Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers

+5
holymackeral
first2wins
REDBASS
stevel
smitty
9 posters

Go down

Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers Empty Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers

Post  smitty 6/20/2010, 3:24 pm

I'm new to the kayaking world only have one trip under my belt and on that 1st trip i felt very uneasy as if i was going to flip if i made a drastic move or a heavy cast.

what i came up with and i know I'm not the first in fact you can buy something like this in stores I'm sure i know you can get it on-line.
a few piece's of 3"pvc a few clamps and now i have a cheep and very effective outrigger flotation system its not 100% roll proof but i had it out in the pool trying my best to flip it and it was very hard to do i could even stand up in it and feel very stable.
So i think it passed the pool test with fling colors now the bay test is next.....

Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers 0995ad09

Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers 1c2e8942

Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers Ea3539fb
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers Empty Re: Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers

Post  stevel 6/20/2010, 8:31 pm

great job smitty safty is #1 priarity .....looks great and not to expensive to make .... cheers cheers
YOU BETTER PATTEN THEM BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES....STEVELS KAYAK CUSTOM OUTRIGGERS.....$$$$$.... lol! lol!
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 6/20/2010, 8:50 pm

the bay test went well i do have a few things i want to change but other then that it was good.
had plenty of boats going past and it floated great threw the wakes of the boats as if nothing was going on and thats what i really need it for the safety of no getting rocked over by other boats.

I do need to spread them out a bit farther so they dont get in my way when paddling and i will raise them a little bit more.
Then i will paint them black so they dont stand out so much lol i was getting looks and pointed at the whole time.
smitty
smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 6/20/2010, 9:53 pm

SMITTY MINE ARE SPACED OUT ABOUT 8 FEET. 4 FOOT ON EACH SIDE. LEAVE THEM WHITE. ITS A GOOD THING THAT PEOPLE SEE THEM. IT WILL HELP KEEP THEM AWAY FROM YOU. ALSO CARRY A WHISLE WITH YOU. THEY COME IN HANDY. ALSO A KNIFE ON YOU PFD.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  first2wins 6/20/2010, 10:01 pm

Smitty don’t you get looks and pointed at just walking down the street… lol!

I have never been a fan of extensions, but have thought about using them for back bay and river where I would like to stand up more.

How is the weight of the floats? Does it bend the cross bar at all? You may be able to make them out of foam and wrap it in fiber glass to cut down on weight if it is an issue.

When people point at you in a kayak just give them a Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers 92223 knowing you are probably able to spend much more time on the water as them. they run out of gas, you may have gas from eating so many granola bars, but it is all the fuel you will need to stay out all day all night.
first2wins
first2wins

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 6/21/2010, 7:44 am

nice job smitty good to see you feel safer in the water........ why not paint them pink? we won't make fun i promise...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 6/25/2010, 9:51 pm

Very cool Smitty!!! Home made is always better$$$$$$. Good luck with the new outfit!!!!!

Bluesfish Custom Kayak D.I.Y Outriggers 870783
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Popper 7/13/2010, 8:58 pm

Smitty i made my outriggers out of 2 lobster bouies slid on a piece of pvc with a t in the middle up too the cross brace and the same on the other side. i filled the pvc with the expanding hard foam to give it a little more stiffness on the cross brace
Doc Popper
Doc Popper
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 7/13/2010, 9:18 pm

Doc Popper wrote:Smitty i made my outriggers out of 2 lobster bouies slid on a piece of pvc with a t in the middle up too the cross brace and the same on the other side. i filled the pvc with the expanding hard foam to give it a little more stiffness on the cross brace

doc thats a great idea hey you have any pictures?????
smitty
smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Popper 7/13/2010, 10:42 pm

no i dont smitty but i got the idea from something i read online im sure you could do a search and come up with it i just made a few mods to make it work for me lol..i wish i had piccs of half the stuff ive built in my time but you know how it is you never think of it to its gone
Doc Popper
Doc Popper
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  126andy 12/23/2010, 1:13 am

Smitty--You should paint them up like large plugs.Maybe even some skulls
126andy
126andy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 711

http://afteryoufishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 12/23/2010, 10:43 am

i like it smitty .. i bunjy corded swimming noodles to the sides of mine 2 on each side and it made a world of differance im going with the doc popper ... i have a 2 flag pole holder that im going to mount with 2 lobster pot bouies the bigger ones you find them all over up here in the rocks

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down