Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated.

2 posters

Go down

HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. Empty HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated.

Post  dozer 277 5/11/2011, 8:56 am

ok i need some help. this is my second attempt on this rod. HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. Img00210first attempt the epoxie never hardened. it was old and i guess i should have thrown it out. here is the first wrap that i had to cut off and clean with solvent to get back to square one. HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. Img00211 problem is i cannot get the threads to stay packed. i have tried thread preserver, and it just allows the NCP thread to stretch and it makes a mess. once i coat it you cannot touch them or they basically stretch out and look like crap. this is a cod rod for a buddie. notice the cod decal? i tried procote this time and am having a better time with it. i guess my question is how do you guys get the wraps to stay together during the wrapping process? i tried to apply preserver after about 5 threads of wrapping, wait till it dries then get back to it. is it normal for preserver to allow the threads to stretch so much or am i using the wrong stuff? that was my first attempt at a chevron wrap and i like the look but i need to get better at it. i have 3 more rods to do, (yes i'm hooked on this also, kinda like plug building) and i want to see progression in my quality. oh i also changed to procote finish, a little thinner but much nicer to work with. no bubbles and dries very nice. i also bought a real rod wrapper and cannot believe i was using my homemade one before this. so much easier to work with. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dozer 277 on 5/11/2011, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. Empty Re: HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated.

Post  dozer 277 5/11/2011, 9:10 am

for any of the ladies on here this is for my daughter. HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. Img00212it has hologram guides with blue anodized frames. i am trying Doc Ski's tiger wrap on this one and if it comes out ok i will post up some pics. HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. Img00213i am done with the under wrap and burnished it all different ways, i used pink white and burgundy for the first wraps and am gonna use purple for the remaining thread on the over wrap. it has 1 coat of clear on the under so far, tonite i do the second coat. then i have to go get the kids back from college so it will have time to dry and next week i will start the top layer. so far the random burnishing looks pretty cool. not sure if jersey coast is a sponsor here (if not smitty please delete this part) but he has been great and very helpful. so much so that i bring home at least one more blank every time i go there. this is a seeker blank, SW708 i believe. slow action and very light. i am having alot of fun turning down the grips and shaping them to suit the owners hands and putting them where they work best for them. i just have to figure out this wrapping thing and try to raise the bar on my quality. if the tiger wrap works i am gonna try one inbetween the 2 grips on the butt end, instead of the shrink tubing. this guide is just wrapped nothing else, so if anyone wants to chime in and let me know from here moving forward what i should be doing next please feel free to let me know, and dont be nice let me know what you think. i need the critique here.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. Empty Re: HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated.

Post  doublerunner 5/14/2011, 10:18 pm

First off I like your work. Your chevron and the matching trim bands are sharp

Okay now color preserver is great to use in spots as a lock down. But since you are using ncp thread you don't want to use cp. Because after you apply the finish the threads without cp will be darker than the ones with cp. If you are going to use cp as a lock down do not do it as you go along. Wait until the whole wrap is done. If you are having problems with threads coming loose after using cp you are not using enough tension on your wrap or too much cp or both. If you do the whole wrap using madeira thread or regular nylon thread then you use cp on everything and this may make it easier for you to lock everything down. But if you have any gaps they will show up. Make sure everything is packed tight and burnished before applying cp
doublerunner
doublerunner

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 5/16/2011, 6:28 pm

double runner, sorry for taking so long to reply, was out of town for the weekend. thanks for the compliment, and yes the problem i had was because i used CP only at the intersections and it looked horrible. i use only NCP thread so no more cp for me. i am still working out how much tension to use. as far as threads coming loose i think the cp allows the NCP thread to stretch which makes a mess. i am going to try and slow down my wrapping a little and try to keep things tighter as i go. one thing i have noticed is the cotton or whatever its called doesnt stretch at all with cp on it. so i am experimenting there. i tried the tiger wrap i got from an online tutorial and here it is the pics suck but the effect is pretty cool. its more purple than i thought it would be but its for my daughter and she loves it. HELP me i'm getting a little frustrated. 00310

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum