Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PENN 550 SSG

+6
LHPAULY83
Fishtale
AKScuba
whitey
Rick..stillcasting
stevel
10 posters

Go down

PENN 550 SSG Empty PENN 550 SSG

Post  stevel 6/5/2009, 8:38 am

was looking at the PENN 550 SSG ,like to know if its worth getting its nice and light want to know how its performance is thanks :scratch: :scratch: PENN 550 SSG 962367 NO KEV IM NOT GETTING IT SO U CAN HAVE THE KNOB
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

PENN 550 SSG Empty Re: PENN 550 SSG

Post  Rick..stillcasting 6/5/2009, 8:41 am

I've had one for 3 years and give it a strong workout,, never had and problems w/ it. Easy to clean and care for,, hopefully the price is still below $100.

Rick..stillcasting

Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 6/5/2009, 9:30 am

i have one dont realy like it compared to all the other penns i have... i like the 600m way more then the 550g

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/5/2009, 9:36 am

Too much body flex compared to the SSM

That worries me

Big J
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 6/5/2009, 11:44 am

I have the 450SSG, I love it... Best reel I currently own right now.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 6/6/2009, 12:07 am

First off, please do not compare it to a VS or a ZB. It's a Penn, but it's a decent Penn. I used the 550 and a 650 for years before upgrading to VS. Anyway, the 550 is super light and super tough. The housing is graphite and that scares some people, but I've used it locally for years and out at Montauk a few times with zero problems. Also had it submerged a few times with no problems either. If your shoulders tire quickly and your wallet tires quickly, this is the reel for you. It's easily serviced and drag is standard Penn. If you want to get it wet, use white lithium grease for lubrication, and a small bead of silicone when sealing the body halves back up. For the money, the 550 is hard to beat.

Now, on the flip side, you have the Slammer series. The 460 is a tad smaller than the 550 but it is metal, a little heavier and supposed to have tougher guts and frame. Both have the same drag system. I also own the 460 and it's great with a 9' rod. If you need the spool yards, go with the 550, if you do not the spool yds, go with the 460 Slammer. Either way, you'll be suprised and pleased.
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 6/6/2009, 8:41 am

Fishtale wrote:First off, please do not compare it to a VS or a ZB. It's a Penn, but it's a decent Penn. I used the 550 and a 650 for years before upgrading to VS. Anyway, the 550 is super light and super tough. The housing is graphite and that scares some people, but I've used it locally for years and out at Montauk a few times with zero problems. Also had it submerged a few times with no problems either. If your shoulders tire quickly and your wallet tires quickly, this is the reel for you. It's easily serviced and drag is standard Penn. If you want to get it wet, use white lithium grease for lubrication, and a small bead of silicone when sealing the body halves back up. For the money, the 550 is hard to beat.

Now, on the flip side, you have the Slammer series. The 460 is a tad smaller than the 550 but it is metal, a little heavier and supposed to have tougher guts and frame. Both have the same drag system. I also own the 460 and it's great with a 9' rod. If you need the spool yards, go with the 550, if you do not the spool yds, go with the 460 Slammer. Either way, you'll be suprised and pleased.
fishtale thnks for ur imput it was helpful to me for the price I CAN GET IT FOR 60 BUCKS WITH SOME COUPONS I HAVE AT DICKS so im gonna get it thanks to everyones input PENN 550 SSG 962367 PENN 550 SSG 962367 PENN 550 SSG 962367
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 6/12/2009, 10:35 pm

Let us know what you think of it!! I think you'll be surprised at the durabiltiy of it...
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Post  LHPAULY83 6/12/2009, 11:30 pm

If you get one get one that is the made in the USA model. Stay away from the newer ones as they tend to break. The real old ones are a metal housing and can litterally get hit by a train and still be fishable. The newer graphite USA's are as durable as the metal and much lighter. The internals are strong and very easy to maintain. The spools on the black and gold penns were never designed for braid so depending on your casting style and size of lure you may encounter some wind knots with pp or other thiner braids. Just be warned they are stainless rollers and will groove over time. Some say they love braid on there penns i have every model boxed and some fished and don't enjoy braid on my penns. Other than that they are work horses. Find a USA model either new or lightly fished and enjoy it should last a really long time. My oldest is a 25 year old 650ss still can pull in a tanker if needed. Hope i helped ya out. PENN 550 SSG 962367
LHPAULY83
LHPAULY83

Number of posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/13/2009, 12:17 am

Fish

Were you using the SS , SSG or a SSM

The best out the bunch is the SS 450 ,550 , 650 ,750 ,850 classic bullet proof .
Second is the SSM Metal Body . Nice Reels 4500 5500 6500 7500 8500
Third The SSG --I do not like the body flex and graphite reels have failed me ..

The Slammers are great except the 760 it is a piece of crap

I will not push ZB on any one ..And when your fishing gets too the point you need a Bullet proof reel then buy a vs ..I have 3 again

I almost fort got the unsung Hero . Penn 710Z
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 6/13/2009, 5:28 pm

Big Johnston wrote:Fish

Were you using the SS , SSG or a SSM

The best out the bunch is the SS 450 ,550 , 650 ,750 ,850 classic bullet proof .
Second is the SSM Metal Body . Nice Reels 4500 5500 6500 7500 8500
Third The SSG --I do not like the body flex and graphite reels have failed me ..

The Slammers are great except the 760 it is a piece of crap

I will not push ZB on any one ..And when your fishing gets too the point you need a Bullet proof reel then buy a vs ..I have 3 again

I almost fort got the unsung Hero . Penn 710Z
Before the VS 200 & 250, I was using the 550ssg andd the 650ssm. Both were perfect reals with the exception heavy fishing out east. I've dunked the 550ssg a few times but not in sand riden waves, only in rocky areas. Glad your back up to par on the VS's! Also have a ZB, but it's not used too much out east, only local... I like the "tankness" of the VS at Montauk
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick..stillcasting 6/15/2009, 9:11 am

I was using that 550 when I caught my big girl,, it really smoked the drag,, in retrospect,, I believe I could have used something w/ stronger drag stopping power.. still got the job done.
I'm now playing w/ the VS consideration,,, I mean I'm going to be fishing until my ashes are flung into the sea,, and we are dead an awefully long time,, and I do deserve it according to me. So will 7 guys send $100. each and I'll be forever grateful.

Rick..stillcasting

Back to top Go down

Post  captainmidnight 6/15/2009, 9:22 am

Rick..stillcasting wrote:I was using that 550 when I caught my big girl,, it really smoked the drag,, in retrospect,, I believe I could have used something w/ stronger drag stopping power.. still got the job done.
I'm now playing w/ the VS consideration,,, I mean I'm going to be fishing until my ashes are flung into the sea,, and we are dead an awefully long time,, and I do deserve it according to me. So will 7 guys send $100. each and I'll be forever grateful.

Sure!!!!!! Just send $119.99 S&H and allow 6 to 8 weeks for Delivery. PENN 550 SSG 56958
captainmidnight
captainmidnight

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 6/15/2009, 10:45 pm

Rick..stillcasting wrote:I was using that 550 when I caught my big girl,, it really smoked the drag,, in retrospect,, I believe I could have used something w/ stronger drag stopping power.. still got the job done.

RICK PULL THE TRIGGER GET THE VS. WELL WORTH IT.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  MV Bluefish 6/16/2009, 9:36 am

Check the Penn website for a service bulletin on what was not deemed worthy of a recall on the 550SSG & 650SSG but is clearly a major manufacturer defect. The plastic nub that the bail trip rests on can easily shear off, (mine did after 14 months of very light use) The only fix is a whole new rotor at $25 for the part not including labor.

Many shops doing the repair do not know about it and my technician replaced the bad rotor with the same defective and vulnerable rotor. Penn obviously did not alert their dealers & authorized service centers and willingly send out new defective rotors without any warning that they are as flimsy as the broken rotor being replaced. Seems Penn values getting rid of old stock far more than saving their reputation. Run don't walk away from the SSG's and Penn.
MV Bluefish
MV Bluefish

Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

PENN 550 SSG Empty rickstillcasting

Post  fish factor 6/16/2009, 9:41 am

check is in the mail lol! lol! lol!
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick..stillcasting 6/17/2009, 3:23 pm

I'd like to thank all for the overwhelming response.. so much so that I purchased a Z-BASS,,25.
So far I've snagged 5 bunker!
The learning curve will take a few more bunkers.

Rick..stillcasting

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 6/17/2009, 3:56 pm

man i cant find the damn bunker keep missing them any hints
have been fishing from sandy hook to sea bright
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092