Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert!

2 posters

Go down

Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert! Empty Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert!

Post  Bayside Arty 1/29/2010, 9:45 am

Stripers Forever members – some great news from the State of New York. A4112, a bill to prohibit commercial fishing for striped bass in the Hudson River – effectively making it a game fish there - has already passed the Assembly. S4948, the Senate version of this bill, is coming up for a hearing before the Environmental Conservation Committee on Feb. 23. The bill is sponsored by Senator Antoine M. Thompson, the Chairman of the committee. The Hudson is the second largest spawning ground for striped bass; keeping it free from the pressures of commercial gill netting is vital to the health of the striper population. We all need to get behind this bill now to make sure it takes effect.

Here is what you can do to help:
If you are a NY State resident you should e-mail or even better, phone, write and e-mail the office of your state senator today and tell him or her that you want their support for S4948, the bill to protect Hudson River striped bass from the pressures of commercial fishing. You should also send a copy of your e-mail or letter to all Senators on the Environmental Conservation committee.
If you are not a NY State resident you should still e-mail or write the Senators on the committee and tell them that striped bass spawned in the Hudson are important to the whole coastal fishery, and that they should be protected from commercial harvest. If you fish the Hudson for stripers, especially if you travel to get there, stay in a hotel, or fish with a guide, please be sure to point this out in your communication. The economic benefits are key rationale for this bill.

Here are the e-mail links that you will need:
For NY residents to find their State Senator: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To find the members of the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Be aware that a handful of shad gill netters on the Hudson are clamoring to be allowed to net stripers now that the shad are gone. They have their supporters; we must make sure that this additional pressure is not put on the already struggling striped bass population. With the fishing pressure and disease issues that persist in the Chesapeake Bay striper stocks, we can’t allow the Hudson to go back to the commercial striper fishing that nearly wiped it out more than 30 years ago.

NY residents, here is a sample letter to copy, paste, and send to your senator. Please feel free to modify it into your own words, and to add whatever additional comments you want. Your letters to senators on the Committee can be essentially the same except for not saying that you live in their district.

Dear Senator (name):

My name is (your name) and I live in your district in the town of ( your town).
The future of striped bass is very important to me. Thirty years ago Hudson River stripers were almost wiped out by commercial fishing pressure. The fishery has been closed to commercial fishing since 1976, and the population has recovered, though breeding age fish are under intense fishing pressure in the ocean. Striped bass support a robust recreational fishery that is very valuable to the economies of the towns from Troy to Manhattan. Senate bill S4948 has been referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee. It is very important to me that you support this bill.

Sincerely,
Your Name, Town, State
your e-mail address and phone number

For those residing outside of NY, here is a sample letter to copy, paste, and send to members of the Environmental Conservation Committee. Please feel free to modify it into your own words, and to add whatever additional comments you want. Please try to send it to every member of the committee.

My name is (your name) and I live (town, state). I am writing to urge you to support S4948, the bill to protect Hudson River striped bass from the resumption of commercial fishing. The Hudson River is one of the major spawning areas for the migratory East coast striped bass stock. This is the most important recreational salt water species in America. Like all saltwater species, stripers are already threatened by intense fishing pressure and pollution. Thirty years ago Hudson River stripers were almost wiped out by commercial fishing pressure. This fishery has been closed to commercial harvest since 1976, and the population has recovered, though breeding age fish are under heavy fishing pressure in the ocean. Senate bill S4948 has been referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee. It is very important to me that you support this bill.

Sincerely,
Your Name, Town, State
your e-mail address and phone number

Note – A copy of S4948 is available under General News on the Stripers Forever website - just Google up Stripers Forever. We are not including a link to try and keep our e-mails from being caught in spam filters.
Bayside Arty
Bayside Arty

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert! Empty .....

Post  skippy 1/29/2010, 12:47 pm

I have my state senator on my quick connect list, he has recieved hundred if not thousands
of gripes from me, as well as the occassional support, great thread, I encourage all to be involved, the lobbyest for the commercial guys have more a platform then ever, specially when they are talking about longlinning again in florida, please everyone take a minute to lobby for yourself,,,,,

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert! Empty Re: Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert!

Post  Bayside Arty 1/29/2010, 1:29 pm

I passed this on because These Senators dont see us they only see the commercial fishing because they have the money to send lawers . It cant hurt to drop them a letter/e-mail/phone call Please dont get me Wrong we do have people fighting for us but its not enough so please let them know how youy feel
Bayside Arty
Bayside Arty

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert! Empty Re: Subject: [Stripers_FED] Hudson River Action Alert!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down