Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the best guide for surf rods/spin?

+4
asbury guy
redhawk19
fishincrazy
Fleet Commander
8 posters

Go down

What is the best guide for surf rods/spin? Empty What is the best guide for surf rods/spin?

Post  Fleet Commander 3/24/2009, 9:59 am

Lets assume you you are building an 8,9,or 10 plug rod.
Which is the best guide choice? WHY?
Millimeter guide sequence?
tip style/ size?

Fleet Commander

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

What is the best guide for surf rods/spin? Empty Re: What is the best guide for surf rods/spin?

Post  fishincrazy 3/24/2009, 12:23 pm

Fleet Commander wrote:Lets assume you you are building an 8,9,or 10 plug rod.
tip style/ size?

Damn I was gonna ask you :affraid:

FC lol!

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

What is the best guide for surf rods/spin? Empty Re: What is the best guide for surf rods/spin?

Post  redhawk19 3/24/2009, 6:15 pm

That question usually starts a riot, cone of flight vs concept..LOL
Are we talking convential of spinning? If spinning I might start with a 40 MM down to 16 or 20 with a 16 or 20 tip. I'm a fan of using the larger tip so te swivel and snap don't get hung up. I have been pretty successful with this type of set up.. Nothing worse then being out there in the dark and having the swivel crack or pop ot the tip ring. I usually use BSVLG hardaloy guides but am starting to really like the new alconite guides Fuji just came out with....

redhawk19

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Fleet Commander 3/24/2009, 8:56 pm

redhawk19 wrote:That question usually starts a riot, cone of flight vs concept..LOL
Are we talking convential of spinning? If spinning I might start with a 40 MM down to 16 or 20 with a 16 or 20 tip. I'm a fan of using the larger tip so te swivel and snap don't get hung up. I have been pretty successful with this type of set up.. Nothing worse then being out there in the dark and having the swivel crack or pop ot the tip ring. I usually use BSVLG hardaloy guides but am starting to really like the new alconite guides Fuji just came out with....
[b]Very good points. I like the BSVLG, its a very rugged guide. Youre right, the 16's and 20's pass nearly anything, but you still have to be careful with hardware.

Fleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Fleet Commander 3/24/2009, 8:58 pm

fishincrazy wrote:
Fleet Commander wrote:Lets assume you you are building an 8,9,or 10 plug rod.
tip style/ size?

Damn I was gonna ask you :affraid:

FC lol!
If you rub some of sweet lucy's barbeque sause nn the guide rings, you will cast further.

Fleet Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  asbury guy 4/2/2009, 8:58 pm

SOLID TITANIUM guides.
asbury guy
asbury guy

Number of posts : 373

http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 4/4/2009, 6:16 pm

solid titanium no ceramic to crack they are a wire frame a lil pricey i paid 60 bucks fora set
of 6 eyes and a tip they dont rust and are great for braided lines
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 4/6/2009, 7:13 pm

titanium guides for sure i usually start with a 60 on my 10 and 11 footers
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  jerseysurf15 5/18/2009, 8:00 pm

im looking for a little bit of help on a nice set up im about 5'6 i want 2 nice rod and reels for the surf to throw bait and one for throwing lures looking on spending 250/300 for nice set ups if anyone can help me out i would appreate it thanks alot

catchem up What is the best guide for surf rods/spin? 962367

jerseysurf15

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 5/18/2009, 9:32 pm

kevin bogan in point pleasant he does awesome work
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Driftwood 5/19/2009, 8:35 pm

If you are not sure and want to compare (hands on) I would go see Greg Bogan at Brielle Bait and Tackle. Very knowledgable and he has a good "in stock" selection of everything for rod building.
Driftwood
Driftwood

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down