Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from over the pond

+2
JeffL
jimfishUK
6 posters

Go down

Hello from over the pond Empty Hello from over the pond

Post  jimfishUK 12/27/2012, 6:08 am

Hello to everyone, I am a keen fisherman here in Uk.
If it swims I'll fish for it; bait, fly or lure!
My mate is wanting to target our bass with light tackle & lures/plugs this season, so I was looking to see how you lot do it over here. Bass are Bass, wherever they swim.
A lot of interesting threads & the plug-building ones have got me thinking..
So I've started a new hobby to go with the fly-tying, float making, rig design, etc.
FJR has kindly let me try to copy one of his desingns (thanks again Frank), so I will post a pic of my very first plug sometime. Give you all a laugh!
Anyway, nice to meet you & if anyones ever over here & needs advice on uk fishing (Scotland is great!), glad to help.
Jim.
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Hello from over the pond Empty Re: Hello from over the pond

Post  JeffL 12/27/2012, 9:55 pm

Welcome To SBO Hello from over the pond 742713 Hope ya like it here cheers
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 12/27/2012, 10:52 pm

welcome aboard injoy your stay Hello from over the pond 742713

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  jimfishUK 12/28/2012, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the 'hellos'; I'm already enjoying it, thankyou! Getting into the plug-building & learning loads. You lot are making some quite amazing lures, paint-jobs to die for...
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Back to top Go down

Post  MarkC 12/28/2012, 6:56 pm

Welcome To SBO

Damm Brits are taking over lol
MarkC
MarkC

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 12/28/2012, 9:55 pm

Welcome To SBO
Jim welcome I hope you post some of your work as it will be interesting to see how fish catching items differ from ones here in the USA.
Again Hello from over the pond 742713 aboard Jim
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  jimfishUK 1/2/2013, 6:04 am

Thanks Charlie. Will do.
Have mostly used plugs to fish shallow rough ground with a flooding tide (we get BIG tides over here, as much as 35 feet on Somerset's North Coast), so the tide-rip can be fierce. Target species for the bass are small rock-living species, such as wrasse & blennies, sandeels, mackerel & what we call whitebait or brit (small silver juveniles of various ocean-roaming species), depending on time of year. The season is pretty well May to October, with the fish moving offshore in the colder months; though I had a 2 pounder in December, on bait & an 8 pounder on the last day of October on a soft plastic, deep over a reef.
Our fish are not nearly as big as yours, with the record at 19 pounds.
I've got 5 plugs almost finished now & the learning curve is STEEP, ouch. Am really enjoying it, love the hand-carving, something primeaval about it; the feel & smell of the wood, drawing out the fish-shape, getting it just right, pleasing to the eye..
I do it all with my great Boker knife (German), if you don't know these knives, get to.. their quality speaks for itself. It's hard work but I can do it OK.
The paint-jobs have been the challenge. Whew, nerve-racking stuff; Been using rattle-cans (like using a lump-hammer for panel-pins!) but getting the hang of it, using the edge of the spray-cone..
Will invest in lathe, airbrush, etc. now the holidays are over; ADVICE PLEASE, any pointers really appreciated.. will search for threads on here, too.
Also, how do I load a photo? When I click the image icon, a box appears & it wants a 'URL', not good with these things (give me a gundog to train, a child to amuse , a lamb to birth, wood to cut, a cabin to build.. technology is a struggle for me), what is this & how does it work please??

Cheers, Charlie & everybody,
Jim.
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 1/10/2013, 11:16 am

Hi Jim Welcome To SBO

Looking forward to more posts, interesting to see how it's done in other parts of the world.

Posting a photo is done with the host an image icon, after it's hosted use right click copy and paste.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down