Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spook Hell..........Help

3 posters

Go down

Spook Hell..........Help Empty Spook Hell..........Help

Post  Muskyslayer96 3/16/2012, 9:11 am

I made some smaller spooks (these small builds are a mystery to me, more difficult than Musky sized stuff). Made from basswood (as a test) I have some cut from cherry as well. 5.5 inches and a little over 3/4 inches at it's widest point. I have size 2 trebles on it.

it didn't swim/glide very well at first. i removed the belly hook and it was much better, but when i added weight at different points b/w belly hook and tail I could not replicate the action.

So I hope this isn't a dumb question, After much cursing on the long drive home I realized I was using my new set up with 20lb braid and a 25lb fluorcarbon leader....Fluoro sinks (heavier than H2O correct?) so that could have been the problem........I should be using mono as a leader correct........STUPID MS!!!!
My guess cherry or maple would be a better choice anyway?

The good news is If I'm using that rod, i can always remove the belly hook, she glided awesome like that...anyone make their spooks this small with just tail hook? Spooks are very frustrating to me and I'm determined to master them...I have poured over the wonderful post on this site by other spook builders.

Spook Hell..........Help Download2-4

Thanks in advance for the help!!

MS
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Spook Hell..........Help Empty Re: Spook Hell..........Help

Post  handyman 3/16/2012, 6:36 pm

yea spooks can be a real pain.......but remember cherry might be a little to dence and may want to sink.......never made any small ones......i know we spoke before on this issue.......i had the same problem but corrected it by first letting the plug sit in a bucket of water to balance it out.....tail slightly down.........and the retrieve is important as well...........YOU TUBE has the retrieve video...for fishing it off the surf............i use cedar for the surface plugs...........i feel your frustration....good luck

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  rider3 3/16/2012, 10:11 pm

just try with a mono leader and see what happens.......................i always yse mono for a leader.....
rider3
rider3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down