Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Around the back last night

+2
Captain Ahab
CaptFrank
6 posters

Go down

Around the back last night Empty Around the back last night

Post  CaptFrank 9/10/2012, 10:57 am

Finally got out and hit the back bays last night. The week school starts always seems to tie everything up. Steady pay checks will be nice though. Anyway, my first three stops were all Peanut Bunker and small Blues. Things were looking a bit discouraging. My fourth stop had a few other guys there fishing and collecting Peanuts for later use. I found a quiet corner and made a cast. I got nailed! But I missed. Next cast I was nailed again, hooked up, but came unbuttoned. Third cast i hooked up again, got a nice Weakie about half way up when it dropped off my jig. Two casts later I finally hauled one up. 18". CPR fishing tonight, catch, photograph, and released. Next stop looked fishy. Bait everywhere, pops, and flashes. Got a bunch of hits but never hooked up. Moved on. Next place was loaded with small Stripers. Got a bunch of tail tugs, but no action. Next three stops were either loaded with guys fishing or devoid of life. Next to last stop, my favorite bridge, was all mine. I worked a shallow area first with no luck, then moved top side. Found some Bass holding on the down current side. Placed a few casts across their noses, but they snubbed me. Then vanished. Moved to the upcurrent side and tried for a Flattie. No takers, other than Blues tearing me up. Checked for the Stripers again, and saw one. Made a cast and let my jig sit there for a minute while I brushed a bug off my leg. That's when I got nailed. Hauled up a nice 22" Striper and released it. Bass vanished again, so I played with the Blues. After about 50 hits, and four fall offs, I finally landed one. Planned on keeping a few for Flounder bait, but tossed it back. Tried once more for a Flounder. Even back tracked to a spot that usually guarantees a Flattie, but it wasn't meant to be. Not wanting to be zombie in class tomorrow, I called it a night. Things are looking up! Should only get better from here on.

Tight Lines!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Number of posts : 230

http://www.brynnie-binshorefishing.com

Back to top Go down

Around the back last night Empty Re: Around the back last night

Post  Captain Ahab 9/10/2012, 12:59 pm

Thanks for the report - night time in the bay is really great this time of year

And the fish will keep getting bigger for you!
Captain Ahab
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 9/10/2012, 5:29 pm

Nice report once again ... Around the back last night 92223
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 9/10/2012, 7:11 pm

Nice report looks like you had a good night cheers
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 9/10/2012, 8:30 pm

They always say when its sloppy out front you should try around the back. Very Happy

Nice report.

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptFrank 9/11/2012, 8:32 am

Amazing how it can chqnge from one night to the next. Went again last night, basically the same spots, same lures, and couldn't buy a bite. Only tiny Blues around. And Peanut Bunker. The highlight of the night was when I foundba small fuzzy ball laying behind my truck. Out of curiosity I poked it with my shoe. The fuzzy ball sprouted wings and flew up into my face! Somehow I managed to keep my composure and not scream like a girl. I did jump bqck about 10 feet though. Rich thought it was quite funny.... Don't mess with little balls of fur in the street!
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Back to top Go down

Around the back last night Empty Another shot in the back

Post  CaptFrank 9/14/2012, 1:02 am

Figured I'd post my latest here, since it's another back bay trip...

Ran around in the back bays tonight with me, myself, and I. First stop looked awesome. There were 8 Bass hanging out under a light, some looked to be pushing keeper size. I pitched my jig out and let it drift back with the current. I got a tail tug from one of the larger of the group, then they all just floated away on the current. I worked the area over and managed 2 shorties around 18". Disappointing after the nice Bass that were hanging out there when I arrived. Next stop was dead. Next two were crowded. Hit a bridge and it was quiet around the bridge itself. But you could hear Bass tearing up schools of Bunker just out of casting range. Shot up North to check on a few spots that have been producing Weakies, but they were quiet except for bait and small Blues. Hit another favorite spot, that has been quiet lately. When I walked up the Blues were tearing up the bait fish. I managed to pull a nice 21" Striper out from under a dock. No other takers. Tried two other spots with no luck and called it night. Got back home in time to watch the final few minutes of the game. Cup of ice cream to top off the night, and all is good.

Tight Lines!
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 9/14/2012, 10:30 am

sounds like a good night ......nice report.........ya had to mention icecream.......now im jones'en

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptFrank 9/14/2012, 1:29 pm

Thanks Handyman. Ice cream gets me every time. It's my weakness. If my wife buys it, I scarf it down. Bad habit...
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 9/14/2012, 4:09 pm

LOL capt...me to...... i can down a half gal in one sitting no problem.....its the addiction in me

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down