Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Greenie Question

4 posters

Go down

Another Greenie Question Empty Another Greenie Question

Post  Zmat 4/14/2012, 5:45 pm

I'm ready to strip the paint off of my 704 greenie and want to know what everyone did for the inside of the housing. Did you just leave the paint or strip it? I'm also going to get some paint this weekend so I'm open to suggestions.

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Another Greenie Question Empty Re: Another Greenie Question

Post  handyman 4/14/2012, 10:17 pm

yea the older greenies can be stripped but the newer penns have been anodized which is a pain...have you looked into powder coating ?........the shops that did mine over soda blast them......then heat the metal up and clean it with a solvent before powder coating.......good tuff finish.......they blast every part of the reel the houseing and the cup and the spool.........the powder coating could run you anywere from 60.00-125.00.........if your gona paint the greenie.......i think AUDI put out a close match in the green color along with Volkswagon......ill post some pics of some ive got powdercoated.....and some im working on.........the greenie should strip fine cup and all.........ther are some Appliance epoxy paints out there (rust-oleum put one out) not to sure of the color choices thow........depends on your budget......but the powder coating is durable.....plus i restore them and they prolly never see salt water again..............i know its crazy just another obsession i got myself into.................good luck on your project

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 4/14/2012, 10:44 pm

hey ZMAT........forgot something to mention ....CARB-MEDIC.....carb cleaner comes in a gal. with the cleaning tray......works great on all the loose parts.......cleans all the grease off all the parts.....

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 4/15/2012, 9:17 am

Thanks for the info. I've got everything nice and clean, just ready to mess with paint. I know a guy who does powdercoating, but doesn't it chip? The whole reason I bought this reel is to have something I can beat up on then service easily.

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 4/15/2012, 9:34 am

yea hands down cant beat the O'L 704 for maint..........well i guess it depends on how ruff you are on you equipment yea it will chip if ya drop the reel on the jetty rocks........i kinda go easy on all my equipment.......and i just restore the O'l reels.........ya got to love it when ya get an old greenie and the bail dont flip over and it dosent turn freely.....just a little cleaning and some new parts and a bath in some carb-medic and its like new again.......and spins like a top.......it a reel ya just cant kill.......if ya check out the collectors thread out theres a greenie i did over which was 45 years old and a newer penn 704 custom in black around 25years

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 4/16/2012, 6:52 pm

Zmat I hope you take some pictures as you do the project and post them.

One thing an old timer got me into doing is taking a dremel tool with a cloth wheel and polishing up all the brass gears and shaft and other internal parts. I'm convinced it has less friction afterwards and that means a smoother feel and reeling. Good luck with the refurbish and you'll love it afterwards.
And maybe a new main bearing wouldn't hurt.

This is my bailless 710

Another Greenie Question P1170625

and this is my 704 bailless

Another Greenie Question P2140002

Sorry about the size of the pictures.
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 4/18/2012, 2:28 pm

Take a look what this guy did to his Greenie when he refurbished his wow
He buffed and polished it up with cloth wheels and different grades of polishing compounds till it shined.

Another Greenie Question 600x450px-LL-dffed0af_photo-3

I might try this if I refurbish another 710
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 4/18/2012, 3:28 pm

thanks for the idea charlie, definitely one of the nicest paint (or lack there of) schemes I've seen.

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 6/22/2012, 7:22 pm

Another Greenie Question 03811this is what i did with mine. used it once this year and i love it. just hose it off after im done and good to go. Another Greenie Question 00311did one for a friend last month he loves it and it is fun to do.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 6/22/2012, 7:28 pm

nice dozer.......looks good excellant job sweet ...........shop around for a chrome power knob and a chrome arm.......or get the arm chromed

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 6/22/2012, 7:30 pm

Mine's been sitting on the shelf for a while. Last time I tinkered with it I was attempting to strip the paint off of it and it didn't work out too well. Aircraft grade paint stripper from advanced auto didn't do the trick. Try again with the same stuff o some other method?

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 6/22/2012, 9:00 pm

yea the anodized can be a pain.......blasting dose the trick

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 6/22/2012, 9:53 pm

sorry, no blaster available to me. It would be nice. Guess I'll keep hacking away with the spray.

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 6/28/2012, 7:44 pm

zat, send it to me and i will blast it for you. takes about 10 minutes.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 6/28/2012, 9:07 pm

Amazing work there wow Dozer
Can I ask what your buffing process was to polish the reel and did you seal it with anything ?
I'd love to try that finish. Again a great job Another Greenie Question 560155
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 6/28/2012, 10:28 pm

charlie, i first glass beaded it and got all the paint off. them sanded it by hand with 600 grit paper, then put a buffing wheel in the drill press and used flitz metal polish to get the finish. no i didnt put anything on it and in hindsight i should. since i used it i washed it real good and when it dried it had some white furry powder on it which i have to remove. after i do i think im gonna try clearcoating it. or i may look into anodizing it.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 6/29/2012, 12:35 am

dozer 277 wrote:zat, send it to me and i will blast it for you. takes about 10 minutes.

I may take you up on that offer. It's not going well even after round 2. mad

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 7/2/2012, 10:34 am

just throw it in a box and send it. save yourself the frustration. and all the chemicals. give me a call for info. 973-886-7573.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down