Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handcarved option

+8
Smoke
joesfishinproblem
skippy
stevel
FJR
Murphthesurf
Kevnmary
ecduzitgood
12 posters

Go down

Handcarved option Empty Handcarved option

Post  ecduzitgood 2/19/2010, 5:01 pm

Live herring were one of my favorite live baits for strippers but I could no longer fish them so I was looking for a herring style plug and couldn't find what I was looking for so I decided to build my own. I started with a piece of cedar stockade fence (very cheap and easy to find). The first thing I did was draw the shape I wanted and then using spry on adhesive attach the pattern onto the wood.
Handcarved option Web_wo10
After using my scroll saw to cut the shape out this is what I have
Handcarved option Step_110
I then sand the two pieces to shape untill I get them to match/line upHandcarved option 100_1110
Handcarved option Web_1010
Once I am happy with the shape I router out a channel for the thru-wire and use marine epoxy to join the two halves together (make sure most of the sandidng is done around the areas where the thru-wire protrudes) and clamp overnight. Then I finish sanding to shape
Handcarved option Left_a10
Handcarved option Glued10
Then I drilled using a forstner bit the holes for the eyes and the magnet
Handcarved option 100_1111
Handcarved option 100_1112
It is my belief that the diggers are caused when the plug hits the water and the hook points hit the plug so i wanted to minimize hook movement without securing the hook completely.The magnet is something I am using to try and minimize the amount of damage the belly hook does to the finish and I feel having the hook sit the way it does makes for a more realistic appearence (kind of like fins as opposed to a hanging hook). I install the magnet using epoxy and minor sanding to shape. Next I seal the plug with minwax wood hardner (read the cautions on can). I test how the plug floats and install weight untill I am happy with how it sits in water filling each hole with epoxy (This can be time consuming but I want to weight the plug like I would weight a real makeral or bluefish for trolling for Bluefin tuna thus eliminating the lip, once again for a more natural appearence).
Handcarved option Balanc10
Once I am happy with how the plug is balanced I scuff the plug with 220 grit to promote adhesion and prime the plug (I use Krylon spry can for primer and basecoat color once again read the can)
Handcarved option Primed10
Then I wet sand the primer (360 grit wet/dry) and apply my base color (flat black for this plug)
Handcarved option 100_1113
Next I scuff the base color 400 wet and apply etex sealer (spraycan sealer 3-4 light coats read the can warnings) and scuff again using 400 grit wet and apply the scales using mesh/netting taping the head so it is not painted using acrylic metalic perl white paint thinned to spray using my airbrush and apply a light coat/coats
Handcarved option Web_1011
After I am happy with the scales I seal this caot using the etex spray can sealer and scuff lightly with 400 wet and a 3m scuff pad (grey) and hand paint the head area using the same metalic pearl white
Handcarved option Lft_fa10
Once again I seal this with the etex 2-3 coats and scuff again using a 3m scuff pad and then apply the metalic white pearl thinned in light coats till I have the right amount of the scales showing through (I tape the upper area with painters tape low tack or drag the blue tape accroos you pants a couple of times to eliminate some of the stickiness)
Handcarved option Top_co10
Then I seal this with etex sealer scuff with 3m scuff pad and install the eyes withe epoxy and attach to my spinner and coat with Envirotex lite (When I built this plug I was not able to finish because of the weather so I am using a photo of my first plug)
Handcarved option 100_1114
I will go over how I made the eyes later.

ecduzitgood

Number of posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Handcarved option Empty Re: Handcarved option

Post  Kevnmary 2/19/2010, 6:11 pm

Very cool EC. I love the shape of this it almost has the shape of a Goldeneye maverick (without the lip obviously) have you tried to design it with a lip? What's the finished weight on that baby and how does it swim?
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  ecduzitgood 2/19/2010, 6:52 pm

I will have to put it on a scale again since I don't remember but I think it was 3.6 oz. I designed it to look like a cotton cordell big-o I used to have and lost after one cast. The whole idea was to just cast it to breaking fish and move it slow if at all and give it a few twitches. I did find that it swims with a slow side to side wobble just like a dead bluefish rigged for tuna (weight located on the chin/lower jaw) I don't see any need for the lip due to the weighting placement. It does swim and has caught for me so I know the lip isn't necessary. Although if I did design it with a lip the weighting would alot easier almost foolproof (just low in the belly slightly foward). But I didn't want the lip for times when the plug is standing still and a big girl with years of experience was looking at it just sitting there and then twitch...bang (haven't you ever had a bass hit when the plug was not moving?). Lot's of people feel it's necessary but if you weight it right there is no need for the lip it will swim properly. I originally had the hook positioned so they were on either side of the body but have decided to flip the hook over and the hook set ratio increased. This photo shows how the magnet held the hook (trebble with one hook removed)
Handcarved option 102_1510
This is after I changed the hook position and fished it all summer with minimal damage to the plugs finish (this is the plug featured in the build from above)
Handcarved option 100_1710

ecduzitgood

Number of posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  Murphthesurf 2/19/2010, 7:25 pm

Excellent...
Murphthesurf
Murphthesurf
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1567

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 2/19/2010, 7:30 pm

Excellent job, like the fact there isn't any lip.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 2/19/2010, 7:34 pm

great job ...looks fantastic .... cool
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Handcarved option Empty cool

Post  skippy 2/19/2010, 8:33 pm

great job, and thanks for sharing Handcarved option 560155

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 2/19/2010, 8:47 pm

awesome work <><

jfp
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 2/19/2010, 9:45 pm

Very nice bait.tight lines..
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 2/19/2010, 10:53 pm

AWESOME JOB BRO....... THAT PLUG LOOKS SICK! Handcarved option 962367 Handcarved option 962367 Handcarved option 962367
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 2/19/2010, 11:10 pm

thats a hell of a lot of work, but the end result is stunning, kudos bro Handcarved option 560155 Handcarved option 560155 Handcarved option 560155

Etch
etch
etch

Number of posts : 1193

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com/Etch-Custom-Lures-h2.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  charlibonz 2/20/2010, 7:27 pm

Now without a doubt thats sick. I like the step by step. Very insane. I for one am a big fan of the Big O. Hope you murder them with it,

charlibonz

Number of posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  black talon 2/21/2010, 1:23 pm

thats one sweet plug. nice post

black talon

Number of posts : 342

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content