Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm

+3
fishincrazy
Kevnmary
Finaddict
7 posters

Go down

Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm Empty Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm

Post  Finaddict 3/31/2009, 12:44 pm

Conficker Worm

Background

Since its appearance in late-2008, the Downadup (also called Conficker or Conflicker) worm has become one of the most wide-spread threats to hit the Internet for a number of years. A complex piece of malicious code, this threat was able to jump certain network hurdles, hide in the shadows of network traffic, and defend itself against attack with a deftness not often seen in today’s threat landscape. Yet it contained few previously unseen features. What set it apart was the sheer number of tricks it held up its sleeve.

It all started in mid-October of 2008, we began to receive reports of targeted attacks taking advantage of an as-yet unknown vulnerability in Window’s remote procedure call (RPC) service. Microsoft quickly released an out-of-band security patch (MS08-067), going so far as to classify the update as “critical” for some operating systems—the highest designation for a Microsoft Security Bulletin. Microsoft took the effort to contact enterprise customers and inform them that this security patch needed to be applied with the highest priority.

It wasn’t until late November that Downadup appeared (also called Conficker by some news agencies and antivirus vendors) and achieved modest propagation success. As we moved into 2009 the Downadup worm was discovered to have a hidden danger behind it’s potential payload—Downadup contained the ability to update itself or receive additional files for execution.

On April 1st the Downadup (Conficker) worm will start taking more steps to protect itself. After that date, machines infected with the “C” variant of the worm may not be able to get security updates or patches from Microsoft and from many other vendors. The creators of the worm will also start using a communications system that is more difficult for security researchers to interrupt. Beyond this knowledge we know very little else about the intentions of it’s creators.

It is extremely important that your antivirus software is updated daily to ensure protections are in place. You can set this option up in your antivirus scan preferences.

***Also, new variations of the “Conficker” worm have begin to use Social Networking Sites, this will cause an influx in e-mail which would appear to be from a known individual, but would actually be a fraud containing a malicious payload. In addition, we may also see elongated response times on the Internet since a new influx of updates will be passed to infected clients.
Finaddict
Finaddict

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm Empty Re: Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm

Post  Kevnmary 3/31/2009, 1:03 pm

Has anyone developed a scan to see if your computer is infected?
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm Empty I like Worms DOH!!!!!

Post  fishincrazy 3/31/2009, 4:12 pm

Just Scanning now to check what do you do if you find it???? confused confused confused confused

FC confused

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm Empty Re: Anti-Virus Up To Date April 1st Worm

Post  smitty 3/31/2009, 5:46 pm

de-worm your self lol..... Embarassed
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 3/31/2009, 5:52 pm

So I gotta take that stuff I give the dog?????? :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

cheers SCAN CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers

cheers FC cheers

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  surffishn 3/31/2009, 10:42 pm

De worm youself??? :affraid:

surffishn
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post  Loki 3/31/2009, 11:40 pm

I saw a report on TV thet recommended u try and access McAfee or Norton or any other security web site . This virus blocks your entry to these sites, If your blocked u got a problem. At least that is what was reported.
Loki
Loki

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 4/1/2009, 1:19 am

Well I know of a couple web sites that I wouldn't mind seeing catch that virus. Can't help but think this sounds like some elaborated April Fool's Day joke.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 4/1/2009, 1:20 pm

Kevnmary wrote:Well I know of a couple web sites that I wouldn't mind seeing catch that virus. Can't help but think this sounds like some elaborated April Fool's Day joke.
thats funny lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down