Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raritan Bay - Is this possible?

+8
AKScuba
Jignpro
mikeybonz
joesfishinproblem
echopeus
fishincrazy
fish factor
Kevnmary
12 posters

Go down

Raritan Bay - Is this possible? Empty Raritan Bay - Is this possible?

Post  Kevnmary 10/4/2009, 10:34 pm

I get email reports from another fishing website and some one reported that they spotted a manatee in the Raritan River this weekend. Did anyone hear anything about this? Could that be possible?
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Raritan Bay - Is this possible? Empty Re: Raritan Bay - Is this possible?

Post  fish factor 10/4/2009, 10:48 pm

anything is possible in raritan bay we get harbor seals rays even get some sharks 3 yrs
ago a couple guyd hooked a 175 mako in a tin boat and landed it in perth amboy go figure
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 10/4/2009, 11:08 pm

I saw it too Kev there's been reports of Manatees in the delaware river all the way up in Philly so I guess it's possible???

FC

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 10/5/2009, 2:18 pm

maybe it was someone getting ready for the polar plung lol!
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  echopeus 10/5/2009, 4:46 pm

I doubt its a manatee i think its a porpoise... manatees dont leave the warm waters of the caribbean

echopeus

Number of posts : 173

http://www.echoind.com

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 10/5/2009, 7:02 pm

Kevnmary wrote:I get email reports from another fishing website and some one reported that they spotted a manatee in the Raritan River this weekend. Did anyone hear anything about this? Could that be possible?

hey kev i heard you were swimmming in the raritan river this weekend you look alot like a "sea cow" homo homo lol! lol! lol!
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 10/5/2009, 11:01 pm

echopeus wrote:I doubt its a manatee i think its a porpoise... manatees dont leave the warm waters of the caribbean

Not true confirmed sightings in Md on the chesapeak bay and just 4-5 years ago confirmed sightings on the Delaware river in the Philadelphia.

FC

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 10/6/2009, 1:07 am

joesfishinproblem wrote:
Kevnmary wrote:I get email reports from another fishing website and some one reported that they spotted a manatee in the Raritan River this weekend. Did anyone hear anything about this? Could that be possible?

hey kev i heard you were swimmming in the raritan river this weekend you look alot like a "sea cow" Raritan Bay - Is this possible? 745333 Raritan Bay - Is this possible? 745333 Raritan Bay - Is this possible? Lol Raritan Bay - Is this possible? Lol Raritan Bay - Is this possible? Lol

Ok were even! I owed you that one! When are we fishing again Joe?
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 10/6/2009, 1:02 pm

KEVMARY I HEARD THEY SAW A MANATEE THAT WAS A BABBY MAYBE 200-300 POUNDS NEAR A JETTY OVER THERE NOT SURE HOW TRU IT WAS BUT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE SAW IT!!
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  echopeus 10/6/2009, 1:05 pm

fishincrazy wrote:
echopeus wrote:I doubt its a manatee i think its a porpoise... manatees dont leave the warm waters of the caribbean

Not true confirmed sightings in Md on the chesapeak bay and just 4-5 years ago confirmed sightings on the Delaware river in the Philadelphia.

FC

yeah just read up on him... interesting... i also read that one died in the delaware... but prodominantly they are warm water cows... Very Happy

echopeus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jignpro 10/6/2009, 3:07 pm

Yea I heard about that too. Very interesting and if it actually happened what a nice sight in the sunrise throwing plugs off a jetty.

Jignpro

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 10/14/2009, 5:33 pm

echopeus wrote:
fishincrazy wrote:

FC

yeah just read up on him... interesting... i also read that one died in the delaware... but prodominantly they are warm water cows... Very Happy

We had 80 degree water this summer...
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

Raritan Bay - Is this possible? Empty well here ya go...

Post  echopeus 10/19/2009, 11:35 am

LINDEN -- A rescue attempt is being planned for Ilya, a Florida manatee stuck near an oil refinery in New Jersey where plunging temperatures and a lack of food are endangering his life.
The gentle sea cow has been known to marine scientists for 10 years as he made his way up and down the East Coast. He has recently been spotted in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Maryland.
But today he was huddling near an outfall pipe at an oil refinery in Linden, the only place he could find warm water.
A noreaster pummeling New Jersey with wind and rain today was making things even more dangerous for Ilya, who needs to be in water with temperatures of 68 degrees or warmer. The water where he is now is between 60 and 64 degrees.
Charles Underwood, a spokesman for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said Iyla may not be able to survive long in such temperatures.
"Above 68, they're OK. Below that, they become susceptible to hypothermia. That's our concern," he said.
The Marine Mammal Stranding Center, a rescue group located in Brigantine, just outside Atlantic City, received permission from federal wildlife officials to attempt a rescue this weekend.
Bob Schoelkopf, the center's co-director, said foul weather today made an attempt impossible. They may try Saturday or Sunday if the weather improves.
The rescue would involve loading Ilya aboard a special boat and taking him to their facility, where he could be placed in a heated holding tank for a few days to warm up.
After that, Ilya could be flown to Florida, possibly aboard a military transport plane.
The manatee is in a small tributary of the Arthur Kill, a narrow waterway separating New Jersey and Staten Island, N.Y.
Staffers with the group were at the refinery site today, taking photos of Ilya, who appeared to be in good shape.
"He looks fairly robust, from what we can see," Schoelkopf said.
For now, authorities are guarding the animal, which is already in a section of the fenced-off and heavily guarded refinery that is inaccessible to the public.
"Some of them were going to get lettuce for him, to try to keep him there until the storm passes," Underwood said.

echopeus

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 10/19/2009, 5:30 pm

well i hope all ends ok it would be sad to hear of a tragic ending like the dolphins in the navasink
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  asbury guy 11/1/2009, 8:17 pm

they taste like chicken
asbury guy
asbury guy

Number of posts : 373

http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kingfishking 1/8/2010, 8:14 pm

personaly i say its possible cause u never kno what u will see on the water like me iv seen a serpent like body arch in the water with spike like fins never found out what it was but it was wierd.
kingfishking
kingfishking
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 458

http://www.mtlmfg.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  asbury guy 1/13/2010, 8:21 pm

Send me some of the stuff you were on bro. It's been a long time for me.
asbury guy
asbury guy

Number of posts : 373

http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 1/14/2010, 8:45 pm

it is possible what you saw was an atlantic sturgon i have seen them in the bay in the past
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachboy 3/8/2010, 2:07 pm

I think so if there were so many witnesses. Almost anything is possible. cool cool cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy :read:

BB
Beachboy
Beachboy

Number of posts : 282

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down