Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new rod question

+5
JeffL
ChrisL
JayDizzle
naspinsz
Menacer
9 posters

Go down

new rod question Empty new rod question

Post  Menacer 11/22/2011, 12:00 am

Im going to be getting a new plugging rod by the end of the season start of next. looking for an 10 6 all around plugger that will pencil pop well but also be able to swing some weight if i need to.
Right now im torn between a few. The St. Croix Mojo or the Legend....Is the legend worth the price and if so why not get custom at that point which brings me to my next set of rods....Custom Seeker Baby Ulua or CSW1008.

I have felt all these rods in had but have had a chance to cast them. They all seem pretty comparable with the exception of the mojo which has slightly lower end components.

Does anyone have one of these and if so what are your experiences them.
Menacer
Menacer

Number of posts : 322

Back to top Go down

new rod question Empty Re: new rod question

Post  naspinsz 11/22/2011, 1:09 am

i have the 10 6 mojo and love it....it's got enough stiffness to throw pencils, but can handle bigger plugs and bait if need be. haven't had any issues with any of the components, but i am pretty type A and take good care of my stuff!

good luck!
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  Menacer 11/23/2011, 12:48 am

How is it with casting bombers and things like that!
Menacer
Menacer

Back to top Go down

Post  JayDizzle 11/23/2011, 10:50 am

My buddy says his 10'6" Mojo is a little stiff for his liking. The dude Mark from SI we were fishing with was using the 10'6" Legend 3/4-4 and he was pencil popping and casting a freakin mile. But for $430, I'd be going custom.
JayDizzle
JayDizzle

Number of posts : 366

https://www.facebook.com/decarlojason

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisL 11/23/2011, 4:11 pm

I'm the buddy with the 10'6 mojo Jay speaks of.
It is a little stiff for some things, like smaller swimmers. It casts a 2.5oz pencil well, but isnt quite whippy as i would like to work the pencil properly.
The past week I've been casting AVA 017 & 027 & 2oz Thex a country mile with it. I was able to get past the bar where Jay's 9ft wouldnt reach.
Regardless of size, the Mojo is a good rod for fighting fish. Just have to find the sweet spot of each size/rating.

If we happen to fish together before the season ends, you're welcome to try it out.

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 316

Back to top Go down

Post  Menacer 11/23/2011, 4:55 pm

Chris I figured it would be ok with stuff around that size but how is it with the 1- 1 1/2 stuff(light wood and bombers)?
Menacer
Menacer

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 11/23/2011, 6:01 pm

Menacer wrote:Im going to be getting a new plugging rod by the end of the season start of next. looking for an 10 6 all around plugger that will pencil pop well but also be able to swing some weight if i need to.
Right now im torn between a few. The St. Croix Mojo or the Legend....Is the legend worth the price and if so why not get custom at that point which brings me to my next set of rods....Custom Seeker Baby Ulua or CSW1008.

I have felt all these rods in had but have had a chance to cast them. They all seem pretty comparable with the exception of the mojo which has slightly lower end components.

Does anyone have one of these and if so what are your experiences them.
Well by ur post .. U have it narrowed down to the Mojo or lengend since seeker stops at 10' new rod question 56958
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  Menacer 11/23/2011, 6:14 pm

ehh that was supposed to say 10 - 10 6
Menacer
Menacer

Back to top Go down

Post  Large John 11/23/2011, 6:54 pm

Gonna throw a CTS 10-6 this week, its a friend's rod, think it wraps out at around $419 right around the Ledgend price.
Ill let ya know what I think. its rated 1-4 I was told it throws 4.5 pencils just fine
Large John
Large John

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisL 11/23/2011, 7:33 pm

The lighter stuff like that is where it doesnt do well. I've used it for them, but the 9ft would be better for them.
Honestly, you should do two sticks, 1 in the 9ft range for the lighter stuff and 1 in the 10 6 range for the other stuff. It's gonna be hard to find something that covers the whole range and does it good.

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 316

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 12/1/2011, 10:12 pm

i have a mojo conven. and love but it doesnt like less than an ounce and 3/4 i have a cheaper tsunami that i realy like awesome warranty and throws lighter stuff with no problems hope this helps a lil
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Montauk Mike 11/23/2012, 6:09 pm

You just cant have a rod that will throw pencils, plugs and bombers that will excel at all three. These rods are quite stiff. May well cast pencils a long way but what about fishing them. Pencil specific design rods are not stiff casting machines.

To do what you are looking to do there are better rods around. Take a look at CTS 1-3oz Vapour Trail and Lami stand by GSB 1211L or even better 1321M. These are blanks but you can get these built for around $300 to $400 custom.

The GSB's have a parabolic action and can cast both low around 1oz weights and up to 4ozs. But they can work pencils pretty well. It is not all about casting. Your call.

Mike

Montauk Mike

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 12/24/2012, 3:09 pm

if you find a blank you like i will put it together for you. i have a guy that i get all my components from and he has been a wealth of knowledge. doing a 9'6" 10wt flyrod right now and i have others i have built i can show you. i have 4 in the works right now. you can customize it to fit your arm length and casting style. that is why i am sold on custom stuff. i was forced to learn how to build cause IM CHEAP, LOL not really just love the hobby. there is alot you can do when you build it yourself. call me after christmas if you want. 973-886-7573

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down