Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

started already this weekend.

3 posters

Go down

started already this weekend. Empty started already this weekend.

Post  dozer 277 12/20/2010, 6:04 pm

ok i got 4 seeker blanks. 3 are fluke and tog blanks, and one for a buddie for a cod rod. here goes. i started my fluke rod and tried something different. i used the shrink wrap for the aft grip. when i shrunk it it didnt come tight, so i let it cool and pulled it off. i tried some different methods for shaping and cutting the grips and didnt do too bad. i took a foregrip and cut it in half and shaped it to be the transition between the shrink wrap and the gimbal. also between the wrap and the reel seat. well long story short, got all the pieces on and lined up. i glued the shrink wrap on since it didnt shrink enough to be tight. and also trimmed down the foregrip and put that on. its drying as we speak so in 24 hrs i am gonna lay out the guides. NOW my question, i would like to try the spiral style on the guides and am not sure of the placement. i know the first one goes on top but after that im not sure. anybody who can help please chime in. also gonna do a rod for my daughter and use pink grips and holographic guides. also gonna wrap it with pink base thread. unfortunately i cannot post pics from my work computer so i have to do it from home. i will take some tomorrow and put them here for others to see and hopefully critique my work. (im serious i want all input here) i am building a tog rod for my friend and want it to come out good so im practicing on my own. merry christmas to all and after the kids go back to school i will start wrapping. that i will need help with because i want to get fancier with these. also need some color suggestions since i cannot put them together on my own. oh i spined all the rods and put the butts on all so they are set up when im ready to start on them. the rod im doing now is 7' 4" medium action blank with a light tip. it has more bend in it than i have used before so i think it will be fun. and when done i will have an ugly stick custom for sale cheap its a 6'6" light to medium action in good shape as i have to thin out the quiver to keep the wife happy.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

started already this weekend. Empty Re: started already this weekend.

Post  stevel 12/20/2010, 6:09 pm

way to go larry ...keep up the good work ....cant wait to see pics....HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND THE FAMILY......GOD BLESS
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 12/20/2010, 6:12 pm

merry christmas to you steve. yeah this is yet another obsession i have. it comes with a larger and more expensive learning curve.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 12/20/2010, 6:22 pm

Dozer if you go to "Acidrod.com" they show how to layout a spiral wrapped rod. It's listed on the home page I believe under what is an "Acid rod".
When I did mine that's where I got all the info from.

Can I ask what Seeker blanks you are using for your rods ? I have an "Inshore Light" coming to me this winter.
Maybe a smaller diameter shrink tubing would work on your diameter blank. They have all different sizes and colors.
Oh and Merry Christmas

started already this weekend. P2090080

started already this weekend. P2090079

Last edited by Charlie G. on 12/20/2010, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : encluded pictures)
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 12/20/2010, 8:58 pm

charlie, this one is an LB803M i cut it down to 7'4". yeah i should have gotten a little smaller tubing, it got tight to the rod but still moved a little so i just used the rodbuild and glued it on when i put the rest of the grips and reel seat on. actually worked out better as i was able to slide the shrink wrap under the lower foam piece and hide the ends. gives it a cleaner look without trying to cut it perfectly square. that picture is worth a ton as i can see how it progressively turns on the blank. and i will go to acid rods and see what they say. the other blank im using is a LB705B shorter and a little faster action than the 803. im new at this so we will see how they work out.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 12/21/2010, 6:18 pm

went to acid rods.com and printed off their protractor. i used it this morning and set up the guides at 0 degrees, 60, 120, 170 and the fifth one at 180 degrees. put the rest on the bottom (8 total plus a tip.) put a reel on it and tried it with the dog. ( my yorkie is getting to the point where when i come towards him with a fishing rod in my hands he gets very nervous) it looks weird but feels very nice. spacing looks good and line doesnt come near the blank under load. i think im gonna try this style so its underwrap time. color choice is the hardest part for me. some suggestions would be appreciated on this as i have no color ideas. oh the grip and reel seat came out great. i really like the shrink wrap it fits my small hands well.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 1/4/2011, 11:41 am

ok couldnt decide on colors so i used a few. started with a 2 thread underwrap of blue and yellow. this is a nice combo. it doesnt look like yellow or blue and depending on which way you burnish it it will change the look. then i did 2 guides each color. starting with dark green and moving up to yellow for the tip and last guide. they are done and cleared. the acid wrap design is kinda cool so we will see if it works for me. i started the butt wrap, first dark green progressing to yellow like the guides and now i am using blue dark to light blue opposite the green. i have 2 blue colors on it now and will prob. finish it when i get back from florida. i am kinda hooked on this rod building stuff now and am learning alot as i go. i have 3 more blanks to do so by the time i get to the last one i should be better at it. when i get some time i will take some pictures of it and post em from my home computer, as the work one will not let me post pics.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 1/4/2011, 4:31 pm

sounds like its going to be nice larry... started already this weekend. 92223

have fun on vaca in florida when and where you going....YOU GOT ROOM FOR ONE MORE..... started already this weekend. 622665
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 1/6/2011, 11:56 am

steve i finished it last night. it looks pretty good. i would like to post some pics but we are blocked at work so can i email you some and have you post em? we are leaving saturday 1-8-2011 am and coming back 1-15, going on a cruise from 9th to 14th but gonna fish this saturday and sunday. we will be going to sebastian inlet outside vero. i posted to roc about what to do since i've never been in fla this time of year. oh i will need your email addy. yeah i got 3 more blanks to do this winter and some plugs to finish so i hope to be busy till spring. heading to barcelona spain in feb. for 5 days with work. hoping to try fishing there. i sent a request to a marina there about hopping on a boat last minute so we will see what happens. 2 more days till fla i cant wait.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 1/6/2011, 1:24 pm

Larry glad the info was helpful and your layout worked for you.
As for colors, what color is the blank, reel and guides. Pix would be helpful. I have alot of thread so if you need a certain color PM me before you buy. remember if you don't use color preserver on the thread they will change color and what is underneath them can bleed thru. Try a test wrap on a painted dowel rod if not sure. I have seen metallic put under regular nylon thread and when it was epoxied the metallic bleed thru and looked cool.
I have found that a small trim ring 1 to 4 wraps looks best on a guide. If your doing trim rings. I use 1 or 2 anymore.
Good luck in your travels and fishing while there.
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 1/6/2011, 2:21 pm

thanks charlie. blanks are black gloss. guides are black and gold. i bought the kit of threads that dont need color preserver. (not sure of the type of thread) when i clear it the color darkens a little but definately pops. i have not had any bleed through problems yet. i have one question that is a problem on every wrap i do. how do you keep the thread from separating from each other and leaving gaps? i keep packing as i wrap but it always seems to come apart. usually right after i put the first coat of clear on it. then i go at it with a pin to try to tighten it back up but it never gets tight enough. this is only a problem with the diamond wraps not the guides and underwraps. those are fine. i also learned its better to pack towards the butt end than the tip. gets tighter quicker. i did find that if i do 2 sets of diamonds opposite each other the top one keeps the lower one in place better. this has been my major stumbling block right now. any help on this would be greatly appreciated as i am doing my daughters next and want it to come out good for her.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 1/6/2011, 6:44 pm

what size thread are you using for your wraps ?
One thing might be the tension of the thread in the wraps. Also are you rolling or burnishing your thread after it's packed tight on the wraps ?
That can flatten them a little and help fill in some openness and help hold them together.
I always put 1 coat of color preservative on my wraps even if I use NCP.
I find it can also work as a glue to hole everything tight together to.
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 1/7/2011, 11:36 am

good info charlie. i am using size c i believe and yes its NCP thread. yes i burnish it with the back of a teaspoon. i will try the color preserver on the next one. i have it but the thread said you didnt need it so i never thought of using it as a glue also. how long after color preserver can you clear the wraps? do you think my tension is too high or should i just experiment with different tensions? also i tried using the measurment around the blank mid way and used this as a guide for diamond spacing but it looked too far spread apart so i tightened it up some. boy there is alot to learn here. oh i put the reel on it last night and hooked it to a table, it was amazing how the rod doesnt want to twist when reeling with the acid wrap. i think i like this style and will do another one just the same. well getting ready to leave for my trip so thanks again and i hope to have some fish pics when i return.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 1/7/2011, 11:39 am

charlie i would like to email you some pic so you can see the wraps. also since i cannot post pics from work could you post them here for me?

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 1/7/2011, 11:46 am

started already this weekend. Wraps_12started already this weekend. Wraps_13 nevermind they have allowed us axcess to post pics now.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down