Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season

+2
Smoke
Bayside Arty
6 posters

Go down

Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season Empty Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season

Post  Bayside Arty 3/25/2009, 8:05 pm

Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season

DEC, Fishing Community Maximize Peak Periods While Complying with Mandate

Forced to comply with strict federal restrictions, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Pete Grannis today announced new limits for summer flounder (fluke) for the upcoming recreational fishing season.
For 2009, the minimum size limit will be 21 inches, compared to 20.5 last year. The bag limit will be two fish, down from four. Additionally, there will be a split season:
Open May 15 - June 15.
Closed June 16 - July 2.
Open July 3 - August 17.
Closed thereafter.
New York has been mandated by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission and the Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Management Council to reduce fluke harvest from last year. To comply with the mandate, DEC convened a series of meetings with the Marine Resources Advisory Council - made up of representatives of the recreational fishing community - to develop options that would protect the historically busiest fluke fishing periods on both the north and south shores of Long Island. Commissioner Grannis said the selected option would maintain a viable fluke fishery for all anglers while ensuring that New York meets the federal requirements.
Federal Lawsuit Over Fluke Management

Commissioner Grannis pointed out that in 2008 New York filed a federal lawsuit challenging the methods and data used to manage coastal fluke populations. The lawsuit claims that the National Marine Fisheries Service violated federal law by using outdated and scientifically unreliable data to establish fluke harvest limits along the Atlantic Coast, resulting in inequitable treatment of New York anglers. For example, in 2008 an angler on the New York side of Raritan Bay could land four fluke per day with each fish measuring at least 20.5 inches long while someone on the New Jersey side of the bay could land eight fluke at only 18 inches long.
New York is prepared to quickly make adjustments to the fluke season and bag limits in the event that the court renders a favorable decision this season, the commissioner said.
"These are difficult times for our saltwater anglers and the fishing industry overall," Commissioner Grannis said. "The limits that we have set - with the input of the fishing community - are not ideal but are the best compromise for all of New York's anglers under the severe federal restrictions. While making the adjustments for 2009, we will continue to use all available means to ensure that New York's anglers are not placed at a disadvantage by unfair federal requirements."
Bayside Arty
Bayside Arty

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season Empty Re: Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season

Post  Smoke 3/25/2009, 8:41 pm

WTF....2 fish per day..feel sorry for the tackle shops and charter boats. :evil: :evil:
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season Empty Re: Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season

Post  REDBASS 3/25/2009, 10:24 pm

THE TACKLE SHOPS AND THE HEAD BOATS ARE GOING TOO TAKE A BEATING WITH THIS. THIS IS BAD NEWS. BUT NJ GETS 18 INCHES AND 6 FISH. LOL. GOT TOO LOVE IT NY GETS THE SHAFT EVERY YEAR. LOL LOL Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season 177925
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 3/26/2009, 11:17 am

RedBass, you're welcome to fish NJ anytime you want. Chip in for gas and bait and you can even join me.

2 fish at 21 inches is basically going to put the partyboat fleet out of business or maybe someone will convince people that dogfish and skates are actually better to catch than fluke.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/26/2009, 9:20 pm

HAHA 2 FISH PLUS ANOTHER HALF INCH WTF MAN , MY BROTHER LIVES IN VIRINGA WHEN I WENT DOWN I THINK 16" WAS THERE SIZE WHAT A SHAME!!! DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND THE SPLIT SEASON WHAT ARE THE PARTY BOATS GOING TO HAVE TO SWITCH TO BOTTOM FISHING FOR PORGIES FOR A MONTH?> I GUESS JUST USE BIGGER BAITS!!! SNAPPERS!! MIKEY
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/26/2009, 9:50 pm

What if a party or recreational boater wre to fish in Jersey waters and then return to NY dock;

1-Whould that bullshit federal quota system be counted against NY or Jersey quota?

2-If the same boat was boarded by DEC in NY waters, would he be fined?
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 3/26/2009, 11:51 pm

Fishtale wrote:What if a party or recreational boater wre to fish in Jersey waters and then return to NY dock;

1-Whould that bullshit federal quota system be counted against NY or Jersey quota?

A PART BOAT OR RECEATIONAL BOATER FROM NY. MUST GO BY NY LAWS. IF U FISH IN NJ WATER YOU STILL HAVE TOO TAKE NY LEGAL SIZE FISH.

NY AND NJ AE THE ARE THE CUT OFF FOR THE COAST. NY BEING THE NORTH AND NJ BEING THE SOUTH.SO FROM NY TO ME IS ONE SET OF RULES. THEN THE NJ TOO FL. IS THE ANOTHER SET. BUT EACH STATE MAKES THERE OWN RULES UP AS THEY GO.

NY BOAT IN NJ WATER WITH NJ SIZE FISH . IS BOARDED BY DEC. THEY WOULD BE FINED FOR UNDER SIZED FISH. IF A NJ BOAT IS FISHING NY WATER . TAKES 18 INCH FISH ITS OK.REASON BEING IS THEY ARE ALLOUD 18 INCH FISH.SO WHEN THEY GET BACK TOO THERE PORT. THEY HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE AND LIMIT. IT OK. I THINK ITS A LOT OF BS. THEY PLAY THIS GAME EVERY YEAR WITH THE FLUKE HERE IN NY. THEY SAY IT THE RECEATIONAL FISHER MAN THAT SEND THE LIMIT OFF THE CHART. WHICH IS BS.AGAIN. YOU HAVE TOO MANY TRAWLERS RAPING THE SEA. WHICH KILLS ALOT OF FISH. I THINK THERE SIZE ON FLUKE IS A 14 INCH MIN. ANY THING UNDER THAT THEY TOSS BACK IN DEAD. SO THAT HURTS US IN THE LONG RUN.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/27/2009, 7:45 pm

REDBASS wrote:
Fishtale wrote:What if a party or recreational boater wre to fish in Jersey waters and then return to NY dock;

A PART BOAT OR RECEATIONAL BOATER FROM NY. MUST GO BY NY LAWS. IF U FISH IN NJ WATER YOU STILL HAVE TOO TAKE NY LEGAL SIZE FISH.

NY AND NJ AE THE ARE THE CUT OFF FOR THE COAST. NY BEING THE NORTH AND NJ BEING THE SOUTH.SO FROM NY TO ME IS ONE SET OF RULES. THEN THE NJ TOO FL. IS THE ANOTHER SET. BUT EACH STATE MAKES THERE OWN RULES UP AS THEY GO.

NY BOAT IN NJ WATER WITH NJ SIZE FISH . IS BOARDED BY DEC. THEY WOULD BE FINED FOR UNDER SIZED FISH. IF A NJ BOAT IS FISHING NY WATER . TAKES 18 INCH FISH ITS OK.REASON BEING IS THEY ARE ALLOUD 18 INCH FISH.SO WHEN THEY GET BACK TOO THERE PORT. THEY HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE AND LIMIT. IT OK. I THINK ITS A LOT OF BS. THEY PLAY THIS GAME EVERY YEAR WITH THE FLUKE HERE IN NY. THEY SAY IT THE RECEATIONAL FISHER MAN THAT SEND THE LIMIT OFF THE CHART. WHICH IS BS.AGAIN. YOU HAVE TOO MANY TRAWLERS RAPING THE SEA. WHICH KILLS ALOT OF FISH. I THINK THERE SIZE ON FLUKE IS A 14 INCH MIN. ANY THING UNDER THAT THEY TOSS BACK IN DEAD. SO THAT HURTS US IN THE LONG RUN.
So what your saying is; A Jersey captain can bring his boat into NY waters, knowing full well that the bigger fish are here, because we NY'ers can't take them??? What a load of shit that is!! Who the hell makes these laws? I'd love to puch him/her in the face just for being stupid!!! Our tax dollars go for this?? Something is wrong, something is definately wrong!!
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/28/2009, 11:52 am

YEA FISH TALE SAW IT HAPPEND LAST YEAR 2 BOATS FROM THE HIGHLAND ABOUT 20 30 YARDS OFF CROOKES POINT IN GREAT KILLS SI FLUKE FISHING WTF MAN 18 NCH I THROW BACK THEY GRAB AND KEEP 5 MILES OR WATEVER SHOULDNT HAVE DIFFERENT RULES SAME SHOULD APPLY TO ALL OF NY AND NJ FISHING GROUNDS !!!!

AS LONG AS THERE REG. IS FROM NY THEY HAVE TO BRING IN A 21.5 FISH
NJ REG ON A BOAT 18 INCH

SOME1 TOLD ME THIS LAST YEAR I HAD THE SAME ?'=\

BULLSHIT!!!! I CANT WAIT TO BE STOPED IN THE SPLIT SEASON IF SOME1 TELL ME I CANT FISH FOR A FLUKE OUT OF SEASON IM GOING TO LAUGH IN THERE FACE !!!!! I MEAN IM NOT KEEPIN ANY FISH I JUST WANNA HAVE ACTION AND NOT RESORT TO CRABBING!!! ,MIKEY
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/28/2009, 9:50 pm

What a crock of shit that is!!!Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season Mad0050 I can't understand that ineptitude of our politicians! So because my boat is registered in NY, I can take it to Mass, Conn, RI, Del and violate their local quotas?? What a load of shit!! I really hope NY wins the lawsuit they brought forth last month. My tax dollars are being spent on some jerkoff in Albany who says, 21.5" because some jerkoff from some bullshit federal agency with some ancient bullshit study laws say that?? Then the Out of Stater takes what legally mine?? That's 100% BULLSHIT!!! Does anyone know to whom and where I send my letter/phone call voicing my concern?? I've had enough of the Federal governemnet interfering with my personal rights!
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 3/28/2009, 9:59 pm

Fishtale wrote:
REDBASS wrote:

So what your saying is; A Jersey captain can bring his boat into NY waters, knowing full well that the bigger fish are here, because we NY'ers can't take them??? What a load of shit that is!! Who the hell makes these laws? I'd love to puch him/her in the face just for being stupid!!! Our tax dollars go for this?? Something is wrong, something is definately wrong!!

YOUR RIGHT ITS A LOAD OF SHIT. THEY SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON THIS AND WE ARE THE ONES THAT LOSE OUT.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/29/2009, 1:17 am

ive seen on other site them askin for donation 's donations for what!! are they going to spend money to harvest raise these things!! i just dont simply understand how they can judge when nj is so close away. fishtale this lawsuit is news to me what does it mean??
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/29/2009, 10:49 am

mikeybonz wrote:ive seen on other site them askin for donation 's donations for what!! are they going to spend money to harvest raise these things!! i just dont simply understand how they can judge when nj is so close away. fishtale this lawsuit is news to me what does it mean??
The lawsuit is challenging the feds study practices in placing the quotas on individual states. It also is suing for an equal coast wide limit, not based on location. So, it wold be fair to have Jersey/NY/Conn all having the same number of fish and sizes. The restrictions that were placed on us this are going to put a lot of captains on welfare! The summer recreational fluking industry is big business and now it's being squashed to almost nothing.
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down