Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 Season Recap

+6
JayDizzle
smitty
JeffL
stevel
handyman
ChrisL
10 posters

Go down

2011 Season Recap Empty 2011 Season Recap

Post  ChrisL 12/17/2011, 3:12 pm

What a year it was!
The spring was a little slow for me, but the fall more than made up for it. All in all it was a great year. I fished a lot of new places, tried new things, learned a lot and fished with some great folks.

Started the year off early fishing some back waters and by the first week of April got into some bass in the Delaware River. It was the first time I ever went west of home for bass. Had some good luck in the Barneget Bay during the spring mostly with blues, but a few bass in the mix.

The spring run really took off in early June with insane fishing along the Seaside -> Lavallette beaches. Several days in a row of BIG bass tearing through huge pods of bunker. Got to witness some amazing sights that week. On one of these evening Becky got her personal best….a 25lb bass on snagged bunker.

We took the summer off for the most part. Just a few trips to the canal and inlets. Those trips produced steady cocktail blues. One night on the canal produced nonstop 5lb bluefish for 5 hours without another human in sight. At the end of the season we had a couple beach trips for fluke and landed a few shorts.

The fall really got off to a late start and for a while I thought we were gonna miss out on a fall season all together. It wasn’t till mid November that we got steady bass action, but once it started…WOW. I had several days with double digit catches. Most fish were keeper size with numerous fish released in the 15-20lb range. Nov 30 was by far my best day of bass fishing to date. I lost count after 20 fish and had to quit when I was too tired to fight another fish.

I called it quits the second week of December….but the fish are still here.

Although I fished bait a few times, all my fish this year were on artificials. Total count of bass for the year was 75 and all but 4 were safely released.

A few other highlights…..
-Upgraded some gear….VS200, St. Croix Mojo, Aquaskinz drytop, korkers and lotso plugs
-Branched out and fished the Monmouth Co area more, Delaware River and got into rock hopping jetties
-Joined the Stripercoast Surfcasters Club and participated in some club sponsored events
-Finally caught bass in the PP Canal and the bay
-Probably my greatest achievement of the year….I learned to enjoy myself even if I don’t catch. I learned to appreciate just being out on the water and all the sights and sounds of nature. I had some tough times this past year and found great solace in spending time out in nature alone.

I’m looking forward to a great 2012 season and hope to share some good times with friends in the process.

2011 Season Recap 870783

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 316

Back to top Go down

2011 Season Recap Empty Re: 2011 Season Recap

Post  handyman 12/17/2011, 4:24 pm

couldnt put it any better than that crisl.........nice!!!!! yea my spring was off to a rocky start......but did manage to get out of the slump.....this is my first year flyswatting for bass and did manage to land 3 not big bass but thats ok....its was my first time got 1 at the hook and got two in the ponds of cape cod....saw alot of big bass in the flats aswell.........it was an increadable fall and i got to fish with a few SBO'ers bunch of great guys /gals....

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 12/17/2011, 7:14 pm

Sounds like a great year ...this fall was insane....my year was good all around had well over 200 bass for the season....all but 5 where released to see another day...my season was over a couple weeks ago while you boys have been still catching them up...lots of great times with great people once again ...next year will be just as good if not better with some new weapons for sure !!
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 12/17/2011, 10:16 pm

Very well said chris.. I am also doing alot of upgraded over this winter break lol.. Def my best year of fishing.. Did amazing off the surf in the summer with fluke this year and then this fall run of bass will be one that will be talked about for years to come.. Got to meet alot of new people and really great guys out there this year also.. Can't wait to do it all over next year... Also hope to meet some people i haven't had the chance to yet..
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 12/17/2011, 10:21 pm

This season recap for me was nothing short of the best fishing year ever for me.

It started as it has for the last few years sharing a small stretch of the Delaware river with some great friends Ed Charlie Andrea and Travis I should have known then just how great of a year this was going to be.
We all hooked in to some very nice fish during that trip as we always do but this year it just seemed to be better then in the past.

The summer for me was very frustrating no able to find any bass and it was not for lack of trying and hunting for them with my buddy DeCarlo
i even went as far as to buy a boat to see if i could pick some bass up with that lol no luck...

Summer has come and gone and the fall run was about to go in to full swing so a great bunch of friends from the site "Charlie.G, Oldsalts, Jaydizzle, Bluesfish" we all took a trip and the 1st for most of us to Montauk we all had hopes of experiencing the epic fishing we all have herd stories about.
Well as it started off slow for us and for a little while i was thinking we just might get skunked it just turned in to at that time the best fishing i have ever been apart of....All the fish caught for me that day had been on a lure built by Charlie.G a awesome wonderbread pencil that now sits on the shelf with pride with other well producing lures Thanks Charlie.

Round 2 of the fall run was nothing short of EPIC it all started for me when my fishing buddy woke up late"Jaydizzel" lol i went fishing my self that day on LBI i hit a hole we stumbled across a week earlier and as the sun came up i had bass busting all over in front of me i almost started to panic thinking no one will believe this i look to my left and see not one person i look to my right and the same not one person fishing i had the beach all to my self wow that was great and i think i got 4 bass that day.
The next weekend a few of us Jaydizzle included fished lbi again and it was the most insane fishing i had ever seen i had around 18 fish that day alone every one of us walked off the beach with the fish still biting but we all could take no more lol all the bass in the 30" plus size most that i caught i had taken on my own needle lure i had made the week before what a great time spent with great friends form this site.....

In closing could i have hoped for a better season??? NOPE i really don't think i could or would i have wanted to change one second of it why would i ???? I fished with some of the best guys on earth and fished some of the best places on earth with the best results.....

Every year from this year on will be judged against 2011
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisL 12/17/2011, 10:24 pm

2011 Season Recap 92223

Met and fished with a lot of great people this year. Several from this site....Jeff, Smitty, Ed, Charlie. And looking forward to meeting others this coming year. We'll all have to get together for cheap hotdogs at Surfday.

I missed out on the Montauk trip due to illness, but plan on getting up there in 2012 for sure.

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisL 12/20/2011, 12:53 am

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  JayDizzle 12/20/2011, 4:43 pm

2011 Season Recap 962367 2011 Season Recap 962367
JayDizzle
JayDizzle

Number of posts : 366

https://www.facebook.com/decarlojason

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 12/20/2011, 4:52 pm

DUDE!!!! CHRISL..................totaly awesome WOW.....nice

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 12/20/2011, 9:30 pm

Chris great video 2011 Season Recap 560155
And great meeting you this year. I judge my year on the great times I spend with great friends in the surf and THANKS to all that shared the beaches with me this year.
Catch and release in 2012 :happy 2012:
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 12/20/2011, 11:11 pm

Nice video chris.. Maybe next year i can be in it =P
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisL 12/20/2011, 11:17 pm

Thanks 2011 Season Recap 962367

JeffL wrote:Nice video chris.. Maybe next year i can be in it =P
You gotta catch fish to make it into the video lol!

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 12/20/2011, 11:27 pm

Ouch that hurt lol!
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 12/20/2011, 11:56 pm

Hey I caught a fish 2011 Season Recap 56958
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 12/21/2011, 12:54 am

great video! looks like a good year had by all! be flea market time before you know it....

anyone headed out Christmas eve morning?
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  Tacklebox Joe 12/21/2011, 6:41 pm

way to go chris...can't wait to fish with you next season!
Tacklebox Joe
Tacklebox Joe

Number of posts : 25

http://www.stripercoastsurfcasters.us

Back to top Go down

Post  JayDizzle 12/22/2011, 12:03 pm

Are you actually gonna make it Joe? 2011 Season Recap 870783
JayDizzle
JayDizzle

Number of posts : 366

https://www.facebook.com/decarlojason

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisL 12/22/2011, 2:03 pm

JayDizzle wrote:Are you actually gonna make it Joe? 2011 Season Recap 870783
\
lol!

Looking forward to hitting our early season spot Joe 2011 Season Recap 870783

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 1/23/2012, 10:15 pm

2011 will be talked about by the young guys when old farts like me are long gone...A great year......
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down