Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That's it I'm quitting Smoking

+4
rebelmusicnp
holymackeral
Oldsalts
tom1276
8 posters

Go down

That's it I'm quitting Smoking Empty That's it I'm quitting Smoking

Post  tom1276 1/28/2010, 11:28 pm

Guys and Gals,

I've been a smoker for 16 + years and NOW it's time to quit. I'm 33. I've had enough of the coughing the heaviness on my chest at times Etc.. Some people say it's easy to quit others say it's not. So all the support I can get I'll take it.

SO I started a smoking sensation class tonight @ Centra State ( Freehold Hospital). The class goes for 7-8 weeks. the 1st night is just a meet and greet. I need alot of support. I know I can get it from this great group of people.

I am starting with the patch and the gum which I'll get this weekend when I get paid. I smoke 1 1/2-2 packs a day and weening myself down slowly. My quit date is going to be Feb.8th. I find some days I don't smoke as much other days I do. Any bit of info or whatever support you guys can give would be appreciated and I need someone to stay on my a$$ as much as possible with a phone call or a quick PM to see how I am doing with it.. Thanks for the support ahead of time guys.

Tom
tom1276
tom1276

Number of posts : 572

Back to top Go down

That's it I'm quitting Smoking Empty Re: That's it I'm quitting Smoking

Post  Oldsalts 1/28/2010, 11:40 pm

Awesome Deal Tom

If you need to talk to a non-smoker just give me a yell...
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 1/28/2010, 11:58 pm

good going man....... i had a friend's father quit cold turkey. he smoked for 30 years. not sure how he did it but he did....... ate a lot of sweets though.... good luck and keep to it...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 1/29/2010, 12:44 am

good luck man. i've seen so many people "quit" and go back to it. bad addiction indeed. wish you the best!
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 1/29/2010, 2:37 am

I smoked from my Jr year in college until I was 35. Mostly Merit Ultra Lights but really anything that was available! drool

I quit cold turkey when my 2nd (really 3rd) kid was born (2001). I was commuting into NYC at the time and I used to crave that smoke after I got off the train and started my walk to the office. What I found helpful was a website that described what your body was going through when you quit.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I looked at this as a challenge and wanted to see if I could feel these things happening to me. and the thing is before you know it the physical addiction is conquered. The mental addiction is a little tougher but you just have to take it one day, one week, one month, one year at a time. Before you know it you're so far past it you have no desire to start again.

Now I have to be honest and tell you that I do have a cigar once or twice or three times a month but I haven't had a cigarette in almost 10 years.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  tom1276 1/29/2010, 9:28 am

Thanks Kev, I'll be reading that site later on tonight.
tom1276
tom1276

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick..stillcasting 1/29/2010, 11:09 am

The first step like anything else is really really wanting to quit,, that true to yourself burning desire to quit! It can't be half ass or anything less than 100%,, if 99% you'll be driving to WAWA in the middle of the nite 4 cigs.I think having a quit date is good,, attending a support group,let family and friends know of your intent, making a public statement is positive,that support group will be giving you many mental/physical tools to help stop the triggers that make you reach or want to light-up. I think the most profound is looking into your childrens eyes and wanting to be alive and active in their lives into a ripe old age. Look in your mirror and tell that guy you are stronger than that butt,, there is nothing good about it,, it is not your friend! It will and can kill you!
The toughest days will be the 1st,, then the 2nd,, then the 3rd,, if you get that far,, you have made a string of days,, now you've accomplished something! Now look at that string,, feel great about about it! You are on the road of being free of nicotine addiction.
Send me your number and I'll call you giving you advice and positive support.
I'm now 5 months 29 days w/o a cig,, I'm walking the walk.

Rick..stillcasting

Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post  bassmaster rubes 1/29/2010, 12:44 pm

GOOD LUCK HOPE YOUR SUSCESSFULL
bassmaster rubes
bassmaster rubes

Number of posts : 139

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1157307379

Back to top Go down

Post  tom1276 2/17/2010, 10:14 am

Just an UPDATE. I've been SMOKE FREE for 7 days now... That's it I'm quitting Smoking 560155 That's it I'm quitting Smoking 560155 That's it I'm quitting Smoking 560155

I feel pretty good. I dont even want to pick up another one. I don't have any urges to have one. I walk by people who are smoking and the smell makes me want to puke. I'm glad I quit. I drive all day and it does't bother me. I reached one day for them in the work van and realized I didn't have them with me. It didn't faze me one bit. I hope I keep it up.
tom1276
tom1276

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 2/17/2010, 1:18 pm

Nice Job Tom! If you can now train yourself to disassociate the things you used to do while smoking you'll have the battle won. Dont foods taste better? Forget that cup of coffee smoke the coffee tastes better without the smoke. Are you still on nicotine or are you done with the patch and gum? Once that addiction is weaned away you will be a non-smoker.
Congratulations and keep it up.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 2/17/2010, 1:26 pm

GOOD LUCK TOM, YOU CAN DO IT!

MY DAD ON MY 20TH BIRTHDAY WEEK ASK ME WHAT I WANTED, WHILE I WAS SITTING W/ HIM ON THE PORCH WHILE HE SMOKED........ I SAID NOTHING. HE SAID WELL THERE MUST BE SOMETHING YOU WANT........ I LOOKED AT HIM AND SAID QUIT SMOKING FOR ME....... ON MY BIRTHDAY HE TOLD ME HE QUIT........ HE DID IT COLD TURKEY BRO AND NEVER HAD ANOTHER ONE EVER AGAIN................
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 2/17/2010, 1:31 pm

rocstar21 wrote:GOOD LUCK TOM, YOU CAN DO IT!

MY DAD ON MY 20TH BIRTHDAY WEEK ASK ME WHAT I WANTED, WHILE I WAS SITTING W/ HIM ON THE PORCH WHILE HE SMOKED........ I SAID NOTHING. HE SAID WELL THERE MUST BE SOMETHING YOU WANT........ I LOOKED AT HIM AND SAID QUIT SMOKING FOR ME....... ON MY BIRTHDAY HE TOLD ME HE QUIT........ HE DID IT COLD TURKEY BRO AND NEVER HAD ANOTHER ONE EVER AGAIN................

You just choked me up Roc!
If you can do it for yourself do it for the people who love you.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Back to top Go down

Post  tom1276 2/17/2010, 5:55 pm

Thanks guys.

Yeah still on the 21 Mg patch for about 3 more weeks then I'll go down to the 14 Mg patch for another 4 weeks and then I should be good to go. It's working so far. I know I can keep it up.
tom1276
tom1276

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down