Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wood turning types

3 posters

Go down

wood turning types Empty wood turning types

Post  MarkC 3/12/2011, 8:09 pm

Hi im very new to turning plugs infact very new to lathes all together, ive being turning some peices of pine just for practise and ive also got hold of a large quantity of oak sapele, any way i was cutting some over grown bushes in my garden and eyed some Hawthorn and a wild rose which the stem are quite thick about 3" round and suprizingly straight,
So i cut a few of these to try ,

Now does/has anybody use green wood as in fresh wood to turn with or should i let this stuff dry fully ?

I did turn one of each loverly stuff to turn as in the smell was very pleasent i love the smell of wood , any info on this green wood would be very helpful ill sort some pictures out soon

sharkie
MarkC
MarkC

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

wood turning types Empty wood

Post  stripercrazy 3/12/2011, 11:43 pm

we don't turn green wood...it must be dried before turning...cut down good 2x4s for topwater plugs there fine...look for red ceder its the cheapest works good for spooks poppers pencils white ceder's great too...yellow ceder ayc excellent too....but 2x4's are the cheapest way to learn at first, then go to the ceder

stripercrazy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

wood turning types Empty Re: wood turning types

Post  handyman 3/12/2011, 11:44 pm

well sharkie.......its only my opinion that the geen wood will crack ......its seems like to much trouble plus most of the stuff is cheap enough and kiln dryed.......to just go out and buy it.....plus youll go threw all that work to lathe out a nice plug only to fine out it cracks plus it wont take in the sealer.......red cedar ballasters 2x2 x 48" and 1.5x1.5x12' pine are kinda cheap in price and i get pine square stock 1x1 1.5x1.5 2.0x2.0 in any lenth i want from lumber yards i personaly would stay away from the green stuff....................good luck

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

wood turning types Empty oak

Post  stripercrazy 3/12/2011, 11:47 pm

oak will dull your tools....its not a good wood to use building, unless you sharpen your tools yourself it aint worth turning it

stripercrazy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

wood turning types Empty Re: wood turning types

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down