Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any fly anglers ?

+2
fishincrazy
needlefish
6 posters

Go down

any fly anglers ? Empty any fly anglers ?

Post  needlefish 2/20/2009, 7:25 pm

hey everyone my father in law is gettin me into fly fishing for trout and i was wondering if anyone else on here is into it? i am just gettin my waders wet so to speak. so far i have fished the pequest, muskenetcong, n branch raritan. does anyone fish the toms? i would like to learn more about some spots/ flys/ etc.
needlefish
needlefish

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

any fly anglers ? Empty Re: any fly anglers ?

Post  fishincrazy 2/22/2009, 12:58 am

needlefish wrote:hey everyone my father in law is gettin me into fly fishing for trout and i was wondering if anyone else on here is into it? i am just gettin my waders wet so to speak. so far i have fished the pequest, muskenetcong, n branch raritan. does anyone fish the toms? i would like to learn more about some spots/ flys/ etc.

Needs haven't spun the fly rod for years just getting back into it!!! Remember slow don't rush the motion!!!
Maybe we can learn together!!!! :lol:

FC Very Happy

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 2/22/2009, 2:22 am

hey guys...i could give you a couple great spots on the muskie and s. branch raritan..in return though lol--any tips on swinging flies in the salt? i recently bought a great set up from orvis and cant wait to try it out..
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 2/22/2009, 2:03 pm

needs,

You will do best fishing nymphs. Not much different than fishing bucktails in the current! Although when the time is right nothing is more fun than fishing dry flies on the surface. Kind of like getting bass on a top water plug!!!

Pins,

Same for you except reversed. Swinging a fly in the salt is not much different than swinging nymphs or streamers in the river! The only thing different is in the stream you can add split shot to get your fly down in the salt I use an intermediate line!
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  needlefish 2/23/2009, 10:00 am

naspins ..... any help would be greatly appreciated as i am new to fishing those spots. my father in law is a pretty good fly fisherman. he fishest the salt and the beach... i have spin fished along side him... the tips i can give you are ..... stripping basket, larger wt rod 9-10wt. clouser minnows in chartruse over white or any larger streamers..... sinking line...play the fish from the reel..west wind.... thats about all i know... lol hopefully after this season of learning to fly fish i will have more to offer ... i need to work on catching some small trout before i brave the salt...
needlefish
needlefish

Back to top Go down

Post  HandCarvedLures 3/3/2009, 3:31 am

Hi,
I started surf fishing with a fly rod ....right now I use a shooting head , xi 2 10wt....
HandCarvedLures
HandCarvedLures

Number of posts : 183

http://www.handcarvedlures.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Striperknight 3/13/2009, 3:58 pm

Stay away from the lower Toms River. Very over grown and hard for a beginner to fish. The Upper section in Jackson is ok for Fly rodding.

Striperknight

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 3/13/2009, 4:07 pm

hey striperknight it was great talking to you at the fling! You make some sweet plugs!
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  Striperknight 3/13/2009, 4:30 pm

technologist wrote:hey striperknight it was great talking to you at the fling! You make some sweet plugs!
Thank you. It was good to meet you as well.

Striperknight

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  needlefish 4/15/2009, 6:45 pm

thanks for the tip about the toms.......... and yes i have seen some of your plugs on the other sites and they are sweet
needlefish
needlefish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down