Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off

+8
Sephus3
Rick..stillcasting
stilltryn
tduralekjr
Val@Oceanside
Wentfishn47
mikeybonz
AKScuba
12 posters

Go down

5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off Empty 5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off

Post  AKScuba 5/17/2009, 2:42 pm

Went down to LBI yesterday around 4ish to meet up with Rob. We hit Val's for some clam and bunker and headed for the sand, with no luck at the numerous beaches we tried. Headed for the inlet... no luck there. Started ploddin back and got ahold of smitty, he came and met up with us and we fished a few of our personal LBI spots. Found some serious warm water temps in the back in shallow water, 60's or 70s at least. Smitty left so we tried clams again out front.... I was about ready to call it quits and Rob egged me into heading for the inlet one more time. We get there to find the bass going bonkers on bay anchovies. We switched over to light tackle and I hooked a little snapper blue that just INHALED my little crystal minnow. After that I ended up with one hell of a wind knot and had to switch rods. For some reason, I tied on a red headed swimmer and just casted it out goofin around..... WHAMO!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It was fish after fish nonstop for me, I lost count at 6 or 7. Schoolies tearing through baitfish and smashing the plugs and going airborne and putting up a great fight. After about 5 of them my rod doubled over and the drag was peelin. I fought the fish in, found it to be at least a 32" fish and went to lift it by the leader over the bulkhead.... SNAP. Knot came undone. Needless to say I was beside myself for a bit.

I could care less about not catching a keeper last night. We had a blast, and thats what mattered. Im pretty sure I have these schools of bass in the inlet dialed in for their night bite as well, and figured out what the best water conditions are and what lures to use at the right time.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off Empty Re: 5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off

Post  mikeybonz 5/17/2009, 4:04 pm

nice reports scuba !!! keep em coming!!!! cheers cheers cheers tight lines
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off Empty Re: 5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off

Post  AKScuba 5/17/2009, 4:09 pm

Forgot to mention the sizes of the fish I remember -

18", 22",19",25", 24", 32 estimated never measured, 17" bluefish
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  Wentfishn47 5/17/2009, 4:35 pm

Keep at it Big fish will come!! That whole area in that inlet is nuts when the peanuts and mullet are around in the fall :affraid:

Wentfishn47

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Val@Oceanside 5/17/2009, 5:44 pm

AKScuba wrote:Went down to LBI yesterday around 4ish to meet up with Rob. We hit Val's for some clam and bunker and headed for the sand, with no luck at the numerous beaches we tried. Headed for the inlet... no luck there. Started ploddin back and got ahold of smitty, he came and met up with us and we fished a few of our personal LBI spots. Found some serious warm water temps in the back in shallow water, 60's or 70s at least. Smitty left so we tried clams again out front.... I was about ready to call it quits and Rob egged me into heading for the inlet one more time. We get there to find the bass going bonkers on bay anchovies. We switched over to light tackle and I hooked a little snapper blue that just INHALED my little crystal minnow. After that I ended up with one hell of a wind knot and had to switch rods. For some reason, I tied on a red headed swimmer and just casted it out goofin around..... WHAMO!

It was fish after fish nonstop for me, I lost count at 6 or 7. Schoolies tearing through baitfish and smashing the plugs and going airborne and putting up a great fight. After about 5 of them my rod doubled over and the drag was peelin. I fought the fish in, found it to be at least a 32" fish and went to lift it by the leader over the bulkhead.... SNAP. Knot came undone. Needless to say I was beside myself for a bit.

Nice report! Even with Pics! 1st class boys! I was SOOOOO ready this morning for a surprizes! But no heads! See ya soon and why didnt you weigh in the 34incher????
Val

I could care less about not catching a keeper last night. We had a blast, and thats what mattered. Im pretty sure I have these schools of bass in the inlet dialed in for their night bite as well, and figured out what the best water conditions are and what lures to use at the right time.
Val@Oceanside
Val@Oceanside
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 311

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/17/2009, 6:46 pm

Val the 34 incher was Jim's unfortunately, not mine :( And the ONE KEEPER I coulda probably weighed in done ran off with my redheaded bomber :evil:
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off Empty Nice catch

Post  tduralekjr 5/17/2009, 8:11 pm

Fun time at the inlet last night wasn't it. Same results last night fishing the finger jetty for the first time this spring. It was fish after fish from 12:00-2:15 for me and my buddy Taylor. Two keepers out of the bunch but none were less than 25 inches. All on 1/4 ounce jig head with 4 inch white finesse or 5 inch pink gulp. Its about time. Finally came home with something. My wife has been wondering what I have been doing at night for the last month.

tduralekjr

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off Empty Nice catch

Post  tduralekjr 5/17/2009, 8:13 pm

Fun time at the inlet last night wasn't it. Same results last night fishing the finger jetty for the first time this spring. It was fish after fish from 12:00-2:15 for me and my buddy Taylor. Two keepers out of the bunch but none were less than 25 inches. All on 1/4 ounce jig head with 4 inch white finesse or 5 inch pink gulp. Its about time. Finally came home with something. My wife has been wondering what I have been doing at night for the last month.

tduralekjr

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltryn 5/17/2009, 8:49 pm

another great report cheers i hope tp get down next weekend!
stilltryn
stilltryn

Number of posts : 305

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick..stillcasting 5/17/2009, 10:01 pm

Good to hear you are catching and having fun.Send a positive thot up this way. Fishincrazy and I hit the beach 2day w/ clams and some plugging,we had a nice conversation. oh yeah we each caught a skate :suspect:

Rick..stillcasting

Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/18/2009, 1:47 am

tduralekjr wrote:Fun time at the inlet last night wasn't it. Same results last night fishing the finger jetty for the first time this spring. It was fish after fish from 12:00-2:15 for me and my buddy Taylor. Two keepers out of the bunch but none were less than 25 inches. All on 1/4 ounce jig head with 4 inch white finesse or 5 inch pink gulp. Its about time. Finally came home with something. My wife has been wondering what I have been doing at night for the last month.

Nooo **** that was you guys out there! Haha, cool man. Thanks for the tips the other night, I tried soft and they wouldnt take so we went to the lighter plugs. Ill probably see you there again sometime soon!
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/18/2009, 1:48 am

stilltryn wrote:another great report cheers i hope tp get down next weekend!

Jeff if you're free and you can fish at night, I got a spare rod you can plug with.. or run to walmart n grab a 6'6" medium action ugly stik and find a reel to match.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  tduralekjr 5/18/2009, 9:01 am

I knew it would only take a short amount of time before I would run into one of you guys. You could have came out on the rocks with us, there was plenty of room. Maybe run into next time.

tduralekjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sephus3 5/18/2009, 9:13 am

Nice job guys, thanks for the great report cheers
Sephus3
Sephus3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 5/18/2009, 10:19 am

nice report and pics bro
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/18/2009, 5:50 pm

tduralekjr wrote:I knew it would only take a short amount of time before I would run into one of you guys. You could have came out on the rocks with us, there was plenty of room. Maybe run into next time.

Thanks for the heads up dude, just following etiquette and didn't want to crowd you guys up. cheers See you out there again soon!
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 5/18/2009, 6:31 pm

GRET JOB SCUBA NICE PICS 5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off 962367 5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off 962367 5/16-5/17.... We fish HARD again and it pays off 962367
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  tduralekjr 5/18/2009, 8:28 pm

Only second year relly putting time into ocean fishing but do year round trout fishing and I'm used to people just clomping right by you in the stream. Nice to see other people have the same etiquette I was taught. Very refreshing. See ya out there.

tduralekjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Rlyman1 5/18/2009, 8:57 pm

tduralekjr wrote:I knew it would only take a short amount of time before I would run into one of you guys. You could have came out on the rocks with us, there was plenty of room. Maybe run into next time.
haha i can't believe that we ran into fellow SBO's and didnt even know it.. you guys must have thought we were idiots, that whole time you were there we couldnt hook into much more than a lousy two pound blue.. haha. anyway just so everyone knows in that picture of me i kissed that fish for a good 15 seconds before scuba took a picture. full mouth of slime... GREAT NIGHT heading back out this weekend... and once again still waiting on that keeper :suspect:
Rlyman1
Rlyman1

Number of posts : 161

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 5/18/2009, 10:01 pm

man just seeing that railing in the background of the one picture brings back memories. i have to fish that area sometime soon. too many amazing nights there to remember. nice job scuba.
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/18/2009, 10:16 pm

rebelmusicnp wrote:man just seeing that railing in the background of the one picture brings back memories. i have to fish that area sometime soon. too many amazing nights there to remember. nice job scuba.

I know its a teeny bit of a spot burn but Im not too concerned about it. Let me know when you want to fish it, the fish are hitting the same areas on numerous recorded nights there.

when the clarity of the water is gin clear, soft plastics are the ticket. Cloudy water, small swimming plugs worked slow and close to the surface. Havent tried poppers yet.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down