Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Pass It On" a short story by Jim Hill.

2 posters

Go down

"Pass It On" a short story by Jim Hill. Empty "Pass It On" a short story by Jim Hill.

Post  Rick..stillcasting 12/27/2009, 7:12 pm

Pass it on

By Jim Hill

As we move through our lives and see all the opportunities it has to offer, we settle on the things we like. I’m an outdoorsman! My passion in hitting the beach! There’s nothing like a new moon, the darkness surrounds you and envelops you in it’s magical arms! The crashing surf in the afternoon, bluefish marauding the beach. Watching the sun break the horizon while the birds work just off the beach. I’ve found nothing like this in any aspect of life, Untill now!

I like many of you have a child. My son is 13 years old and has a zest for all things childlike. The video games ,facebook,twitter,online time,ect…..He also love soccer and playing his bass guitar. I remember when I was his age,.We used to ride our bikes to the creek and spend the day with tadpoles, minnows and smallmouthbass!We would head down to the tracks and hike through the woods in search of deer just to look at. My brother and I wouldn’t go to the beach with mom and dad while on vacation, we wanted to crab and fish in the bay the entire time! Do you remember those days, when the most important thing what was on the end of your line or in your crosshairs?

Our children today have vast opportunities to participate in activities well beyond what we had available. This leads to a difficult decision which needs to be made by all outdoors men and women. How do we get our children involved in our beloved pursuits?

The schedules which our offspring face is tedious at best. Band before school in the AM, soccer/baseball after school. Extra curricular activities in the evening. HOMEWORK!

How do you find the time?

We are a society which has lost the love of the outdoors and the pursuits which our fore fathers loved and took every spare moment they had to enjoy them. One of the reasons the surf is a nighttime activity is we have to keep up with the Jones! Work and business have to come first or that depleted college fund will never grow, and shudder, the mortgage won’t be paid. When do we find the time to teach our children about our passion?

I for one have taken to planning fishing/outdoor time with my son. I usually get him to invite a friend to go along to further spread the joy! I’ve been taking him fishing since he was old enough to walk. He really gets into it when we’re actually there. It’s getting him to go, that’s the trick. We plan our excursions together. Weather it’s hitting the beach, or wading a local creek, it’s quality time spent with my son. An added bonus is always catching fish.

This leads me back to my opening statement, seeing the outdoors through my son’s eyes is the most incredible experience I’ve ever had. Watching him on the beach, trying to throw past the bar. Teaching him knots, and answering questions about the plugs. It’s awesome, a father couldn’t be prouder.

All this said where is our passion headed? Looking at a picture of a crowded beach from this past spring here in NJ, I see plenty of men lined up shoulder to shoulder casting at a big pod of bunker. Where are the kids at? I’m worried that this wonderful past time we enjoy may die with my generation, or maybe the next. What do we do to keep this thing alive? How do we PASS IT ON? Politicians seem to be plotting against outdoors men and women also, limiting places we can go and opportunities we used to take for granted. Without future generations picking up and running with our passion, the anti’s will win. Our society will become indoor based, and the joy of the outdoors will be lost. This is what I’ve done to fight back!

I’ve taken to inviting friends and family along with their children to partake in some fishing excursions. It doesn’t have to be a full blown beach excursion, it could be just hitting a local pond, or creek. I try to set up fishing outings with buddies from the web sites we all participate in. I find when there’s a group of folks out, the fishing might suffer, but the fun and camaraderie creates interest among non-fishing folks. The more interest spawned at an outing like this, will create excitement and future fishing excursions.

I’ve been involved in trout derbies, and take a kid fishing days.These days are priceless!

Watching a child catch anything, and seeing the thrill in their eyes is overwhelming. It harkens me back to the days at the sunny pond! Watching my own son catch when we’re out is the bomb! I’ll never forget his first walleye, smallie, and of course his first bass on the beach. We as fisherman and women need to pass it on. With awesome resources at our fingertips, creating an environment where fishing can thrive and become our children’s heritage, is my dream.

Quick story. The last adventure my son and I took will stay with me forever. While on the ride home he turned to me and asked,” Dad will I be able to take my son fishing?” I told him sure you’ll have the same fun we have. He said,” Dad I don’t think anybody could have as much fun as we had today.”

Pass it on and take a kid fishing

Rick..stillcasting

Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

"Pass It On" a short story by Jim Hill. Empty Re: "Pass It On" a short story by Jim Hill.

Post  Bluesfish 12/27/2009, 8:12 pm

Very insightful story FC. My Dad took the time to show me what the great outdoors is all about, so I must pass it along to not olny my kids but as many as I can.
Thanks Jim

Bluesfish Welcome To SBO
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down