Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K-Marter's...

+10
smitty
Minivin5
Artificial All The Way
rebelmusicnp
Stevsea
Rick..stillcasting
REDBASS
AKScuba
captainmidnight
OCsurfcaster
14 posters

Go down

K-Marter's... Empty K-Marter's...

Post  OCsurfcaster 6/22/2009, 11:54 pm

Is it me, or do you look at some of the guys next to you and see the classic white oversized rod with spots of red and think, man what are they doing??? I know i used to be the new kid on the block at my local spots, but i hope i was never as bad as some of the people ive seen. You know the king fish rig with a bunker head on it that flys a whopping 5 feet. im not at all saying hey, im better then you, or even acting cocky, because i have no right to, i often love talking to anyone who is fishing around me, but in my gut i think to myself.."man this poor guy hasnt a chance right now"..does anyone else think this way?
OCsurfcaster
OCsurfcaster

Number of posts : 137

Back to top Go down

K-Marter's... Empty Re: K-Marter's...

Post  captainmidnight 6/23/2009, 12:05 am

The best thing you can do is offer assistance.........be mindful that not everyone can afford Lamis and Vs reels....andnot everyone is fishing for sport, some are really trying to feed there familes, etc. We, collectively, as a sport tend - on occasion to look upon others with an "elitists"eye.......next time you see someone...offer a few friendly tips......a little kindness goes a long way.

C.M.
captainmidnight
captainmidnight

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post  OCsurfcaster 6/23/2009, 12:07 am

oh i do, i talk to anyone an everyone. and in no way shape or fourm do i have van stalls or lami's, i was just wondering if others thought at times as i thought.
OCsurfcaster
OCsurfcaster

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 6/23/2009, 12:28 am

Solution to the problem? Talk to em! I did it saturday night when I was fishing CISP catching bass on plugs next to a father uncle and son who were obviously frustrated. I walked back to my truck, grabbed a few spare plugs and Fin-s fish and handed em out, showed em how to cast and retrieve em. Helped em retie their knots, add leader to their line, rig their hooks for bait so they wouldnt come up with seaweed. little stuff like that goes a long way unless you can tell they cant be saved. Im gonna start keeping extra cheap lures in my bag from now on for people that I see that are struggling or are obviously new. We all had to start somewhere didnt we?
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 6/23/2009, 7:51 am

WHEN I SEE PEOPLE HAVING A HARD TIME I TRY TOO HELP OUT. SOME TIMES THEY DONT WANT YOU TOO HELP THEM. ALWAYS TRY TOO HELP OUT THE KIDS. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT WILL CARRY OUR SPORT ON . ITS GREAT TOO SEE THE SMILES ON THERE FACE. WHEN THEY CATCH A FISH AFTER YOU HAVE HELPED THEM OUT. K-Marter's... 870783
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick..stillcasting 6/23/2009, 7:57 am

I know I haven't seen it all,,, but some of the things I've witnessed have made for great entertainment.. when appropriate I've offered positive advice if I thought the person was approachable or his girlfriend was purtty,, the fact is we all started w/ little or no concept of what we're trying to do.. I've turned guys on to fishing sites and have made friends w/ one fella that visits for the summer and calls me to learn what is maybe lurking along w/ asking for spots that I've given freely. He has since learned how to read the surf,, knows about terminal tackle and how to match the hatch...so to speak.
I get a kick outa the guy that runs to the surf w/ work boots on and makes a horrible cast and runs back to his bucket.
The thing I will not be is an elitist,,,I disdain pompous people,, in my common area I run into fishing snobs that I wouldn't like in any avenue of life.
Like all have said,, giving a guy advice and a "working plug" could light his fire to learn and you never know how far simple acts of kindness will travel.
Still I love to watch the complete novice.

Rick..stillcasting

Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

K-Marter's... Empty My all time favorite

Post  Stevsea 6/23/2009, 8:34 am

Everyone sees some strange tackle choices and methods used by other fisherman. My step brother (a surfer) brought home a lure that he found on the beach. It was a brand new swimming plug attached to the upper part of a stainless steel Hi-Lo rig with a pyramid sinker attaced to the snap on the bottom. Hey....Maybe he knows something that I don't.....Ever think of it that way?? K-Marter's... 56958 I'm sure I've done some things up north salmon fishing that looked strange to the locals there too. But I must say that my all time fondest memory in this respect is when I was going out Manasquan inlet in a boat one morning and starting to head north, I saw a man casting an umbrella rig loaded with tubes into the water from the north jetty. God is my witness. I know what I saw. I thought I was hallucinating but it was real......I wonder how he made out that day??
Stevsea
Stevsea

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 6/23/2009, 12:38 pm

"white rodders" where is joefishingproblem on this one? is he at work? K-Marter's... 56958
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Artificial All The Way 6/23/2009, 2:20 pm

captainmidnight wrote:The best thing you can do is offer assistance

C.M.

On the money Capt.

I will offer to help anyone with fishing and or hunting. The more you can educate a fellow sportsmen the better off all of us are.

Can't tell you how many lures, plugs, plastics, rigs and so on I've given away just this season. Need to make room in my home tackle shop to buy more crap anyways. Why not help a fellow fisherman out? Anyone spots me hooking up and asks gets help. Anyone pushing into my spots being a dumbass gets wet. :twisted:

Problem with many is even after instructions, lures, and productive fish holding spots they still don't get it. Just fishing the other day in the Housitoc River mouth. I was sitting on a school of 22 to 26" bass by the thousands. Me and my buddy hooked a fish on almost every cast. Shot and out of beer after 50 fish each I head back to the dock. Send a guy to the very spot with in eye site and give him the plastics we just caught fish on and he called me up asking what else to try in ten minutes. I'm floored. We run back over and both hook up first cast. after telling him several times to cast out and don;t close the bail until the lures hits the sand he casted and reeled right in pulling the lure 10 feet over all the fish. The first cast he let hit bottom he hooked up.

Artificial All The Way

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  OCsurfcaster 6/23/2009, 2:22 pm

Stevsea wrote:Everyone sees some strange tackle choices and methods used by other fisherman. My step brother (a surfer) brought home a lure that he found on the beach. It was a brand new swimming plug attached to the upper part of a stainless steel Hi-Lo rig with a pyramid sinker attaced to the snap on the bottom. Hey....Maybe he knows something that I don't.....Ever think of it that way?? K-Marter's... 56958 I'm sure I've done some things up north salmon fishing that looked strange to the locals there too. But I must say that my all time fondest memory in this respect is when I was going out Manasquan inlet in a boat one morning and starting to head north, I saw a man casting an umbrella rig loaded with tubes into the water from the north jetty. God is my witness. I know what I saw. I thought I was hallucinating but it was real......I wonder how he made out that day??

hahahah thats great.
OCsurfcaster
OCsurfcaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 6/23/2009, 2:51 pm

Artificial All The Way wrote:

Problem with many is even after instructions, lures, and productive fish holding spots they still don't get it. Just fishing the other day in the Housitoc River mouth. I was sitting on a school of 22 to 26" bass by the thousands. Me and my buddy hooked a fish on almost every cast. Shot and out of beer after 50 fish each I head back to the dock. Send a guy to the very spot with in eye site and give him the plastics we just caught fish on and he called me up asking what else to try in ten minutes. I'm floored. We run back over and both hook up first cast. after telling him several times to cast out and don;t close the bail until the lures hits the sand he casted and reeled right in pulling the lure 10 feet over all the fish. The first cast he let hit bottom he hooked up.

I have had similar instances where I have set individuals up, stepped away and watch them continue on with the wrong techniques they were using before. Fishing is like everything else you do in life, it is a learned behavior. The best way to teach someone is to have them follow along with you,ie you are showing them how to tie a knot, have them tie the knot along with you. Sometimes you have to dumb down yourself to allow the other the person to benefit from your knowledge, and PATIENCE is key.
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 6/23/2009, 3:08 pm

Hey all this backstabbing about me is not nice just cause i wear my waders in the pool and wear workbooks on the beach and fish with my spider man pole does not make me a dummy.......... Embarassed
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NORMAN85 6/23/2009, 3:11 pm

Ive been surf fishing once and i think i fell asleep for two hours with some weight and squid out there woke up and went home ...havent gone since , its been 5 years.The experience turned me off. Sleep
NORMAN85
NORMAN85
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 167

http://www.justin.tv/namron_

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 6/23/2009, 3:25 pm

smitty wrote:Hey all this backstabbing about me is not nice just cause i wear my waders in the pool and wear workbooks on the beach and fish with my spider man pole does not make me a dummy.......... Embarassed

Whiner. lol! K-Marter's... 56958
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 6/23/2009, 5:02 pm

I agree with the advice suggestion. AK getting some of your stuff and helping out is a real standup thing to do. In the past if someone stops to chat i look at what there using and offer help and to the obvious novice i give a surf starter kit similar to the one i got from a now good friend, some of my teasers a plug i've made and a t-hex, this will get anyone started off and it makes me feel good to help someone else out. just pay it forward.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 6/23/2009, 5:34 pm

i think i saw akscuba aka (scuba steve) lol! using the k mart speical last week at lbi lol K-Marter's... 622665 K-Marter's... 56958 use should bring it tuna fishing ak
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 6/23/2009, 7:08 pm

joesfishinproblem wrote:i think i saw akscuba aka (scuba steve) lol! using the k mart speical last week at lbi lol K-Marter's... 622665 K-Marter's... 56958 use should bring it tuna fishing ak

how bout i take my 12 foot tica and beat you upside the head with it lol!
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 6/23/2009, 7:09 pm

K-Marter's... 56958
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 6/23/2009, 8:17 pm

Better yet Ill introduce you to my new toy I just picked up at work today... turn you into a walkin pincushion Very Happy
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 6/23/2009, 8:32 pm

OCsurfcaster wrote:Is it me, or do you look at some of the guys next to you and see the classic white oversized rod with spots of red and think, man what are they doing??? I know i used to be the new kid on the block at my local spots, but i hope i was never as bad as some of the people ive seen. You know the king fish rig with a bunker head on it that flys a whopping 5 feet. im not at all saying hey, im better then you, or even acting cocky, because i have no right to, i often love talking to anyone who is fishing around me, but in my gut i think to myself.."man this poor guy hasnt a chance right now"..does anyone else think this way?

I usually don't say anythng unless they ask or seem like they want advise. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people use some crazy stuff and hook up with the biggest fish :suspect: Fishing the PP jetty one day I saw a guy fishing with a A27 and a mackerel rig. I was fishing the spot for a while....I threw everything including snapper blues confused This guy goes to the tip and casts out....all you hear is...thwap,thwap,thwap. My brother and I start laughing...is he fishing with rope :lol: about 5 minutes later he pulls in a 15lb bass in the middle of the summer... :suspect: Sometimes the weirdest things will work :affraid:
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 393

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum