Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some help choosing a new reel

+4
Jonboat
STRIPERTED
HONEYHOLEDIPPER
jim2screws
8 posters

Go down

I need some help choosing a new reel Empty I need some help choosing a new reel

Post  jim2screws 1/14/2010, 10:45 pm

I'm in the market for a new freshwater reel, this reel will be used to fish heavy weed beds with frogs, and maybe some jig fishing also. I was looking at the Abu Revo, thinking it could do double duty fishing for weakfish out of the yak. It's been about 20 years since i have bought a freshwater reel and i could really use some help. I don't know if it matters but i plan to use braid on this reel.

Thanks
Jim

jim2screws

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

I need some help choosing a new reel Empty Re: I need some help choosing a new reel

Post  HONEYHOLEDIPPER 1/16/2010, 9:30 pm

Jim ,Did you want a bait caster or spinn? Cross over reels as i like to call em (shaimano spheros) mines the 400 model work off the yak/boat fresh and salt .not over kill for freshand stands up in the salt. quantlm pt bait caster made for the salt but then again a bass buddy caster reel, i use mine for jiggin fluke.hope this helps.
rick
HONEYHOLEDIPPER
HONEYHOLEDIPPER

Number of posts : 130

Back to top Go down

I need some help choosing a new reel Empty Re: I need some help choosing a new reel

Post  STRIPERTED 1/20/2010, 12:00 am

fresh or salt baitcast or spin QUANTAM PT 40 series you cant go wrong

STRIPERTED

Number of posts : 722

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonboat 3/8/2010, 11:20 am

I like baitcasters for froggin.

My go-to for frogging is an Ambassadeur 5 on a 7' Heavy action rod.

Load 'em up with heavy braid (i use 40# PowerPro) - will cut through vegetation when you get a fish on, increasing your chance of getting the fish to the boat.
Jonboat
Jonboat

Number of posts : 11

http://upstatenyfishing.4fx.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  FNC1stMate 3/30/2010, 4:25 pm

shimano chronarch mg if for saltwater too. The zoom frogs or yum frogs are my new hot bait with a big old gamagatsu threw the back. As soon as it hits the water I throw it right in gear hundreds of times a trip for 2 years soon to be 3 and no noises, clicks, grindin nothin, works like the day I got it. Just a good review on the chronarch, it works flawlessly, and I'm sure any good quality reel will perform the same. Make sure you get a rod that is suitable for braid so you don't tear up your guides, most fuji guides can handle the braid.

FNC1stMate

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  victank1 2/8/2011, 11:03 am

Jim, I bought some new reels here a while back and so did a buddy of mine. I bought some new open face reels from bass pro shop and they a re great for what I bought them for, crappie fishing. My buddy bought two new reels from Academy Sports ..they are the H2O series 10 ball bearing baitcasting reels for 49.95..These are some of the finist reels other than a abu garcia record or shimano calcutta I have had my hands on.. they are smooth and will hoss in the big ones. You would have to go to a $160 to $170 dollar reel to get a reel even close to this reel. If you have a Academy Sports in your area go by and pick one up, don't think you will be sorry you did. cheers I need some help choosing a new reel 870783 I need some help choosing a new reel 870783 I need some help choosing a new reel 870783 I need some help choosing a new reel 870783
victank1
victank1

Number of posts : 212

Back to top Go down

Post  hookedonahobby 2/12/2011, 12:57 am

Hi Jim,

I am a Quantum man myself..... Of all the reels I have I really still like the Energy series. Now the Accurist reels are great with their brake system. Depending on what weight frog you are throwing you might want to look at a the smaller profile reels. If you are throwing a grass frog for instance than you might be better off with the accurist. If you are throwing a heavier frog, giant rubber grass frog then the larger Energy reels would be great also. I have Shimano reels also but I really love the Quantum reels, very reasonable. Good Luck!

hookedonahobby

Number of posts : 24

http://www.fishingluredisplays.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Down South 2/18/2011, 9:37 am

I have several Shimano Curado's that I really like and have served me well for several years. The Abu Revo is another good choice.

Dean

Down South

Number of posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down