Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fly fishing

4 posters

Go down

Fly fishing Empty Fly fishing

Post  technologist 2/22/2009, 1:34 pm

I used to do A lot of fly fishing especially when the stripers were in their decline. Fly fished most of the states out west and the northeast. I still hit the trout streams in between my forays to the beach! It's nice being retired because I can do it all. Tied trout flys for 30 years and probably won't have to tie any more until I die! Must have thousands. Still tie teasers and salt water flies.
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Fly fishing Empty Re: Fly fishing

Post  etch 2/22/2009, 6:42 pm

flies eh??? you say! do you tie a mean stone fly? and a bead head nymph?? :affraid:

Etch
etch
etch

Number of posts : 1193

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com/Etch-Custom-Lures-h2.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 2/23/2009, 10:57 pm

I have tied those! Right now my plug building has taken over my fly tying area. It's hard to do everything. But I try!!!!
technologist
technologist

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 2/26/2009, 10:35 pm

hey tech...im looking to get into tying my own flies...what would you suggest as far as a vice and tools? im not trying to spend a crazy amount of money, just looking for another hobby lol..also, are there any good books that you would recommend for introducing beginners/showing some detailed patterns?
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 3/2/2009, 5:44 pm

naspinsz wrote:hey tech...im looking to get into tying my own flies...what would you suggest as far as a vice and tools? im not trying to spend a crazy amount of money, just looking for another hobby lol..also, are there any good books that you would recommend for introducing beginners/showing some detailed patterns?

Where do you live?
technologist
technologist

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 3/4/2009, 11:11 pm

central jersey...135 off the parkway
naspinsz
naspinsz

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianM38 3/17/2009, 9:56 am

naspinsz wrote:hey tech...im looking to get into tying my own flies...what would you suggest as far as a vice and tools? im not trying to spend a crazy amount of money, just looking for another hobby lol..also, are there any good books that you would recommend for introducing beginners/showing some detailed patterns?

Fly tying can be an expensive initial investment but its only as expensive as you make it. If it is something you are serious about, invest in quality.

You can go the route I did when I got back into it. I bought a Terra vise from Efingers for 45.00... Cheap but does the job just fine for tailhooks and teasers up to 6/0. I have yet to have any problems with this vise and see no need to upgrade.

You will need a bobbin, scissors made especially for tying ,and whip finisher (or whip finish by hand. I prefer the tool). This will get you started. You will soon find out that household items will find their way onto your bench as well. Toothpick for head cement and cleaning out eyes are one example.

For materials, You can again go as simple or as exotic as you want. To start some assorted bucktails in white, yellow, red and chartruse will get you going. Waxed thread in red, white and black in 6/0 ( my preferance) or 3/0 for larger flies, Hooks. To start, go cheap. Mustad 3407DT hooks in various sizes will work. You can pick up 5pc packs at walmart for about $1.25 a pack to start with. some silver or pearl crystal flash is a good starting point. Some strung hackle in white and chartruse will get you making some deceivers. For head cement, you can use daves flexement, clear nail polish or epoxy. The easiest is the clear nail polish which you can pick up at any drug store.

This should get you going for now. You can "amass" materials in the future but this shopping list will get your feet wet. With everything I listed (including the Terra vise) you are looking around $150.00 give or take a few bucks.

As to where to get your materials, Efingers in Bound brook has all your essentials and if you go with my vise recomendation, thats the only place to get it that I know of. There is also Ramsey outdoors in Ledgewood and Tightlines fly outfitters in Pine Brook. TL's is a high end shop that stocks an incredible amount of materials. It looks like The online store here may be stocking materials in the future. Please support them as well as yur local shops.

Hope this helps
Brian
BrianM38
BrianM38

Number of posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 3/17/2009, 7:12 pm

wow thats great Very Happy thanks a lot brian thats a lot of help!

efingers is my spot for everything else, that store is great..catch the sale this week lol

thanks again
zach
naspinsz
naspinsz

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianM38 3/19/2009, 12:57 am

naspinsz wrote:wow thats great Very Happy thanks a lot brian thats a lot of help!

efingers is my spot for everything else, that store is great..catch the sale this week lol

thanks again
zach

No problem. Just remember to tie the simple patterns first. Master them before taking it to another level. Start with some easy bucktail teasers, then move up to deceivers, then maybe some clousers. Those 3 flies will get you into the basics of tying. Then you can start with some more intrcate patterns. I know its hard but stay with one fly until you can repeat it to your liking over and over.
BrianM38
BrianM38

Number of posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down