Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bridge Hopping last night

3 posters

Go down

Bridge Hopping last night Empty Bridge Hopping last night

Post  CaptFrank 8/21/2012, 2:42 pm

Didn't feel like sitting in front of the boob tube last night, and couldn't find anyone to join in, so I hit the bridges solo. Needed to get out and blow the stink off. First stop I found one small Striper, few other bumps, and tons of bait (Peanuts, Spearing). While there, something huge splashed in the ICW twice, and then about 200 yards from the first place. I'm guessing Dolphin. It sent out a sizable wake and made one helluva racket. Neat to see in the dark.
Next stop had a few Bass and tons of bait again. Managed to pull a 20" Striper out of there. Few Blue bites, but no hook ups. Next stop was quiet, but again, tons of Peanuts. Small Blues harassing them. Next bridge seemed quiet. The shallow section was Bass-less, but as usual, gobs of bait. Further up I found a lot of Stripers, but all hanging in the shadow on the down current side. First five casts resulted in severe tail tugs, then finally on the 6th, I hooked up with a 22" fatty. Of course that spooked everyone else out. So, I went over to the up current side and cast out. Nailed a nice 16" Flounder. Then the Blues moved in and made mince-meat out of my Berkley Jerk Shad and Slug-go teaser. Re-rigged and walk-trolled back down the bridge. This resulted in two more slams, but I missed them.
Chased up North to check another spot, it was a dead zone other than bait. Looked like Mullet and Spot. Tried another two spots, but they too were dead. Was going to call it quits, but I figured I'd hit two old favorites quickly. Glad I did. The first stop seemed like it was gonna be a bust. Tons of Peanuts, and no signs of Bass, or much else, other than a Doggie cruising about. Then, just as I was about to leave, I saw a torpedo streaking through the shadow. Not like they usually do along the edge, but deeper in it. You really had to look. Three casts later I nailed a fat 24" Bass. Had a few more shots at some other Stripers cruising the dark region, but missed. Made one final stop, but the Bass didn't wanna play. They were keyed in on their smorgasbord of bait and wanted no parts of what I was offering.
Had a blast, and glad I went. Can't catch 'em sitting in front of the boob-tube...

Tight Lines!
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Number of posts : 230

http://www.brynnie-binshorefishing.com

Back to top Go down

Bridge Hopping last night Empty Re: Bridge Hopping last night

Post  JeffL 8/21/2012, 9:09 pm

Nice i need to get out there sometime soon popcorn
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptFrank 8/23/2012, 12:56 pm

You should JEff, it's always a blast.

I hit it again last night. Tide was a lot lower, but the Bass were still there hanging on the down current side. I only managed one hook up, but had a lot of followers. Bunker were really thick and there were a ton of Needlefish around. The Bass stayed in the shadow line and the Bunker hung just outside of it. Blues were tearing the Bunker up, but the Bass didn't seem to care about them. Think they were hitting the Spearing. No Bass on the up current side either. Weird, but fun!
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 8/23/2012, 7:43 pm

Frank I use to love fishing the dark side down south Jersey years ago. I keep saying I'm going to give it a try again.
No crowds, and so quiet to the point were you can hear the fish feeding off the surface, and always a few fish to show for it.
Great report and keep fishing the dark side Bridge Hopping last night 962367
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptFrank 8/23/2012, 9:24 pm

Charlie, you nailed it! Quiet, calm, relaxing, and always fun. If you ever want to give it a shot, give me a shout. Always looking for someone to tag along.
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down