Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD

4 posters

Go down

Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD  Empty Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD

Post  Captain Ahab 9/2/2013, 1:40 pm

Baxter and I left at o\'dark thirty to run south to the Jackspot - Given that the Reeltreiver is only a 20\' CC we kept careful eye on the weather. Forcast called for 3-5 waves but mainly as a swell - wind was good - less then 10 mph out of the NE switching to South later in the day

As we passed OC inlet we spot a dead bottle nose dolphin - stinky and partially decomposed. We called the CG who relayed the location to NOAA. As we passed the 15 fathom area the water started turning more blue then green and we got temp readings above 75* - good sign.

Tolled from the Jack out about 5 miles with nothing doing. Made a run out a little further to the Hambone area and kept our eyes open for debris to cast at for tasties - passed a few Mylar balloons drifting and checked out each one - after a few I told Capt. Baxter that \"the next thing we find will hold a mahi.\" He failed to respond (I tend to ramble a lot on this offshore trips and he probably learned to ignore me).

About 10 minutes later we see another balloon - we slide up to it and I see a small bull swim out - we toss bait and a few minutes later (and after some nice acrobatics) we have a chicken size bull in the box. We continue on and, of course, there is nothing else - no trash, no balloons nothin! Set up on the troll at the fingers, toll to the hambone and troll through the chicken bone without a touch. Only a few other boats out - Water was clean and about 78* - Looked good but charlie did not want to come up to taste our treats.

We did locate a few fish pot markers and after a few hours of baking in the sun decided to chase mahi - we intended to use the track lines to go back to where we saw the markers but did not realize that the machine was overwriting them - Capt. Baxter had an idea on the chart where we saw them and we made a run south in search of. By this point we have a super clear sky and sun in the west really limiting what we could see through the water glare - and fish pot markers are small

Could not find the ones we were looking for and turned towards home with the game plan being \"if we saw anything we would work it\" We quickly ran into a nice line of markers and eased up on pot number one - tossed bait but again, sun glare was bad for seeing much - cast out and WHAM! Mahi on! I kept the fish in the water and Baxter casts behind it because where there is one there is usually a few more - and he hooks up right away. I start fighting my fish which does a series of nice jumps and I see that our lines are now together - tangled! I bring the fish in which is wrapped in line and discover that this Mahi ate both our hooks and the series of jumps made a mess of the lines

We grabbed another spinning rod and landed another fish while we cleared the lines and reset. Off to another pot and this one was the honey hole - I hook a big bull that rips drag and leaps like crazy - Baxter hooks up and we manage to get a few in a row landing and holding in sequence.

After a few fish Baxter decides to try out is patented one handed gaff move on a nice size fish - sticks it and the fish had other ideas - flips out ripping the gaff from his hand - DOWN PERISCOPE as the gaff slowly sinks out of sight. Did manage to get the Mahi in anyway so SCORE!

a few pots over Baxter hooks some sort of Jack (we think) - and a few more nice size Mahi

Final count is one Jack and 9 tasties

Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD  Mhitable_zps8a5d9e7c

On the way in we interrupted some turtle love when we went over the explore some big splashes - they were not happy at the turtluis interruptuos. I told them to get a room!

For those who need to know - we use very light Spinning outfits with 2500 or 3000 series size reels, 20 lb braid to a Alberto knot (no swivels as teh Mahi can be line shy on occasion - plus they always get reeled into the top eye of the rod) for a 4-6\' top shot of 20 lb floro or mono to a loop - pre-rig a mess of hooks on a few feet of 20 or 30 lb leader with a loop. We toss the mahi in the fish box as soon as it comes over and cut the line at the loop - slide on a new pre-rigged hook and get the line right back out. Loop to loop connection for the quick change

This works great for 2 guys and allows us to hold one mahi in the water and take turns maximizing the catching.

We keep a third rod ready as well and sometimes will hook Mahi #1 and just stick the rod in a holder casting the 3rd rod until we get number 2 and repeat.

Bait for us is whole squid and chunked ballyhoo as the attraction

Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD  IMG959597_zps79e40137

Also managed a Crevvele Jack around 7 lbs

Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD  IMG_4410_zps1d5b547f
Captain Ahab
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD  Empty Re: Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD

Post  handyman 9/2/2013, 4:16 pm

nice capt.ahab

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD  Empty Re: Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD

Post  jimfishUK 9/2/2013, 5:16 pm

Great catch Cap'n.
You certainly have some fun over there!
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  kingfishking 9/4/2013, 2:26 pm

Nice fish Jack Spot and East - 8-30-13 DE and MD  870783 
kingfishking
kingfishking
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 458

http://www.mtlmfg.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down