Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lack of Posting on this site

+7
Zmat
rider3
FJR
jimfishUK
handyman
smitty
Captain Ahab
11 posters

Go down

Lack of Posting on this site Empty Lack of Posting on this site

Post  Captain Ahab 10/1/2013, 8:47 pm

I really like this place - but it looks like we are down to a very few posters

Anyone have ideas on how to build the site a little?

Lets make sure SBO keeps going!

Captain Ahab
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Lack of Posting on this site Empty Re: Lack of Posting on this site

Post  smitty 10/2/2013, 10:11 pm

im all ears Very Happy 
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 10/3/2013, 2:52 pm

say there capt im allways here and agree i do miss the posts. even the chats been dead..........but ill still hangout with charlie and the old man..........................yea its a good site

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  jimfishUK 10/6/2013, 8:17 am

I agree, you are good people & made me feel very welcome. Great building tips.
I would really like to know more about your fishing experiences.. would like to visit & try for your stripers in the not too distant future.. so a run down on venues & best times to visit, always welcome.
I've got a post about a bass-trip we had the other day, over here; some nice photos.. will get that up shortly.
Also, an interesting story about some plugs of mine that went to Croatia..

I like reading about the trips you have; if I'm not fishing, it's good to read about it.
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 10/6/2013, 10:07 am

I'm still here, always liked this site. would be great if we could get it back to the way it was.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 10/6/2013, 4:56 pm

Facebook has killed this and may other sites people are able to start a little facebook page in a few seconds and have a "fishing site" not much I can to to compete with it:oops: 
smitty
smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  jimfishUK 10/6/2013, 6:41 pm

I have been thinking a bit on this...

& whilst you are right, Smitty, quality, however, has never equated to popularity, or quantity. If the content is good, enough people will visit out of interest. Some will then contribute as well.
I used to play a lot of sport. Every club I ever belonged to was run by a few people. A very few people. They were the energy, the drive & enthusiasm behind the whole thing. The rest just tagged along. Also, clubs had heydays & they had doldrums; good spells/bad spells.. ebbs & flows. Sometimes they needed reinvigourating.

This site feels like a club to me; a quiet, slightly dingy, softly-lit, gentlemens club. Time-worn, creased leather armchairs & soft music.. the barman knows all our names (& our favourite poisons!). A club, however, frequented by those who know what they're talking about.
Yet, personally, I like it's intimacy. It is an easy-going & polite corner of the internet. People are welcoming & they appreciate an interest in the site.

Other sites feel like airport waiting-lounges to me.. all bustle & hustle & no-one knows your name (or really cares), except for the 'cliques', the 'chosen few' & they won't let you in.
Flash videos & commercially-orientated posts, or self-promotion. Blah, blah, blah.

So, my feeling is that the 'few' who really like it here, might start by posting interesting 'articles'. Sort of more of an 'online magazine'.
Content to attract the 'readers', some of whom may be encouraged to contribute themselves.
You already have enough variety of headings under which to post.
We are all fishermen & we all know what interests us, which will be in common with all other fishermen; plus a sense of 'community', I think.

Content, I am told, should always be big on great photos. Also, dropping in any hints, or fishing tips you can (& we all have picked up on a few of those over the years, is always interesting to me). Anything, I suppose, to create an interesting format that you cannot get elsewhere.

This site is FREE gents. Like anything worth having, though, there is a price to be paid. Perhaps a bit more energy, time & thought from us is needed?

I do hope I am not sounding too 'preachy' here, I really don't mean to. By all means disagree. I am a newbie, foreigner, after all.
But I like this place & these are my honest thoughts.
Also, in the summer, we are all fishing.. in the winter, things will pick up.

Hope that sort of makes sense & the best to all of you, most of all Smitty.

Cheers,
Jim.
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 10/6/2013, 6:58 pm

say jimfishuk lets us know when you plan to head to the USA would be glad to show you around my fish stomping grounds

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 10/6/2013, 7:59 pm

Very well said Jim I do love this place and enjoy every second I spend keeping it running as much as the day I built it....True the winter will bring more visits....

I sure cant do this alone as I have been trying to do its going to take others like your self to keep things alive by posting sand sharing with friends:D
smitty
smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  rider3 10/8/2013, 6:14 pm

one of the best sites i feel.............iv been a member on other boards and have not had neary as much insite and friendship as i have here...........

I havent been around here much latley, but i also havent been fishing much either. Kinda hard to make time with two little kids........But you all know how that goes....
rider3
rider3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 10/9/2013, 12:17 pm

From what I have seen on this site, its usually the write-ups on building and giveaways that draw in the crowds.

Smitty, you are 100% on the FB thing. But what I see there are the narcissistic "sharpies". Self-promoting and posting nothing of any use to anyone else. While we can't compete with someone (FB) due to their size alone, we have to differentiate.

That there is the answer, but I don't quite know the solution.

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Menacer 10/9/2013, 10:10 pm

I wholeheartedly agree that this is the best site there is as a matter fact I don't even post on any of the other sites anymore because of the BS an egos that go along with them.  

I  cant speak for everyone but I wasn't really posting because I have not been building or fishing.
Menacer
Menacer

Number of posts : 322

Back to top Go down

Post  kingfishking 10/12/2013, 2:06 pm

SBO is in my opinion the best site and always try to have some pics and a wright up to post on here after a trip out on the water.
kingfishking
kingfishking
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 458

http://www.mtlmfg.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 11/2/2013, 5:45 pm

i will be the first one to say i have been absent for a while. while there is only a small window to surf for information every day (in my life) i was trying to get the best bang for my buck so to speak. while the other sites have information, it is so vague that it is virtually useless. and as far as joining in, the in-crowd seems to have no openings for inclusion. the recent sale of another popular site has (IMHO) caused the vague info to deteriorate even more. i am not by any means a report chaser, i fish one area and thats all. i just have limited time and want to make the most of it. true reports are valuable to me but what im noticing is some (not on this site) seem to have a banner night wherever and whenever they go, and the ones truly catching some fish are not talking. this site has a much smaller reporting group which caused me to look elsewhere. now i see the error of my process. not making excuses here i want to catch fish but meeting up with someone from this site on the beach would be a banner day for me since i have limited time. so i will put this out here. i am willing to meet up with anyone wanting to fish IBSP that doesnt have a permit or beach buggy, and we can spend some time searching and just enjoy the day. i have a permit and a buggy and am planning to do some trips down from now until mid december weather permitting. this site is by far the best group of people i have had the pleasure of chatting with and i want that to continue. putting faces with names would just be a bonus. i have chatted with charlie for years, he has given me weaving looms, patterns, and tons of info. bluefish traded some of my plugs for sinker molds and then exploded with shapes, patterns and paint jobs that all i can say is WOW. stevel has traded plugs for teasers and tail hooks. i watched him go from his first few to a true craftsman in the tying world. guess what im trying to say is there is a good base of people on here and i for one am planning to try to spend more time here and contribute more.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  Gremlin 11/2/2013, 8:41 pm

Smitty,

Always liked this site from the day I joined. Lots of great people out there and helpful information.

The problem that I saw was with the site going up and down and some "hurt feelings" I guess with members which seemed to end with quite a few members leaving or not posting.

The bickering got old with me and I would stop in from time to time to see who was posting and I agree...not many people.

I don't have an answer but still enjoy looking at the plug building section. That has been my main focus as I don't live down in Jersey or fish down that way.

Anyways, I'll try to be more active and hopefully the site will start to grow again.

Thanks for all that you have done!!! Jamie
Gremlin
Gremlin
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 452

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 11/3/2013, 10:30 am

Maybe something worth trying would be to get rid of that annoying sign up box and let lurkers in, all the other sites do !!! Having the site set up for members only may not be the best way to attract new members.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down