Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Balsa Saltwater projects.

+12
etch
stevel
Swagman
Oldsalts
fishincrazy
whitey
buddah
fish factor
Husky
Minivin5
smitty
tauruck
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Balsa Saltwater projects. Empty Balsa Saltwater projects.

Post  tauruck 9/6/2009, 2:12 pm

Two hand carved Balsa lures ready for molding. Length 8". Saltwater application. Kingfish and Shad (Blue). Two of 20 in the series. All will be Carbon fiber.[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. KingShad-1[/url]
tauruck
tauruck

Number of posts : 164

Back to top Go down

Balsa Saltwater projects. Empty Re: Balsa Saltwater projects.

Post  tauruck 9/6/2009, 2:14 pm

Kingfish in first mold half.[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. KinginMold[/url]
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 9/6/2009, 2:15 pm

holy crap thay look awesome i cant wait to see it all done cause i want one lol.... Very Happy
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 9/6/2009, 2:16 pm

Wow nice job carving those out :shock: You say you are moulding them with carbon fiber, this is something new to me. I can not wait to see them finished Balsa Saltwater projects. 962367

Last edited by Minivin5 on 9/6/2009, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/6/2009, 2:16 pm

[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. Kingmold[/url]
Completed mold. Ready to be cleaned and polished for production.
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/6/2009, 2:25 pm

Minivin5 wrote:Wow nice job carving those out :shock: You say you are moulding they with carbon fiber, this is something new to me. I can not wait to see them finished Balsa Saltwater projects. 962367
We all know what the "toothy" ones do to Balsa and with my background being in composites I have hundreds off offcuts lying around so I finally found a use for them. After the Carbon shell is done with the ballast inserted I'll fill with a foam filler. This is also new to me but I figure it's the same as any other job I've tackled before and I'm impatient as hell. I should be able to post some pics by next weekend. The other reason for this is that the carvings turned out really nice and I don't want to have to go through it again. I got lucky first time around. What's your opinion on using the mold above to pour some plastic as well?. Thanks.
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 9/6/2009, 2:33 pm

tauruck wrote:
Minivin5 wrote:Wow nice job carving those out :shock: You say you are moulding they with carbon fiber, this is something new to me. I can not wait to see them finished Balsa Saltwater projects. 962367
We all know what the "toothy" ones do to Balsa and with my background being in composites I have hundreds off offcuts lying around so I finally found a use for them. After the Carbon shell is done with the ballast inserted I'll fill with a foam filler. This is also new to me but I figure it's the same as any other job I've tackled before and I'm impatient as hell. I should be able to post some pics by next weekend. The other reason for this is that the carvings turned out really nice and I don't want to have to go through it again. I got lucky first time around. What's your opinion on using the mold above to pour some plastic as well?. Thanks.

Well Husky and Rowhunter are the mould guys here, they know whats going on with that. I carve Basswood plugs, I have never
poured any lures yet. I am excited to see what a carbon fiber lure looks like though cheers
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/6/2009, 2:40 pm

Minivin5 wrote:
tauruck wrote:

Well Husky and Rowhunter are the mould guys here, they know whats going on with that. I carve Basswood plugs, I have never
poured any lures yet. I am excited to see what a carbon fiber lure looks like though cheers
Husky is helping with advice and other stuff alrady for which I'm grateful. :)
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Husky 9/6/2009, 3:07 pm

tauruck wrote:
Minivin5 wrote:
tauruck wrote:

Husky is helping with advice and other stuff alrady for which I'm grateful. :)
Mike,
While I love what you did, I have a couple of reservations. Using the
foam in a mold like that requires a MR. Then, you must take special care to wash
your castings thoroughly!! I'd let mine degas for a couple of days and
then wash them with soap and hot water, then run them through the dish
washer.
With Silicone molds, no MR is needed and UR doesn't need the degassing time Foam does. IOW, it's easier and faster.

I love what you did and keep your models in a safe place. :roll:
Husky
Husky

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 9/6/2009, 3:26 pm

wow i cant wait to see finished product i like it
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/6/2009, 4:32 pm

Thanks Mike.
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  buddah 9/6/2009, 5:13 pm

Fantastic work, that kingie(trevally) and shad are great, by any chance have you done a leerfish(garrick)?

buddah

Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 9/6/2009, 7:47 pm

smitty took the words out of my mouth HOLY CRAP Balsa Saltwater projects. 92223

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Balsa Saltwater projects. Empty BIG RED LETTERS!!!!!!!!!

Post  fishincrazy 9/6/2009, 9:41 pm

tauruck Their SWEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

FC Balsa Saltwater projects. 92223

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/7/2009, 2:17 am

I've got Garrick, Yellowfin Tuna, Amberjack, Dorado and about 14 others in various stages of completion. Guys thanks for the kind words. I'm inspired more than ever.
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsalts 9/7/2009, 8:49 am

Sweet work ..!!!!

Do you do swaps...???? :shock:

If you do i am in for one...!!! :) Very Happy

Salts
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/7/2009, 9:36 am

Oldsalts wrote:Sweet work ..!!!!

Do you do swaps...???? :shock:

If you do i am in for one...!!! :) Very Happy

Salts
Never done any swaps before but when the first batch comes good for sure. Thanks for the offer.
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Swagman 9/10/2009, 4:01 pm

tauruck wrote:Two hand carved Balsa lures ready for molding. Length 8". Saltwater application. Kingfish and Shad (Blue). Two of 20 in the series. All will be Carbon fiber.[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. KingShad-1[/url]
Awesome Mikey. I can't wait for it to be done so I can pop around to see it.

Swagman

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 9/10/2009, 4:36 pm

yea man come on lets see more you have had a week.....lol
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 9/10/2009, 4:53 pm

WOW THOSE THINGS ARE AWSOME :affraid: LOOKS ALMOST LIKE IVORY GREAT JOB ANOTHER AWSOME BUILDER :you da man: Balsa Saltwater projects. 560155 :you da man:
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 9/10/2009, 6:36 pm

impressive to say the least :you da man: :you da man: :you da man: Balsa Saltwater projects. 560155

Etch
etch
etch

Number of posts : 1193

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com/Etch-Custom-Lures-h2.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/14/2009, 1:43 am

Here's another 8". One of my favourite fish. Yellowfin Tuna. Has some more work on it but it's close. Cool thing is that I'm busy on other projects as well so I fashioned a multi lure hanger with some springs and hooks on it for putting on primer. Just leave the lures on it and add spray filler when I feel like. 17 to go but I have the feeling that the first Carbon one will be built by weekend. Not painted but the halves will be bonded.
[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. Tuna2[/url][url]Balsa Saltwater projects. Tuna1[/url]
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/14/2009, 1:58 am

My first ever Popper. I don't have a lathe and the guy that's turning for me is slow to say the least. I couldn't wait so I decided to try shape it by hand. It got away from me somewhat but the shape I ended up with is OK, I think. Well, It sure is different if anything. 6" long. It kinda evolved. I reshaped the cup at the end and I think it looks better. I'd like to build the same in 10" and 12". It's nothing like the beautiful poppers I see here but the lathe story is a thorn in my side.
[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. NewPop1[/url][url]Balsa Saltwater projects. NewPop3[/url][url]Balsa Saltwater projects. NewPop4[/url]
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/14/2009, 2:07 am

A few more pics of the Popper. The last one is how it finished up. Also going into a mold.
[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. NewPop5[/url]
[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. Npop1[/url]
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  tauruck 9/14/2009, 2:15 am

This is my Merlin series. 4, 6 and 8". Loosely based on a Halco lure. 8" is in the mold already.
[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. Merlin[/url]
[url]Balsa Saltwater projects. Merlinmold[/url]
tauruck
tauruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next