Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you sharpen your turning tools

+3
smitty
Minivin5
Lbifisherman429
7 posters

Go down

How do you sharpen your turning tools Empty How do you sharpen your turning tools

Post  Lbifisherman429 8/8/2009, 11:20 pm

I have no idea how to sharpen my turning tools. some of the things that i will be making soon (acrylic pens) require sharp tools but how do i get them sharp?

Lbifisherman429
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 391

Back to top Go down

How do you sharpen your turning tools Empty Re: How do you sharpen your turning tools

Post  Minivin5 8/9/2009, 12:32 am

I can not answer your questions, but this will be answered by some of our resident builders. I am very interested in a reply myself, since it could be a money saver verses Wood Craft sharpening my tools.
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

How do you sharpen your turning tools Empty Re: How do you sharpen your turning tools

Post  smitty 8/9/2009, 12:37 am

well im not going to say mine is the best way in fact its most likely the worst way lol...
i use my disk sander with 220 grit on it and do it real lightly it does not take much to bring them back...

oh i also use my chisels for horseshoe stakes lol true story lol.... Very Happy
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 8/9/2009, 12:48 am

smitty wrote:well im not going to say mine is the best way in fact its most likely the worst way lol...
i use my disk sander with 220 grit on it and do it real lightly it does not take much to bring them back...

oh i also use my chisels for horseshoe stakes lol true story lol.... Very Happy

Um seriously?? The horse shoe thing!! lol!
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  eurojett05 8/9/2009, 1:05 am

this needs a short video, better than text.

eurojett05
eurojett05

Number of posts : 2453

Back to top Go down

How do you sharpen your turning tools Empty Skew Chisel - Sharpening

Post  eurojett05 8/9/2009, 1:07 am

eurojett05
eurojett05

Number of posts : 2453

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 8/9/2009, 1:11 am

good to know
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

How do you sharpen your turning tools Empty this is something........

Post  skippy 8/9/2009, 1:26 am

that should be done by hand, speed and friction cause heat then distemper, if you do not have a sharping stone, glue a piece of sandpaper onto a flat surface, you will learn to like this method, but a stone is the way to go,longer the better, one side for cutting, turn the stone over and arkansas for honing, remember it is easier to keep sharp, rather then resharpen, same as your fishing knives :..............

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Popper 8/9/2009, 10:45 am

Yes Vin he is serious about the horseshoe thing and he all so uses them as a door wedge there are some pictures floating around some where i think. i sharpen mine by using the belt sander i set the table to the angle i want then sharpen them very lightly keep a cup of water there to quench the chisel as you sharpen if it starts to get too hot .
Doc Popper
Doc Popper
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down