Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something different I've been playing with

4 posters

Go down

Something different I've been playing with Empty Something different I've been playing with

Post  Charlie G. 8/12/2012, 11:33 pm

I'm building a rod to give to my nephew to fish fresh water with. He doesn't know it yet.

I wanted to do something different for him so I've been tinkering with "invisible thread wraps" on the guides. How do I get myself into these PIA projects.
I painted the blank a greenish blue color and also painted the reel seat to match the blank.

I turned some custom cork split grips, and went the easy route by using heat shrink between the rear split grips.

I've been doing test wraps with silk thread and thinned out epoxy to cover the thread. The silk is suppose to turn invisible when finished. That way it looks like nothing is holding the guide on but epoxy. Below are a few pictures of how I have got it to look so far.
This isn't the painted blank but a junk test blank so it doesn't matter how I screw it up. I'm not happy with it yet but with a few more trials I'll get it right.

First try and a shitty picture.

Something different I've been playing with P8090422-1

4th test wrap, it's getting better, but no cigar yet.

Something different I've been playing with P8120430

Something different I've been playing with P8120429

More work then I thought. He better like it lol!
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Something different I've been playing with Empty Re: Something different I've been playing with

Post  Zmat 8/13/2012, 1:55 am

pretty cool charlie. Nice and stealthy. Something different I've been playing with 870783

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Something different I've been playing with Empty Re: Something different I've been playing with

Post  dozer 277 8/13/2012, 8:34 pm

charlie thats very cool, i had no idea you could do that. i cant wait to see the final job. to answer your question yes im still weaving. i cannot get enough of it. the looms you gave me are great. i did my first weave with masking tape only, cant believe it worked. i just went online and downloaded bart simpson, yosemite sam, bugs bunny, peppy le pew, and daffy duck patterns. and for christmas i have asked for the software to make my own patterns from pictures. soon i will be able to put a pic of a guys girlfriend on his fishing rod. then take it off when she dumps him. LOL. enjoy and i will let you know about the thread. i do need some specific colors for a rescue squad volunteer im making a surf rod for. might try to weave the logo also.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 8/14/2012, 11:13 pm

Looks alot better in person.. Can't wait till ur done with the real thing..
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down