Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bucktails ???

+12
StripercoastNY
njplugger
Driftwood
Fishtale
fishpro
mikeybonz
REDBASS
jojofish
fish factor
first2wins
rocstar21
Smoke
16 posters

Go down

Bucktails ??? Empty Bucktails ???

Post  Smoke 2/26/2010, 8:54 pm

How many members here fish Bucktails?Also what size do most of you all fish?Also the preferred hook size that you like..Thanks Smoke Bucktails ??? 870783
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Bucktails ??? Empty Re: Bucktails ???

Post  rocstar21 2/26/2010, 9:31 pm

I LOVE TO FISH BUCKTAILS SMOKE.........

THE SIZE FOR MATTERS ON THE WATER DEPTH AND WHAT I ROD AN REEL I AM USING........... MOST OF THE TIME I AM USING 1/4 OZ - 1 OZ....... INSHORE.......

OFFSHORE I USE 1 OZ - 3 OZ.................

NOW COLORS DEPENDS ON THE WATER CALARITY........... IN CLEAR WATER I LIKE BRIGHT COLORS........ IN MERKY AND MUDDY WATER I LIKE WHITE, GOLD, ROOTBEER W/ GOLD FLAKE AND NEW PENNY COLOR W/ GOLD FLAKE.........

FOR SNOOK...... MY MOST PRODUCTIVE COLOR IS RED AND WHITE......... BY RED TAIL HAWK....... I AM WILLING TO BET IT WOULD BE A KILLER ON THE STRIPERS ALSO..........
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  first2wins 2/26/2010, 9:39 pm

I am getting better and use White or yellow mostly in .75 and 1.5 but have a few 2 and 3oz
Get in touch with TriPlex He does a good job with the bucktails and uses some strong hooks in his modified molds.
first2wins
first2wins

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 2/26/2010, 9:44 pm

rocstar21 wrote:I LOVE TO FISH BUCKTAILS SMOKE.........

THE SIZE FOR MATTERS ON THE WATER DEPTH AND WHAT I ROD AN REEL I AM USING........... MOST OF THE TIME I AM USING 1/4 OZ - 1 OZ....... INSHORE.......

OFFSHORE I USE 1 OZ - 3 OZ.................

NOW COLORS DEPENDS ON THE WATER CALARITY........... IN CLEAR WATER I LIKE BRIGHT COLORS........ IN MERKY AND MUDDY WATER I LIKE WHITE, GOLD, ROOTBEER W/ GOLD FLAKE AND NEW PENNY COLOR W/ GOLD FLAKE.........

FOR SNOOK...... MY MOST PRODUCTIVE COLOR IS RED AND WHITE......... BY RED TAIL HAWK....... I AM WILLING TO BET IT WOULD BE A KILLER ON THE STRIPERS ALSO..........
Roc,Sounds like some sick colors Bro.Give it some time cool joejr will be tying some nice stuff in a few weeks.. Bucktails ??? 962367 Bucktails ??? 962367
Smoke
Smoke

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 2/26/2010, 11:29 pm

plain jane white for me 2 to 3 ounce with 4/0 and a 5/0
cant wait to see what jr is gonna pull off
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  jojofish 2/27/2010, 10:40 am

William "Doc" Muller has a book "The Ultimate Guide To Fishing With Bucktails" even though he strongly suggests Uncle Josh products, his insight on using this versatile lure is a must read and has helped me fine tune my approach to using bucktails
jojofish
jojofish

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 2/27/2010, 1:07 pm

1 1/2 TOO 3 OZ WHITE / YELLOW/ RED WITH A 8 / 0 HOOK.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 2/27/2010, 1:13 pm

REDBASS wrote:1 1/2 TOO 3 OZ WHITE / YELLOW/ RED WITH A 8 / 0 HOOK.
Bro,Thats how they will be made.8/0 all the way.. Very Happy
Smoke
Smoke

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 2/27/2010, 2:08 pm

2-3 oz yellow/chartrus always with a rind!
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 2/27/2010, 11:53 pm

I use bucktails mostly for fluke fishing in the 1/2oz to 8oz....Spro type that I make
For bass I like the round or banana style in white with a red or purple rubber worm and yellow bucktails get a white curly tails.
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 393

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/2/2010, 9:55 pm

Hey Joe... You know that 70% my fishing is done with a bucky.. 1.5 up to 3oz. Of those sizes, white is 80%-90% of the time, there are a few occassions that I will use yellow or green, but that is water specific. So, all you need is a few 1.5oz in white (lots of hair) with a 8/0 hook to get started. Forget the smilin jig heads, I feel the lips did it almost like a darter, use the bullet head types. Also, the extra hair will make it more bouyant, this way you can reduce the speed of the retrieve making it more appetizing to a fish, not to mention keeping it above the rocks. One last thing, dress it with some 6" curly tails in a heavy rip, pork in a slower rip and split tail pork in calm water. When you catch your keeper, I'll take it bar-b-qued[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  Driftwood 3/3/2010, 12:31 pm

jojofish wrote:William "Doc" Muller has a book "The Ultimate Guide To Fishing With Bucktails" even though he strongly suggests Uncle Josh products, his insight on using this versatile lure is a must read and has helped me fine tune my approach to using bucktails

Couldn't have said it better. A good read and easy to comprehend.
Driftwood
Driftwood

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  njplugger 3/6/2010, 10:50 am

I use Andrus Rip Splitter white bucktails all the time, my
"go to".

Usually 1 ounce or 1 1/4 does the trick.

Very Happy
njplugger
njplugger

Number of posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  StripercoastNY 3/8/2010, 10:21 pm

I use mostly white from 1/2 oz all the way up to 5 oz. All depends on where I am fishing. I will also occasionally use yellow, chartreuse, Black, Blurple and red.

I use almost exclusively smiling bills. I would have to disagree with Fishtale on this one. I have never seen a smiling bill dart. The only way a hunk of lead is going to move is if you are using much too light weight in heavy current. They will also give you a slower descent then a bullet head along with extra hair. Bullet heads and especially butter beans will sink more quickly so less weight for stronger currents and depths is necessary.

I use bucks with both almost too much hair and also very sparse. Some of this depends on weight and current but also the size of baitfish in the area. If there is a ton of sandeels, big hair bucks may not be the answer. On the inverse is pods of anchovies that a larger profile buck may imitate better or just stand out better.

Who the hell really knows why or how anyway?

StripercoastNY

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 3/8/2010, 10:27 pm

great response stripercoast...
I wish i spent more time with the buck tails but just never really had the feel for them so often just shy away from them..

this just might be the year to make a change and give more time toward them
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 3/9/2010, 4:14 pm

Joe I mostly use bucktails in the surf for fluke. Tipped with a Gulp swimming minnow . I usually use 1oz or 1 1/2oz in white with a little pink or chartreuse mixed in.
Do you pour your own jigs joe ? That would be the way to go if you wanted to customize them, am I right ??
I've never caught a striper on a bucktail but thats cause I don't throw them alot I guess. I have pork to put on as a trailer to.
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/9/2010, 6:09 pm

StripercoastNY wrote:I use mostly white from 1/2 oz all the way up to 5 oz. All depends on where I am fishing. I will also occasionally use yellow, chartreuse, Black, Blurple and red.

I use almost exclusively smiling bills. I would have to disagree with Fishtale on this one. I have never seen a smiling bill dart. The only way a hunk of lead is going to move is if you are using much too light weight in heavy current. They will also give you a slower descent then a bullet head along with extra hair. Bullet heads and especially butter beans will sink more quickly so less weight for stronger currents and depths is necessary.

I use bucks with both almost too much hair and also very sparse. Some of this depends on weight and current but also the size of baitfish in the area. If there is a ton of sandeels, big hair bucks may not be the answer. On the inverse is pods of anchovies that a larger profile buck may imitate better or just stand out better.

Who the hell really knows why or how anyway?

I never said it "darted" I said it "digs in" like a darter would. I've thrown every shape bucktail ever invented and the Andrus JettyCaster bullet style work the best. Same weight bucks; One Smillin' and one JettyCaster, the smillin' will bottom out before the jettycaster. My opinion it has to do with the lip affecting the swim rate. The jettycaster moves through the water with less resistance and will allow you to use a slightly lighter lure and let you retreive slower. Keep in mind, this is strictly from fishing from the shoreline, boat fishing guys may have different opinion or lure choice.
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 3/9/2010, 6:41 pm

Charlie G. wrote:Joe I mostly use bucktails in the surf for fluke. Tipped with a Gulp swimming minnow . I usually use 1oz or 1 1/2oz in white with a little pink or chartreuse mixed in.
Do you pour your own jigs joe ? That would be the way to go if you wanted to customize them, am I right ??
I've never caught a striper on a bucktail but thats cause I don't throw them alot I guess. I have pork to put on as a trailer to.
CG,Yes i pour my own jigs and powder coat them,as i think it is the best way to coat a jig ........ :read: I also 7/0 to 9/0's mustad H/Duty hooks,For 1 to 3oz heads.So yes the are all custom made. USA
Smoke
Smoke

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnut 3/14/2010, 9:16 pm

can not wait to try them
fishnut
fishnut

Number of posts : 156

Back to top Go down

Post  slamming snizz69 3/15/2010, 12:22 pm

i like to use bucktails from 3\4 to 3oz depending on weather, tide, dept, were im fishing and what im fishing for. as fishtale said the andrus jetty casters ( bullet head) are the best. the colors i like to use are whiye, green, yellow and some times black. tip anyone of those colors with uncle josh 70s rind in red/white, white, green, and black/ blue and ur ready to go
slamming snizz69
slamming snizz69

Number of posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnut 3/20/2010, 11:17 am

smitty wrote:great response stripercoast...
I wish i spent more time with the buck tails but just never really had the feel for them so often just shy away from them..

Smitty once you get the confidence in using a bucktail you will use it more than any other lure.
fishnut
fishnut

Number of posts : 156

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 3/20/2010, 12:24 pm

fishnut wrote:
smitty wrote:great response stripercoast...

Smitty once you get the confidence in using a bucktail you will use it more than any other lure.
Big C,Smitty will be getting bucktails as soon as my new vise comes in.. cool
Smoke
Smoke

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down