abundant. Indeed, the smaller threadfin shad is a key player in Southern lakes that produce "trophy" bass. However, the practice of introducing gizzard shad to improve bass fishing is controversial.

Gizzard shad do provide large bass with a steady supply of quality food. They grow faster than bluegill and are easier for bass to swallow, so large bass (approx. five pounds or larger) benefit from shad introduction. Also, by providing bass with alternate prey, they reduce predatory pressure on young bluegill.

However, in public lakes with heavy fishing pressure, gizzard shad are of questionable value. They grow quickly and can easily grow too large for most bass to swallow, so their value as a forage fish is limited. They also compete with hatchling bass for food, reducing their survival rate and preventing many from growing to "replace" the legal-size bass kept by fishermen. If sufficient food is available (e.g., a healthy bluegill population), bass do not grow any faster in the presence of shad.

Although bluegill enjoy reduced predatory pressure in the presence of gizzard shad, their young also compete with shad for food. As a result, they grow more slowly; it takes four years for a hatchling bluegill to reach six inches in length when gizzard shad are present, compared with three years in the absence of shad.

Gizzard shad contribute to eutrophication, both by fertilizing algae with their copious feces and by preying on "grazing" zooplankton that normally feed on algae.

In spite of the possible benefits to trophy-size bass, gizzard shad generally have a negative effect on sport fish. Most wildlife management agencies try to prevent their spread. Using them as live bait is illegal in most public lakes, and deliberately introducing any fish into a public body of water is illegal as well.

[edit] References
William F. Sigler and John W. Sigler, Fishes of Utah (University of Utah Press, 1996), pp. 59–62
Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2006). "Dorosoma cepedianum" in FishBase. October 2006 version.
Doug Keller, "The Truth about Shad." Outdoor Indiana, May/June 2006, pp. 37–39.
"Stocking Gizzard Shad for Trophy Bass," Kedric Nutt. Retrieved 3/14/2008.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_gizzard_shad"
Categories: Clupeidae
Hidden categories: Articles lacking sources from May 2009 | All articles lacking sourcesViewsArticle Discussion Edit this page History Personal toolsTry Beta Log in / create account Navigation
Main page
Contents
Featured content
Current events
Random article
Search
Interaction
About Wikipedia
Community portal
Recent changes
Contact Wikipedia
Donate to Wikipedia
Help
Toolbox
What links here
Related changes
Upload file
Special pages
Printable version
Permanent link
Cite this page

This page was last modified on 26 January 2010 at 15:17.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.
Wikipedia®️ is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
Contact us Privacy policy About Wikipedia Disclaimers
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 3/4/2010, 6:07 pm

OH AND HERE IS A PIC OF MY BIGGEST LARGE MOUTH TO DATE, HAD NO SCALE TO WEIGH HER........ BUT SHE WAS AS LONG MY ARM WHICH FROM FINGER TIP TO SHOULDER IS 27 INCHES.....

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING Bassnit043
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  tom1276 3/4/2010, 8:54 pm

NICE FISH!!!!!!!!!
tom1276
tom1276

Number of posts : 572

Back to top Go down

Post  kc 3/4/2010, 9:32 pm

Nice fish!
Sounds like a great pond you've got access to. I'll be hitting my favorite local pond soon (this weekend, weather permitting) for some pre-spawn female bass. The bite should be starting here in OR once the water temp hits the mid 50's.
kc
kc

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 3/5/2010, 10:18 am

I've got to move to Fla. getting tried of winters.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/5/2010, 6:47 pm

nothing like a private lake thats hold big bass!
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 3/5/2010, 11:42 pm

FJR wrote:I've got to move to Fla. getting tried of winters.

COME ON DOWN FRANK! cheers
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/6/2010, 11:03 am

NEW LAKE I WILL BE FISHING Dolly

yo rock have you ever seen dolly ? even tho they were site fishing, this is still some fish!
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 3/6/2010, 11:15 pm

yes bonz i have, the fish has a some gut on her huh? when you coming down to fl next????
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/7/2010, 5:23 pm

roc, im trying to plan a trip do alittle snookin. get your uncle to go i keep telling him i can use the timeshare i have.
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 3/7/2010, 11:53 pm

mikeybonz wrote:roc, im trying to plan a trip do alittle snookin. get your uncle to go i keep telling him i can use the timeshare i have.

JUST LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ARE THINKING OF DATES, SO I CAN TRY AND MAKE SURE I GOTA DAY TO FISH W/ YA..........

MAY, JUNE, AND JULY ARE THE BEST MONTHS
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  FNC1stMate 3/30/2010, 4:33 pm

sheeeewwwwww baby thats sounds like a nice little pond. I bet with the right conditions you could prolly use those huge crazy swim baits plastic or rubber. Sounds like you really played your cards right on that deal to get permission to fish that pond man. Good luck and were all jealous. Nice bass too, I bet you look at that picture everyday on the wall, I would.

FNC1stMate

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 4/1/2010, 10:09 am

FNC1stMate wrote:sheeeewwwwww baby thats sounds like a nice little pond. I bet with the right conditions you could prolly use those huge crazy swim baits plastic or rubber. Sounds like you really played your cards right on that deal to get permission to fish that pond man. Good luck and were all jealous. Nice bass too, I bet you look at that picture everyday on the wall, I would.

thanx, June and july were my best months last year! cant wait to hit em up!!!!
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  FNC1stMate 4/2/2010, 1:44 am

So rocstar I guess the fish are back to there normal schedule by then down there. I was wondering if it was legal could you put 1 of those live shad on a hook and go to town? Sounds like a great way to get a youngster or somebody like me that has never got a real large bass there first. I love them little ponds even if there full of 1 pounders great way to get your line tight after work and no competition.(not so much a tournament but people fishing the same spots you wanted to before you could get there. Hopefully I can get my first snook this fall/winter(at the latest). Also I know you guys call them trash fish but I love them ladyfish when my box is full. My connection down there said they get over 2 foot, mine were 14-15.5 inches and they were a blast. They jump more then mahi and look real cool. Next time man
good luck dude enjoy that Florida weather while ya still can.

FNC1stMate

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 4/4/2010, 11:46 am

FNC1stMate wrote:So rocstar I guess the fish are back to there normal schedule by then down there. I was wondering if it was legal could you put 1 of those live shad on a hook and go to town? Sounds like a great way to get a youngster or somebody like me that has never got a real large bass there first. I love them little ponds even if there full of 1 pounders great way to get your line tight after work and no competition.(not so much a tournament but people fishing the same spots you wanted to before you could get there. Hopefully I can get my first snook this fall/winter(at the latest). Also I know you guys call them trash fish but I love them ladyfish when my box is full. My connection down there said they get over 2 foot, mine were 14-15.5 inches and they were a blast. They jump more then mahi and look real cool. Next time man
good luck dude enjoy that Florida weather while ya still can.

yes you can throw em on and use them for bait........... the weather is much better, but the fish are all behind schedule about a month........ most are in spots that they would have been a month or so ago!!!! cant wait till the water temp hits 68!!!!! then it will be on like donkey kong!!!!!
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  FNC1stMate 4/9/2010, 2:22 am

Yea man the bass are real sluggish up here as well. On easter instead of fishin I raked my grandmoms yard and fixed
other odds and ends for her but my brother did go with my dad. My brother fished for 4 hours with no fish then got a
3.6 pounder on a pumpkin seed zoom and a pickerel, Dad got a few pickerel as well and lost a estimated 2 foot
pickerel at the boat(luckily). I went out yesterday with my freshwater partner for 6 1/2 hours and got 4 pickerel and a
nice yellow perch on suspending rapala perch color and 1 on a black and blue lizard, my buddy got a few pickerel and
a solid pounder on pumpkin seed lizard right before sundown. We caught most of are fish from 1 to 4 oclock. air temp high 80's,
windy (double anchor day), and not a cloud in the sky. Weather will be cool the next few days so bass prolly won't turn on for a little
while. water level was real high too. One of are local small shallow ponds had a few beds I heard but they will prolly give up on that for
awhile do to high 60's for the next week and 39 for the low on Saturday night. I bet a drop shot get up would work for bass now if you fished it really slow (3-4 minutes per cast) I'll have to give it a shot on sunday (70 for the high and sunny as of now) so now I will be prepared to fish extremely slow, atleast we got pickerel to keep us occupied while we wait for the bass bite to turn on, they are here you just got to work for them. Good luck man and catchem up.

FNC1stMate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down