Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9 foot pluggin stick suggestions

+12
kermic
Doc Popper
toyota
126andy
joesfishinproblem
rebelmusicnp
Rlyman1
technologist
jettyjunkie
Driftwood
Oldsalts
AKScuba
16 posters

Go down

9 foot pluggin stick suggestions Empty 9 foot pluggin stick suggestions

Post  AKScuba 5/9/2009, 5:21 pm

after a bit of frustration this weekend with my 8 foot Penn Pro guide Ive decided a 9 footer may be better for me as a plugging stick. I use my tsunami 10 footer but it gets to be a bit of a burden after a bit... Im throwing wood up to 2.5 oz, 6 inch swim shads, and some bombers and maybe bigger BKD's/sluggos.

Im looking at these -

Tica dolphin 9 footer -
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tsunami 9 footer-

ive also considered the Ande Surf rods Ive seen at dicks. Im thinking my best bet is to stick to a budget of no more then 120 dollars, and match it with a penn 450 SSG unless I can somehow get ahold of a different reel. I fish all Penn reels.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

9 foot pluggin stick suggestions Empty Re: 9 foot pluggin stick suggestions

Post  Oldsalts 5/9/2009, 7:15 pm

AKScuba wrote:after a bit of frustration this weekend with my 8 foot Penn Pro guide Ive decided a 9 footer may be better for me as a plugging stick. I use my tsunami 10 footer but it gets to be a bit of a burden after a bit... Im throwing wood up to 2.5 oz, 6 inch swim shads, and some bombers and maybe bigger BKD's/sluggos.

Im looking at these -

Tica dolphin 9 footer -

Tsunami 9 footer-

ive also considered the Ande Surf rods Ive seen at dicks. Im thinking my best bet is to stick to a budget of no more then 120 dollars, and match it with a penn 450 SSG unless I can somehow get ahold of a different reel. I fish all Penn reels.

Hey Skuba

I have a 10 foot Tsunami airwave and love it light and i have a Diawa SS2600 reel on it works great

84 bucks
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/9/2009, 7:31 pm

The airwaves were another rod I need to take a look at. Thanks for the suggestion.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  Driftwood 5/9/2009, 7:59 pm

I would suggest taking a look at a Lami glas. They have some nice surf rods. I am currently building a 10 foot pluggin rod on a Lami Graphite blank. Look at the Surf King or if you want to spend a little bit more the Tri-Flex.
Driftwood
Driftwood

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 5/9/2009, 8:25 pm

MANY NIGHTS I PLUG WITH A 10 FOOTER AND ZX 25 NOT A "FEATHER LIGHT" SET UP TRY PUTTING THE ROD BETWEEN YOUR LEGS AS IF YOU WERE PENCIL POPPING YOU NEVER FEEL THE WEIGHT OF THE ROD YOU CAN THROW IT FOR HOURS
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 5/9/2009, 8:41 pm

check out the 9ft. airwave!!!!
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/10/2009, 12:46 am

Andy

I have to get the numbers from Lou (redhawk) But i ot a fiberglass nine foot custom that did not break the bank and is sick.
It is a Bronco/Lami Blank and lou will know more but this is a Pop Master !!!!!!

Mike
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Rlyman1 5/11/2009, 12:21 am

i love my tica man youve held it you know how she feels but i gotta say the lamis are very nice just too pricey for me
Rlyman1
Rlyman1

Number of posts : 161

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/11/2009, 12:43 am

Rlyman1 wrote:i love my tica man youve held it you know how she feels but i gotta say the lamis are very nice just too pricey for me

I checked out fingers' 9 foot Ande rod today. Its a little beefier then I remembered but just like my tsunami 10 footer. Lemme look at yours again soon.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 5/11/2009, 5:12 pm

save up for a little bit and buy something good. i know you fish a lot and somewhere down the road you are just going to want "better" in your equipment. i throw van staals and lamis and could have gotten them earlier in life if i didn't slowly dump money into equipment that eventually broke down or didn't do everything i wanted it to. how is that photo project coming along?
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 5/11/2009, 5:51 pm

ak you dont need to buy a 150 or 250 vs just get friends with them and beg plead and cry if you have to. to use theres that wat i do with rebel lol lol! cheers
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  126andy 5/11/2009, 5:59 pm

I use a 9' "s" glass rod that is the best. I wrapped this stick up probably 20 years ago and it's just like the day I finished it. It's so light you can throw it all day long.
126andy
126andy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 711

http://afteryoufishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  toyota 5/11/2009, 6:07 pm

i own both gsb1081L and the MB1083m fiberglass stick..both are awesome yet serve 2 completely different purposes..the glass is sick for bombers, rdfinds, and cotten cordell pencils..the 108 is great for bucktails, jigs, shads..

toyota

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/14/2009, 11:03 am

Andy and will hit it right on the head ....I love my glass

Big J
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Popper 5/15/2009, 10:23 pm

Check out the Star stella light rods they are a awesome rod for the money.
Doc Popper
Doc Popper
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

9 foot pluggin stick suggestions Empty spelling?

Post  kermic 5/16/2009, 9:23 am

rebelmusicnp wrote:save up for a little bit and buy something good. i know you fish a lot and somewhere down the road you are just going to want "better" in your equipment. i throw van staals and lamis and could have gotten them earlier in life if i didn't slowly dump money into equipment that eventually broke down or didn't do everything i wanted it to. how is that photo project coming along?

If you fish a lot- especially plugging and can afford it invest in good equipment. I suggest a gsb1081 M custom wrapped- paired with a vs150- 30# sufix braid and you have a killer arsenal, able to handle anything in the surf or jetties in jersey. You can plug off the surf, jetty, backbays or sod banks-extremely versatile set up. Just go in the backyard pick about a $1,000 off a tree and you're good to go! :)

kermic

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/16/2009, 10:08 am

rebelmusicnp wrote:save up for a little bit and buy something good. i know you fish a lot and somewhere down the road you are just going to want "better" in your equipment. i throw van staals and lamis and could have gotten them earlier in life if i didn't slowly dump money into equipment that eventually broke down or didn't do everything i wanted it to. how is that photo project coming along?

Oh jeez man Ive been so busy with everything but the book, I dont even know if Ill have time to do it :(

Ill take the high end stuff into consideration, right now I just dont have the money for it at all.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 5/17/2009, 2:31 am

AKScuba wrote:

Oh jeez man Ive been so busy with everything but the book, I dont even know if Ill have time to do it :(

Ill take the high end stuff into consideration, right now I just dont have the money for it at all.

Andrew save your $$ I bought a good rod but my reel won't do it.I gotta a real serviceable set up but handinlin a mint one takes that much away from the worry while fishin.The right stuff assures failure will be minimum.Now I love my Stradic,but I gotta keep it dry.Good for me (OLD FAT HAS BEEN) Not for you.With the VS you can swim!!!!!!!!!!!

FC

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/17/2009, 1:16 pm

kermic wrote:

If you fish a lot- especially plugging and can afford it invest in good equipment. I suggest a gsb1081 M custom wrapped- paired with a vs150- 30# sufix braid and you have a killer arsenal, able to handle anything in the surf or jetties in jersey. You can plug off the surf, jetty, backbays or sod banks-extremely versatile set up. Just go in the backyard pick about a $1,000 off a tree and you're good to go! :)

For a 9 go with a Glass rod .. I have graphite also but love my 9 ft Glass Lami ..I am a fan of the GSB but prefer the Glass
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Val@Oceanside 5/17/2009, 6:02 pm

AKScuba wrote:
Rlyman1 wrote:i love my tica man youve held it you know how she feels but i gotta say the lamis are very nice just too pricey for me

I checked out fingers' 9 foot Ande rod today. Its a little beefier then I remembered but just like my tsunami 10 footer. Lemme look at yours again soon.

Come in here and get that tica dolphin you guys were lookin at... I told ya I will give you a great deal. It's my pluggin rod and I love it!!!!! 8)
Val@Oceanside
Val@Oceanside
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 311

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/17/2009, 6:44 pm

Oof, dont do that to me Val... 9 foot pluggin stick suggestions 622665 Ill be in this summer to get it with birthday money, probably pair it with another Penn SSG. do you stock them?
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  moparornocar 5/17/2009, 7:33 pm

ak snizz and me both have the 9 ft airwave, and both really liek it. are you going to be fishing wednesday? i am off and definetly looking to get out probably with atleast steve maybe steve and snizz. If your fishing let me know where and well meet up so you can try it out if you want

moparornocar

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Val@Oceanside 5/18/2009, 2:21 pm

AKScuba wrote:Oof, dont do that to me Val... 9 foot pluggin stick suggestions 622665 Ill be in this summer to get it with birthday money, probably pair it with another Penn SSG. do you stock them?

of course. and if you find another set-up that you like, let me know I'll price it out for you! Very Happy
Val@Oceanside
Val@Oceanside
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 311

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/18/2009, 5:49 pm

moparornocar wrote:ak snizz and me both have the 9 ft airwave, and both really liek it. are you going to be fishing wednesday? i am off and definetly looking to get out probably with atleast steve maybe steve and snizz. If your fishing let me know where and well meet up so you can try it out if you want

Might be able to fish WEdnesday night man, Ill let you know.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  redhawk19 5/19/2009, 8:24 am

If you work it right you can get yourself a new custom 9' GSB 1081M ($265 - $300) and a nice used
VS 150 ($450 - $500). If you already have a decent reel just go with the custom rod. You should get the biggest bank for your buck. You can always get the reel later.

redhawk19

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down